Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 08:50 PM

300 posts, read 238,538 times

Advertisements

This is the second time that I have come across the same issue: Twice I have made Military friends on Facebook asking me for the same issue. The first one was stationed in Aleppo Syria, as a Doctor caring for the wounded. We developed a friendly relationship, and about two months into it, he asked me to do him a favor, which consisted of me receiving his money that he had made while working there, and keep it for him until he returned to the USA. I did not felt comfortable with that arrangement, because the information was scant, and because he appeared to be hiding something so, I told him that I could not help him, and ended the relationship. That made him very angry, and we no longer are friends.

Person #2: Sophisticate, charming, eloquent, classy, who stated that he was in a Military boat also in Aleppo, Syria, ready to return to the USA, and had some money that he had made and wanted to send it to me because "he thought I was loyal, charming, a woman he could trust and admired." Same pattern used as the one before. He wanted to mail to my address LOTS OF MONEY because he thought I was the only person he could trust to save it for him, again until he return to the USA. They never mentioned how they received the money, even though I asked them. It was disregarded.

Both of these men have high-ranking status in the Military. And I have stopped answering their correspondence. They are probably bogus, not the people they claim to be, and are scammers. Several questions come to my mind: They are not asking me for money, they are looking to send me money. Has this money been made illegally, through Isis or the Taliban, and by sending it to my address they by-pass USA Internal Revenue Service, and leave me holding the bag, after they recuperate it?

Both of them stated they were "Widowed and had no family to help them out." Your opinions are appreciated, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2021, 08:58 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,680 times
Judging by your history I'd suggest you get off the internet and throw your computer and all smart devices in the trash and all your problems will go away.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:25 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,409,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Judging by your history I'd suggest you get off the internet and throw your computer and all smart devices in the trash and all your problems will go away.
I second this suggestion.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:01 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
This is the second time that I have come across the same issue: Twice I have made Military friends on Facebook asking me for the same issue. The first one was stationed in Aleppo Syria, as a Doctor caring for the wounded. We developed a friendly relationship, and about two months into it, he asked me to do him a favor, which consisted of me receiving his money that he had made while working there, and keep it for him until he returned to the USA.
A US citizen with a US bank account whose paychecks are direct-deposited into his US bank, asked you what?

Quote:
... the information was scant, and because he appeared to be hiding something
I think so.

Quote:
... he was in a Military boat
His mailing address was a US ship? Then you should know what ship he was stationed on.

I was re-enlisting in 1993, when it first hit me. The military had changed the enlistment contracts so now the wording requires that all US servicemembers must maintain bank accounts in the US for our direct-deposit paychecks to flow into. We might be stationed in another country, but our pay always flows into a US bank or Credit Union. They stopped paying us in cash decades ago, like in the 1960s-ish.

Quote:
... Both of these men have high-ranking status in the Military.
I strongly doubt that.

Quote:
... Both of them stated they were "Widowed and had no family to help them out."
I can not imagine why being a widow would cause any US servicemember financial difficulty.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:10 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A US citizen with a US bank account whose paychecks are direct-deposited into his US bank, asked you what?

I think so.

His mailing address was a US ship? Then you should know what ship he was stationed on.

I was re-enlisting in 1993, when it first hit me. The military had changed the enlistment contracts so now the wording requires that all US servicemembers must maintain bank accounts in the US for our direct-deposit paychecks to flow into. We might be stationed in another country, but our pay always flows into a US bank or Credit Union. They stopped paying us in cash decades ago, like in the 1960s-ish.

I strongly doubt that.

I can not imagine why being a widow would cause any US servicemember financial difficulty.
Take a look at the OPs posting history...this and a myriad of other odd computer problems are recurring and seems quite frequently...don't waste your time, they don't listen or learn.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:55 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Not FB but when I am talking to someone on a meet up site, where they list they are in the area but then suddenly say "but I am overseas right now", I drop them like a lead potato!

I am tired of having my time wasted like that, whether by "the honest" or most likely the scammers.

In the philosophy of "Put up or Shut up", if they can't make the walk, don't bother with their talk.

Old 10-13-2021, 01:24 PM

554 posts, read 1,066,400 times
Common ploy for scammers. They "money" would have probably been in the form of a check; it's not likely they would send you a box full of cash, right? You would be instructed to deposit the check in your bank account, and then be instructed to send a certain amount elsewhere, either cash, wire transfer, or by buying gift cards. The check is fake, and once your bank determines that, then you are out the amount of money you sent elsewhere.

Old 10-13-2021, 01:35 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
Common ploy for scammers. They "money" would have probably been in the form of a check; it's not likely they would send you a box full of cash, right? You would be instructed to deposit the check in your bank account, and then be instructed to send a certain amount elsewhere, either cash, wire transfer, or by buying gift cards. The check is fake, and once your bank determines that, then you are out the amount of money you sent elsewhere.
There is something else as well though that is the more common ploy for the account holder is responsible for the money sent from their account, even if they wrote the amount believing the deposited check was real and it was that money they wrote THEIR check on.

The something else is that it could be a ploy in money laundering or trafficking in stolen goods. In that latter scenario, they send you things they want you to repackage and send elsewhere, paying you something for your trouble, giving you some believable reason to why they need you to do it.

A and B. A: If it is too good to be true, it probably is a lie. B: The most believable story is that one which tells you what you want to hear.

Old 10-13-2021, 03:34 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
US Servicemembers are paid a reasonable amount of money. They do not need your money in addition to their paychecks. As an enlisted man I was paid enough that I was able to buy an apartment complex at each duty station where I was located. If a servicemember is having financial difficulty, stay away from him. His career is about to end anyway, regardless of whether you offer to help him, or not. Just stay away from that mess.

US Servicemembers are fully capable of moving money from one country to another country.

Old 10-13-2021, 04:00 PM

300 posts, read 238,538 times
Default Submariner

Neither of these two gentlemen are USA born. One was born in Syria or India, and the second one was born and raised in Edington, England. But have lived in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues