U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 05:40 PM

17,968 posts, read 10,881,091 times

Advertisements

Man it sure sounds intense, which it should be. Something like this would be beneficial as it tests real world applications. They are still fine tuning and evaluating things.

Many moons ago, when I was in the Navy, our PT test was something like the standard push ups, sit ups, and 1.5 mile run.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...ess-test-70961

Quote:
Soldiers will start with a strength deadlift, which they will have to complete three times, Frost said at a media roundtable. Then soldiers will throw a medicine ball as far as they can over their head.

Next, soldiers will have to do a set of pushups, during which they lift their hands off the ground after completing each pushup, he said.

The fourth event is a 250-meter “sprint/drag/carry,” in which soldiers must complete five tasks for 50 meters: sprint, drag a 90-pound sled backwards, run laterally, carry two 45-pound kettle bells, and sprint again, he said.

Then soldiers will hang perpendicular to a pullup bar and bring their knees or thighs up to their elbows, Frost said. The final event is the 2-mile run.

The test involves about 37 minutes of work and 13 minutes of rest, Frost said. Soldiers get a two-minute rest after the first five events and a five-minute break before the 2-mile run. The current physical fitness test gives soldiers about 20 minutes of rest for between 15 and 20 minutes of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 05:43 PM

4,978 posts, read 2,028,443 times
i would fail, but i would try until then.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:39 PM

16,685 posts, read 14,174,341 times
Well, I will go out on a limb and say; the minimum passing requirements will be absurdly easy, and easier for men than the current test, since both men and women have to meet the same passing standards now.

There is no way the Army is going to have a test that will increase the number of women failing.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:55 PM

25,952 posts, read 42,477,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Man it sure sounds intense, which it should be. Something like this would be beneficial as it tests real world applications. They are still fine tuning and evaluating things.

Many moons ago, when I was in the Navy, our PT test was something like the standard push ups, sit ups, and 1.5 mile run.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...ess-test-70961

Quote:
From the above article dated 2017:

No, The Army Isn't Making All Its Soldiers Take The New Combat Readiness Test — Yet
Adam Weinstein
October 25, 2017 at 01:43 PM

Community
Sgt. Bruna Galarza demonstrates the deadlift event during a pilot for the Army Combat Readiness Test, a six-event assessment designed to reduce injuries and replace the current Army Physical Fitness Test. About 120 Soldiers based at Fort Lee, Va., had the opportunity to take the test Sept. 13-14, 2017.
U.S. Army/Sean Kinnons

After Task & Purpose published a brief report Oct. 23 on the Army’s proposed PFT replacement, the six-event “Combat Readiness Test,” we heard from some soldiers who’d heard from some other soldiers that an Army-wide CRT was already a done deal. Their command leaders were already talking about how to prepare their troops for the strenuous test.

They shared with us an undated Army manual on the test, complete with scoring scales for each of the events, and some other tantalizing details.

Related: Soldiers Are Already Trying Out The Army’s Planned 6-Event PRT Replacement »
I'll wait till it is released... But I'm in my 70's, I'll see what my requirements will be....

Old 08-04-2019, 06:58 AM

15,298 posts, read 11,038,211 times
Quote:
The Army has not yet decided what the standards will be that soldiers have to meet on each of the test’s six events, or whether soldiers will take alternative tests if they fail any or all of the events, said Sergeant Major of the Army Daniel Dailey.
Oh, they’ll be coming up with alternative tests alright.

Quote:
All soldiers will begin training for the combat fitness test starting in October 2019, after which the Army secretary and chief of staff have up to a year to determine when it will replace the current physical fitness test, he said.
An out, I see. One that, when they look at female failure rates, they will take that option. I don’t know too many females who can pick up two 45 pound weights at once, let alone carry them for any real distance.

Quote:
Starting in October, 60 battalions across the Army will spend a year training for and taking the combat fitness test, providing data that will help the Army develop standards for each of the test based on a soldier’s unit and Military Occupational Specialty, he said.
This is way overdue and is an excellent idea. It makes far more practical sense for justification of different standards than basing it on gender. My husband used to get aggravated that they lost the opportunity to recruit or the ability to keep perfectly good JAG folks over PT standards designed to test infantrymen. Yes, the assumption now is everyone is an infantryman but there should be a crisis level bar that is lower than a sustained combat role bar. This is perhaps a way to control access to combat branches/roles for those incapable of doing the job.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:37 AM

6,848 posts, read 3,858,460 times
I imagine that if I was in the fighting-man shape that I was in, either active or my Guard time later it would be passable. 90 lbs I think is less than my local Sheriffs and Fire Departments initial application screening test were

Old 08-04-2019, 09:41 AM

983 posts, read 293,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Well, I will go out on a limb and say; the minimum passing requirements will be absurdly easy, and easier for men than the current test, since both men and women have to meet the same passing standards now.
There is no way the Army is going to have a test that will increase the number of women failing.
My money is on Boxus' reply. Sounds like they are shifting away from pure strength and toward cardio endurance, which is what they will need to do for a gender-neutral test. The problem with that is, when you need to carry a fellow soldier out of harm's way, or pack in or out a bunch of equipment (ammo is heavy by nature), you don't have the ability to make three trips with less weight per trip.

It will be interesting to see what the actual tests end up being, the article's title "You will fail" is a bit premature, you can make a test of "throwing a medicine ball in the air" as easy or as tough as you want, simply by changing the weight of the ball and how high it needs to be thrown. Like with everything, the Devil is in the Details.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:20 AM

594 posts, read 362,844 times
Aren't they (and haven't they for several years) been complaining that too many of America's young people are overweight and out of shape and cannot pass the physical to even enter the service? This new thing is going to have to be massaged downward.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:45 AM

983 posts, read 293,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
Aren't they (and haven't they for several years) been complaining that too many of America's young people are overweight and out of shape and cannot pass the physical to even enter the service? This new thing is going to have to be massaged downward.
LOL, I wonder if the barracks will have to be re-designed with Safe Spaces should any of the recruits get triggered by their DI? And who will take care of the Emotional Support Animals when they are out on a march? Will all of the latrines be gender neutral? Heaven forbid someone see that new female recruit with the big hands has an Outie when they have been representing as an Innie, it would mean counseling for everyone involved. Please Lord, don't let the Leftists who have ruined the college campuses do the same to our military.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:47 AM

33,755 posts, read 17,290,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Oh, they’ll be coming up with alternative tests alright.
No doubt about that.

Quote:
I don’t know too many females who can pick up two 45 pound weights at once, let alone carry them for any real distance.
I do, but I hang with tall ship sailors.

Quote:
My husband used to get aggravated that they lost the opportunity to recruit or the ability to keep perfectly good JAG folks over PT standards designed to test infantrymen. Yes, the assumption now is everyone is an infantryman but there should be a crisis level bar that is lower than a sustained combat role bar. This is perhaps a way to control access to combat branches/roles for those incapable of doing the job.
That may be too much like common sense for a proper military mind, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or