Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 04:37 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
What are you talking about? I never said Marines rescue the Army. I never said one is better, the other one is worse. I am not that kind of civilian.

This is what I said

At one point the Marines took primary control of Afghanistan while letting the Army focus on Iraq. In more than one instance in the history of the Iraq war the Army took control of an area like Haditha Dam from the Marines in a relative level of control. The Marines had to return to get the area back under control. An Nasaria was under Army control, when the 15th MEU was specifically requested to extend past their doctrinal distance from the ARG.

I have my very close friends who were with 1st Battalion, 5th Marine, 3rd Battalion, 11th Marines, Recons, and MARSOC, (There are more, I just can't remember all) these are all legendary war fighters.

I think maybe the bold = Marine recuses the army to you? well, that is not what I meant at all. That just means they BOTH do their jobs well. I even said "In more than one instance in the history of the Iraq war the Army took control of an area like Haditha Dam from the Marines in a relative level of control."
I'll post this and be done.

The 15th MEU specifically relieved the 2nd MEF in Nasiriyah . Another Marine unit. Not an Army unit. You said they had to return to get an area back under control. THIS IS NOT TRUE!!

You say again that the Marines gave over Haditha Dam to the Army, but the exact opposite happened in 2003.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but there are a lot of very good historical reviews of OIF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 04:38 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I'll post this and be done.

The 15th MEU specifically relieved the 2nd MEF in Nasiriyah . Another Marine unit. Not an Army unit. You said they had to return to get an area back under control. THIS IS NOT TRUE!!

You say again that the Marines gave over Haditha Dam to the Army, but the exact opposite happened in 2003.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but there are a lot of very good historical reviews of OIF.
well, the bottom line is that Marines do their job very well. That is the bottom line.

I am not interested in the "which military branch is better" topic, nothing good will come out of it. I know better.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
well, the bottom line is that Marines do their job very well. That is the bottom line.

I am not interested in the "which military branch is better" topic, nothing good will come out of it. I know better.
And there we agree. But I'm not the one that posted that the Army needed help from the Marines. You did.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
And there we agree. But I'm not the one that posted that the Army needed help from the Marines. You did.
I didn't. You THOUGHT I did. Not my fault.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I didn't. You THOUGHT I did. Not my fault.
Huh!? Seriously?

Quote:
In more than one instance in the history of the Iraq war the Army took control of an area like Haditha Dam from the Marines in a relative level of control. The Marines had to return to get the area back under control.

An Nasaria was under Army control, when the 15th MEU was specifically requested to extend past their doctrinal distance from the ARG.
Neither of the red bolded items are true.

They are pure fabrications.

They disparage the ability of the Army to maintain control of their assigned sectors and that the Marines had to come and "fix" things. Didn't happen.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Huh!? Seriously?

Neither of the red bolded items are true.

They are pure fabrications.

They disparage the ability of the Army to maintain control of their assigned sectors and that the Marines had to come and "fix" things. Didn't happen.

Again, I never meant "Marines have to come in and fix things" It is YOUR interpretation.

If it didn't happen, then i might have remembered it wrong. I have to check and confirm it myself. I will do the research myself.

Nothing changed the fact that I did not mean Marines rescued soldiers or other way around. Even if it did happen, I have to assume it is normal that military branches assist each other to accomplish something. I didn't mean to say, "Oh, lookie lookie, Army messed up and Marines have to come in and fix things." If I caused a misunderstanding, then I sincerely apologize. (but, this is NOT my intention)

That is my bottom line.

How about this? Just TRY not to assume the worst in somebody, life is easier this way. If there is misunderstanding, ask for clarification. You will see most of the times, it is just a misunderstanding. Most people don't mean anything bad.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 08-06-2019 at 05:29 PM..

Old 08-06-2019, 05:39 PM

I'll put you on ignore right after I finish this post.

There is no possible way that this can't be a dig. No way in the world.

The Marines had to return to get the area back under control.

Goodbye Lily.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:41 PM

well, it is not a dig no matter what you say. I think I know myself better than you know me.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:10 PM

1,069 posts, read 745,527 times
I'll even make this more confusing for the OP. The Marine Corps established the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center at Twenty-Nine Palms, California in 1952 while the nation was engaged in the Korean War. As the need for live-fire training grew along with the swelling ranks, it became obvious that more ranges were needed. The old Army base in the high desert of California met the Marine Corps needs perfectly.

I was stationed at Twenty Nine Palms from 1977-79. At that time there were about 5K active duty Marines and Sailors permanently assigned to the base. 3rd Tanks, 4/11 Artillery, 1/4 Infantry. and C&E Schools. There was a small Naval Hospital, Dental Clinic, and usual base infrastructure; chow halls, barracks, base... housing, MCEX, gym, etc. Marines and Army personnel deployed to 29 Palms from all over CONUS for CAX and other superb desert warfare training exercises. At that time Camp Wilson was a small tent city with an expeditionary airfield.

We continued to get plenty of amphibious training on the coast as well as in the jungles of Okinawa and the Philippines. The Marine Corps also rotates personnel through the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center in Bridgeport, California. The MCMWTC provides unit and individual training courses to prepare Marines and their Navy Corpsmen for operations in mountainous, high altitude, and cold weather environments.

When it became likely that the next major military gunfight would like be in the Mideast the military began looking at training for combat in the desert. Twenty Nine Palms was ideally suited for this because parts of the base are wide open and well suited for deploying tanks and self propelled artillery and other parts of the base are arid mountains that resemble the surface of Afghanistan(or Mars). The elevations at the base range from 1,800 to 4,500 feet. Given the wars that the U.S. has engaged in since 1990 the generals and military planners that decided to focus Marine Corps combat training on the desert were quite visionary. Today MCAGCC Twenty-Nine Palms is home to numerous Marine Corps combat units and over 12K Marines and Navy medical and chaplain personnel. in addition to the desert terrain for combat training there is "Combat Town," a 274-acre fabricated Middle Eastern village, complete with a mosque, native role-players, an IED alley, and other immersive touches to prepare military personnel for combat.

The Marine Corps mission continues to evolve and is prepared to respond to threats to our national security and U.S. interests worldwide.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:05 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Any evidence? Anything?

Because the truth is the Marines demanded a spot in the fight. And don't forget, when they got to Fallujah and Ramadi, they needed 1st Bde of the 1st ID.
Yea, me.

We went when the commandant was asked. I remember the briefing after the fact. That's why we had different tours than the Army, that was one of the conditions the Commandant set on our help.

And I was IN Faluja (how we spelled it when I was there and how I'll spell it till I die.) November 2004.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues