Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 09:05 PM

39,192 posts, read 27,570,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
So no one is alarmed by the blatant dishonesty of recruiters and soldiers? Then, we're supposed to honor them? Geesh.
well, what do you mean "them", not everybody lied to get in. Plus, let's say somebody lied about their marijuana use or childhood asthma (not good, not worth it, I am not defending this behavior), but he saved his fellow soldiers or Marines in battlefield, such a guy should not be honored? Life is rarely all white or all black.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-19-2019 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 09:28 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
So no one is alarmed by the blatant dishonesty of recruiters and soldiers? Then, we're supposed to honor them? Geesh.
You don't know what questions the OP is referring to.
If you have ever used LSD, or have used marijuana more than three times, it was a disqualification when I went in. Some of the rules for enlistment are outdated and ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, what do you mean "them", not everybody lied to get in. Plus, let's say somebody lied about their marijuana use or childhood asthma (not good, not worth it, I am not defending this behavior), but he saved his fellow soldiers or Marines in battlefield, such a guy should not be honored? Life is rarely all white or all black.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:21 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,322,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
If you want a fairy tale answer, then stop reading my post now.

You need to forget about the Marine Corps and move on with your life.

My recruiter told me to lie, and I did. You wanted to be a part of something. The first people who tried to help you get there knew the system, and what stood in your way. They tried to help you, and you backstabbed them. You've shown that your ass is more important than your team. I've never been a recruiter, but I could imagine something like this (or a few) could cause someone to lose there recruiting status, and be a negative mark on their record. It is also now on your record that you have lied on govt documents. This might actually follow you and them a lot longer.
100% the recruiter got in trouble. I know a ton of AF recruiters who tell applicants to lie, for themselves, and a ton that have gotten in trouble for it. Some in big trouble. Often, a recruiter knows it is the only way for the kid to get into the military, so they risk it.
Sometimes they are just trying to make goal....

Old 06-20-2019, 03:24 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,322,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres34578 View Post
Its dealing with education status and sadly any moron can find this paperwork and their is a lot of it medical and what the school is dealing with.
I am going to assume this was ADD/ADHD/Learning disability.
You did well enough on the ASVAB that the recruiter thought it was easier to hide it.
Good luck getting in, the paperwork burden on you will be intense to get this cleared. But, people are able to do it, so good luck!

Old 06-20-2019, 06:45 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,741,584 times
Just get the paperwork you were asked to get, turn it in, and wait for the results. You're fine. I don't know exactly what this is involving, and it might be easier to answer if we did know, but I guess you're not comfortable revealing it here, and that's certainly your right.

Don't worry about getting your recruiter in trouble, he's a big boy and he can take his own lumps. Recruiters lie A LOT, and so him telling you to lie was just business as usual for them, and I'm sure their higher ups are aware of this. It's not your problem.

Good for you for wanting to serve your country, and good luck with your enlistment.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:15 AM

5,715 posts, read 4,680,176 times
Quote:
well, which is why I said ".. can be"

which is why I said, "you never have to worry about being arrested."

With all due respect, you never heard of something, doesn't mean it never happened. You never heard of it probably because they did not bother to check on you or didn't bother to pursue it. It STILL CAN BE a felony.

I have no ideas why some people (not saying you) on the internet always take this kind of thing so lightly. Imagine if somebody are reading this thread, I think they need to know the potential consequence (the worst case scenario) and make wise choice.

Like I posted in another thread, they probably will never find out, they (military) probably will never bother to check you out, but it simply is not worth it to lie in order to be accepted. You have to worry about that lie for the rest of your life.

Plus, op said "it would take a google search to find all that medical stuff on me " I don't think he meant dope smoking.

Plus, isn't that The US Military has officially said that smoking marijuana in the past will no longer be an issue? The standard these days is "...pre-service marijuana use without exposure to legal proceedings is in itself not disqualifying." (I am not 100% sure about this, so feel free to correct me) The worst case scenario, they gave you a waiver. The best case scenario, they probably won't even care. They know that you have to stay clean after joining anyway, so the people who have to depend on drugs and couldn't quit probably shouldn't join anyway.

I imagine that the military gets more than its fair share of applicants who have some degree of history with illegal (as in federally illegal) drug use. What’s probably more important to recruiters in the present is that you are no longer using drugs, have no intention of using drugs while waiting to go to basic training, and can pass a drug test now and any time prior to your shipping out.
You have exactly how many days in uniform?

I didn't exist in a bubble. I've talked to friends in multiple branches. I know people who have served 20+ years to retirement that were diagnosed with asthma as kids. Never told the recruiter. Education professionals clear transcripts of good kids who made a mistake so that the marginal kid can get in.

I know too many Soldiers who got stuck on recruiting duty and had their careers and promotions, tied to getting people in. They lie. They tell their recruits to lie. They coat fat kids with Preparation H and plastic wrap in an attempt to get them through the tape.

This is just reality.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
If you want a fairy tale answer, then stop reading my post now.

You need to forget about the Marine Corps and move on with your life.

My recruiter told me to lie, and I did. You wanted to be a part of something. The first people who tried to help you get there knew the system, and what stood in your way. They tried to help you, and you backstabbed them. You've shown that your ass is more important than your team. I've never been a recruiter, but I could imagine something like this (or a few) could cause someone to lose there recruiting status, and be a negative mark on their record. It is also now on your record that you have lied on govt documents. This might actually follow you and them a lot longer.
Thank you. The truth is hard for some to swallow. It's a hard task on recruiting duty.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
You have exactly how many days in uniform?

I didn't exist in a bubble. I've talked to friends in multiple branches. I know people who have served 20+ years to retirement that were diagnosed with asthma as kids. Never told the recruiter. Education professionals clear transcripts of good kids who made a mistake so that the marginal kid can get in.

I know too many Soldiers who got stuck on recruiting duty and had their careers and promotions, tied to getting people in. They lie. They tell their recruits to lie. They coat fat kids with Preparation H and plastic wrap in an attempt to get them through the tape.

This is just reality.
I found your first question to be extremely ridiculous.

Do anybody need to spend days in uniform to know

A Fraudulent enlistment can be a felony?

Like I said earlier, people who are reading the thread needs to know the POTENTIAL consequences of lying.

Did I say anybody who lie would be arrested? I say a fraudulent enlistment CAN BE a felony, so it is not worth it to lie.

ALL I am saying is that OP does not have to worry about getting arrested EVER because he chose to be honest. Sheesh

Plus, op has already clarified, it was not about some marijuana use, it was his past medical record and anybody could be able to find that out simply by googling him. What is the point for him to lie about it? OP makes it very clear that he wants to work for the government in the future, 100% honesty is what he should be.

by the way, not everybody drives too fast will get a speeding ticket, but it doesn't mean speeding ticket does not exist. This is the point I am making.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-20-2019 at 08:09 AM..

Old 06-20-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I found your first question to be extremely ridiculous.

Do anybody need to spend days in uniform to know
Yes, you do need to have spent time in uniform to know reality. You're going on and on about something that happens every single day, in a world you have no firsthand knowledge.

I know a neurosurgeon. Doesn't equip me to speak about brain surgery.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Yes, you do need to have spent time in uniform to know reality. You're going on and on about something that happens every single day, in a world you have no firsthand knowledge.

which is why I've never said "everybody who lied will be arrested." I know people sometimes "lie" about certain things in order to get in, and they probably will never get caught, but this does not change the fact that

a Fraudulent enlistment can be a felony (It is a general statement, no more/less)

If anybody wanted to take a risk, go ahead.

It is the same argument as "NOT everybody choose to 'speed' will get a ticket, majority of the people who speed probably will NEVER get a ticket, but this doesn't mean speeding tickets don't exist. So people who drive need to decide THEMSELVES if they want to speed or not"

by the way, I did not want to go "on and on' I wrote a two sentences post and you threw a tantrum. ALL you have to do is go back and see how the "on and on" started.

Quote:

Depends on what information you want to give out,

If you are saying, "I know a neurosurgeon, so this much I do know, A scientific study can be interpreted to say anything you want it to say. As a scientist and a clinician, he has to read the data from other people's research himself and draw his own conclusion to inform his practice."

Then, you will be giving accurate information.

same goes

ANYBODY with common sense need to know a Fraudulent enlistment can be a felony, if the recruiter asked you to lie, then you need to figure out yourself if it is worth it to lie about that particular information. I would adopt a case-by-case approach.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-21-2019 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: Discuss the topic, not other posters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues