Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 11:14 AM

50,663 posts, read 36,368,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There are literally hundreds of Republicans in the House and Senate whom I hold in higher esteem than Cruz.

Many people I merely assume the least of, but Cruz constantly opens his mouth to prove how little he is worthy of his office.

As for 'woke' army recruiting ads. I find them cringeworthy to the extreme. But I don't automatically assume that our army is becoming "pansy" due to the mere presence of LGBT among the ranks. There are plenty of husky good ol' boys with lifted Rams and red caps who would quiver like babies if you put a rifle in their hands and I am pretty sure there are plenty of LGBTs who are brave and strong. Being a pansy is on the inside.

If someone has a committment to serving our country, and the (figurative) balls to do it, why not? Better a dude in drag who can take out the enemy with a wounded soldier and each shoulder than some keyboard warrior with a bumper sticker adorned Trump Parade float who sits around discussing who is a "real" American and who is not.
Even the other Republicans he serves with hate him. For years and years now I’ve heard he’s the most hated senator including his own party. I don’t think it is to do with policy as much as he’s just a jerk.

Old 05-23-2021, 11:35 AM

197 posts, read 124,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Russia has had women in combat roles since WWI. It’s us that’s late to the table in terms of women and military roles.
No, they have not.

The USSR widely utilized women in the military out of necessity during World War II, including deploying them in such roles as snipers and fighter pilots.

Interesting story:
Joseph Beyrle was a paratrooper with the 101st Airborne Division who dropped into Normandy on D-Day and was taken prisoner by the Germans thereafter. He escaped from a stalag in January 1945, but since it was located in eastern Germany he headed east toward the nearby Soviet lines. He soon located a Red Army tank battalion, and served in it for a month with such distinction that he was awarded the Order of the Red Banner. Eventually he was wounded and the repatriated. Anyway, the Soviet tank battalion with which he served was commanded by a woman.

Despite being a socially conservative society, one area in which the Soviets were somewhat progressive was opening up roles to women in traditionally male professions. However, that did not apply to the military, except when absolutely necessary. Most of the roles, including all combat positions, were no longer available to women after the end of the war. There are no female general officers in the Russian military, which is to say that no women hold a rank higher than the equivalent of colonel (O-6). In the United States military, far more than 100 women have earned at least one star (ie, the rank of 0-7 and above). In the Russian military, women are not permitted to serve in combat roles, are prohibited from serving on various types of ships, and cannot even be mechanics or sentries. Even beyond the military, there is an array of professions from which Russian women are prohibited from serving - examples include mining, construction, firefighting - on the grounds that in might hinder their ability to bear children.

There's your Russian progressivism regarding women.

Old 05-23-2021, 02:45 PM

50,663 posts, read 36,368,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Wolf View Post
No, they have not.

The USSR widely utilized women in the military out of necessity during World War II, including deploying them in such roles as snipers and fighter pilots.

Interesting story:
Joseph Beyrle was a paratrooper with the 101st Airborne Division who dropped into Normandy on D-Day and was taken prisoner by the Germans thereafter. He escaped from a stalag in January 1945, but since it was located in eastern Germany he headed east toward the nearby Soviet lines. He soon located a Red Army tank battalion, and served in it for a month with such distinction that he was awarded the Order of the Red Banner. Eventually he was wounded and the repatriated. Anyway, the Soviet tank battalion with which he served was commanded by a woman.

Despite being a socially conservative society, one area in which the Soviets were somewhat progressive was opening up roles to women in traditionally male professions. However, that did not apply to the military, except when absolutely necessary. Most of the roles, including all combat positions, were no longer available to women after the end of the war. There are no female general officers in the Russian military, which is to say that no women hold a rank higher than the equivalent of colonel (O-6). In the United States military, far more than 100 women have earned at least one star (ie, the rank of 0-7 and above). In the Russian military, women are not permitted to serve in combat roles, are prohibited from serving on various types of ships, and cannot even be mechanics or sentries. Even beyond the military, there is an array of professions from which Russian women are prohibited from serving - examples include mining, construction, firefighting - on the grounds that in might hinder their ability to bear children.

There's your Russian progressivism regarding women.
I guess I should have read farther! I am still for allowing women in combat roles though. Wars aren't fought close up anymore, a woman can fire a weapon as easily as a man. If they were fighting with bayonettes I would feel differently.

Old 05-23-2021, 03:18 PM

46,260 posts, read 27,061,543 times
Quote:
Russia has had women in combat roles since WWI. It’s us that’s late to the table in terms of women and military roles.
One thing I'll give to russia, "Lady Death."

Quote:
“Gentlemen, I am 25 years old and I have killed 309 fascist occupants by now. Don’t you think, gentlemen, that you have been hiding behind my back for too long?”
https://www.nationalww2museum.org/wa...la-pavlichenko

Old 05-23-2021, 04:17 PM

28,653 posts, read 18,748,400 times
Quote:
I guess I should have read farther! I am still for allowing women in combat roles though. Wars aren't fought close up anymore, a woman can fire a weapon as easily as a man. If they were fighting with bayonettes I would feel differently.
Men who have been walking patrol in Afghanistan and Iraq would disagree with you on that.

And they still have to carry around 90 pounds of gear on patrol all day in blistering weather...and then fight a man face-to-face.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:16 PM

1,299 posts, read 845,377 times
Quote:
You do realize that the average american woman is a lot stronger than most men in the third world [ better nutrition and excercise , no magic here ] I think women are PERFECTLY capable of hand to hand combat in todays world

Old 05-23-2021, 05:43 PM

24,071 posts, read 32,411,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So a coward, who never served any of the countries he lived in is calling our military a bunch of PANSIES.
He needs to be removed from office.
Agree.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:52 PM

24,071 posts, read 32,411,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Dudes like Cruz love Israel, yet Israel not on recruits transgender men and women, but pays for the surgery.

And what does Cruz think of General Washington's attitude towards gays? Several episodes at Valley Forge showed he preferred to look the other way. His Inspector General, von Steuben, was gay - to use a modern term. Von Steuben was even flamboyant - even for that era. Baron von Steuben: A Gay Warrior Who Taught Washington’s Army How to Fight – Revolutionary War Journal

But Cruz is not a conservative, he is a radical bent upon only his own career. Barry Goldwater was for my generation Mr. Conservative and he was all for gays serving:

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/s...goldwater.html

In short, like bigots before him, Cruz is pandering to ignorance and prejudice.
All excellent points. Especially about Israel and Barry Goldwater. Soldiers gender and sexuality is none of my business. Their bravery and desire to serve our country is admirable.

I don't consider Cruz to be a classical conservative either.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:27 PM

28,653 posts, read 18,748,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
You do realize that the average american woman is a lot stronger than most men in the third world [ better nutrition and excercise , no magic here ]
The average American woman compared to the average third world man? Oh, hell no.

Not even the average American man is stronger than the average third world man.

The average American gets a lot of calories, but lousy nutrition, and certainly less exercise.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:35 PM

12,931 posts, read 9,450,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
For the life of me I don’t see how attacking the military in this fashion is going to give him any political advantage. Has he lost his mind?
Could be, but he's right in this case. He's not attacking our military; he's attacking the crazy recruitment ads they're putting out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues