Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 10:45 AM

6,095 posts, read 3,336,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
Not even close to semantics. Completely separate organizations and missions.

Edit: Instead of posting a link, I'll let you do some self learning. You seem to know some of the terms, so I hope you'll search and figure out where you're mistaken eventually. If not, oh well-carry on.
Of course I understand the difference. But you know that many people use the term SF interchangeably, and they use it when describing the whole command, not just the operators. So yes, I agree you are technically correct. But to say that any unit within SOCOM isn’t special forces, that’s just nitpicking and you know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 11:27 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,429,959 times
No, WK91, it is NOT "nitpicking." People who actually served with/around/in support of special operations units know very well the huge difference between special operations as a whole and Special Forces (Green Berets).

Anyone else who insists otherwise is dead wrong and will always be outed as dead wrong.

Old 10-06-2021, 11:52 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,057,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I spent a large portion of my career in special ops.

Judging from your other replies here, I'm getting the feeling you've been telling folks you're Special Forces.

I've rarely come across people who were so dead wrong, and then despite being contradicted with the truth, decides to double and then triple down on it. It's amusing, but I'm embarrassed for you and your friends.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:04 PM

6,095 posts, read 3,336,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
Judging from your other replies here, I'm getting the feeling you've been telling folks you're Special Forces.

I've rarely come across people who were so dead wrong, and then despite being contradicted with the truth, decides to double and then triple down on it. It's amusing, but I'm embarrassed for you and your friends.
I definitely do not have the capability to be an operator, I would never have even come close to making it through. Nor have I ever wrote that I was.

You seem like a miserable person, though. First off, you make a disparaging comment about the 160th, flippantly commenting that they aren’t “special forces”. Technically, you are right. But the 160th is under the SF umbrella. They are very capable in what they do.

But why did you feel the need to write that? It seems to me that you are someone who doesn’t have any respect for the men and women who work long hours to support the operators.

I’ve supported a lot of operators, and I’ve never had one of them tell me, “Well, you aren’t special forces.” No, they were very appreciative of what I did for them to make their job easier.

This will be my last post on this subject. You can get back to whatever it is you do.

Old 10-07-2021, 06:10 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 hour ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Pretty embarrassing to me.

They were support soldiers I think from the F Co., 2nd Battalion, 160th SOAR. I can't see a team of Special Forces soldiers hunkering inside an airport hangar and panicking wondering where the police were.

Special ops troops ‘hunkered down’ in California airport hangar after nighttime ninja attack

A man dressed up like a ninja reportedly attacked special operations soldiers training in California
Mentally ill man attacks unarmed air force personnel with a sword injuring a couple of personnel.

They radio though and wait for police. who deal with the man.

People in special forces units often have to put up with a lot in order not to give their position away, and in this case they did the right think and the mentally ill man was taken away - alive.

Hopefully those injured will make a quick recovery and return to duty.

Old 10-07-2021, 04:00 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,057,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
But the 160th is under the SF umbrella.

and for the fourth time in this thread, you continue to be wrong.

Not sure what your issue is other than a less than rudimentary knowledge of the units involved.

Nobody is disparaging the 160th.

Old 10-10-2021, 05:54 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
I'm about 3 miles from where this happened. I read about it days later, several accounts of it. The first account failed to mention the Ninja was apprehended.
Inyokern airport welcomes military ops. This whole secluded desert area is military, basically. China Lake isn't in the business of supporting visiting aircraft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues