Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 05:18 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Obviously you haven't been around them much!
I'll put my NAVMC 118 (9) page against anyone on CD. Documented proof that I have been "around".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 05:21 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I'll put my NAVMC 118 (9) page against anyone on CD. Documented proof that I have been "around".
You seem to be quite jealous of the Marines...did they hurt your feelings at some point?

Old 09-21-2021, 05:41 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
There is absolutely no need for the Marine Corps.

Everything that is done by the Marine Corps can be done by the other branches.
The US Marines are more comparable to the idea of stormtroopers. When you need a small group of 10,000 guys to make a beach landing with 3 days notice, you call on the US Marines. The US Army can't do that.

The US Army can't do that. When you think of the Army, think of the caissons rolling along. Remember the Red Ball express? 10,000 truck drivers, supported by 5,000 barges, a vast network of warehouses and supply clerks, road and bridge builders, to keep the supply lines flowing to support 100,000 troops on battlefields. Heavy Artillery and tanks.

Old 09-21-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Nah, I'm not buying a military service that doesn't kill people and break things.
I don't think they are up for sale.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:48 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I don't think they are up for sale.
We're paying for them though....

And their fancy new uniforms. I kind of like the Battlestar Galactica blouses, but those trousers suck. These are prototypes, so I really hope they realize the trousers should be the same color as the blouse and drape more sleekly.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/y...s-have-landed/

Old 09-21-2021, 09:31 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
.........The US Marines is a waste of money. All could be taken up by Army, Navy, and Air Force.

Could it? How does it take one to work up for that kind of mission, putting that type of force ashore? Sure, the others could do it, eventually, but when would they be ready to be able to do whatever we call a Marine Assault Battalion (MAB) these days?

Old 09-21-2021, 10:05 PM

My primary issue with the Space Force is this.

We have a combat force that is screened and trained to live inside steel pipes for months at a time, operating high tech systems, without going crazy. We have a long tradition of training Commanding Officers who are selected to command without the benefit of other high-ranking officers to give them advice while on long arduous deployments.

So when the Pentagon was forming this new branch with the intention of some day manned vessels for long term space exploration they choose Air Force personnel to do this? Someone has seriously lost their minds in this process.

Take a random selection of Air Force personnel and seal them inside a steel pipe for the next 6 to 8 months, and you think their selection process, training and traditions will prepare them for this assignment?

I did it for 20 years, averaging 7 months a year living underwater. What qualifications do other services have for this kind of duty?

Even surface target sailors have email and telephones, they can step outside and see the sky, sun and moon on a daily basis. They are not sealed inside steel pipe.

When we do eventually get to the point of long term space vessels, we are going to need servicemembers who have been selected, trained, and experienced in exactly the conditions that have been present in the Silent Service for well over 100 years.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My primary issue with the Space Force is this.

We have a combat force that is screened and trained to live inside steel pipes for months at a time, operating high tech systems, without going crazy. We have a long tradition of training Commanding Officers who are selected to command without the benefit of other high-ranking officers to give them advice while on long arduous deployments.

So when the Pentagon was forming this new branch with the intention of some day manned vessels for long term space exploration they choose Air Force personnel to do this? Someone has seriously lost their minds in this process.

Take a random selection of Air Force personnel and seal them inside a steel pipe for the next 6 to 8 months, and you think their selection process, training and traditions will prepare them for this assignment?

I did it for 20 years, averaging 7 months a year living underwater. What qualifications do other services have for this kind of duty?

Even surface target sailors have email and telephones, they can step outside and see the sky, sun and moon on a daily basis. They are not sealed inside steel pipe.

When we do eventually get to the point of long term space vessels, we are going to need servicemembers who have been selected, trained, and experienced

in exactly the conditions that have been present in the Silent Service for well over 100 years.
Space Force is actually drawing members from all services. They're drawing anyone who has been working in the space operations agencies of all services.

They won't be in any military space ships for a long, long, long, time. Nobody currently in service will see the inside of a fighting space ship. Maybe nobody alive today will see the inside of a fighting space ship. By that time, the Space Force will have the same kind of accession and career progression unique to its combat environment as the other services.

But in that regard, that's my only complaint about the Space Force right now: It can't kill anyone or break anything, and nobody will propose a plan to do so because current international treaties prevent it. The US can't even put plans on paper or test any capabilities leading to such weapons because of the current treaties.

I don't see a reason for a separate military service that can't break things and kill people. Things that shoot take priority over things that don't: They will always be the sixth piglet of a five-teat sow until they can start budgeting for weapons systems.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:27 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Space Force is actually drawing members from all services. They're drawing anyone who has been working in the space operations agencies of all services.

They won't be in any military space ships for a long, long, long, time. Nobody currently in service will see the inside of a fighting space ship. Maybe nobody alive today will see the inside of a fighting space ship. By that time, the Space Force will have the same kind of accession and career progression unique to its combat environment as the other services.

But in that regard, that's my only complaint about the Space Force right now: It can't kill anyone or break anything, and nobody will propose a plan to do so because current international treaties prevent it. The US can't even put plans on paper or test any capabilities leading to such weapons because of the current treaties.

I don't see a reason for a separate military service that can't break things and kill people. Things that shoot take priority over things that don't: They will always be the sixth piglet of a five-teat sow until they can start budgeting for weapons systems.
My understanding is that they are accumulating all space based assets under one roof so there's one place to get info, because in the past, one services assets where in theater but not necessarily accessible to another service that may need it.

I don't think it's meant to be like infantry but in space.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
My understanding is that they are accumulating all space based assets under one roof so there's one place to get info, because in the past, one services assets where in theater but not necessarily accessible to another service that may need it.
That's a resolvable problem that could have been better solved by a joint command, like STRATCOM. A separate military branch does not solve that problem at all, any more than the Air Force solves the aviation requirements of the Navy and Marine corps.

A joint command with sailors and Marines assigned would provide better access to the Navy and Marine Corps than an entirely separate service. In fact, that separation is the reason for creating a separate service. That's the reason the Air Force was separated from the Army.

Quote:
I don't think it's meant to be like infantry but in space.
I don't think an entirely separate military service should exist that doesn't have warfighting as its primary business.

But...it's a done deal now, so time to let that go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues