Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 11:12 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Is it needed right now? Probably not. But in the future? Likely. So it makes sense to get started now.

Also, it’s not like they created the whole thing from scratch. They just carved out Space Command from the USAF and made it a separate service. They now have a seat at the JCS table, plus they will get separate funding and not as a part of the USAF.

But what it really does is give them the time to grow their branch correctly. It is slowly progressing along. I’m at a base that has some Space Force personnel, and it’s really not even all that remarkable.

They haven’t transitioned to the new ranks yet, so they look like regular airmen, except their name tapes are blue and it has US Space Force instead of US Air Force.

I think Trump made the right call on this. It wasn’t about needing it right now. It was about capabilities needed in the future.
The Space Force didn't evolve solely from the USAF. There was also the Naval Space Command and the former Naval Space Surveillance System (NAVSPASUR) radar "Fence" that tracked satellites and all space debris within a 15,000 NM radius. That radar array originally began operating in South Texas in 1960 and eventually grew to the "fence" that stretched across the southern United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 02:54 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Why do I think the Space Force is unnecessary?
I don’t have a clue, give us a hint why you feel that way. I could make a guess, but I won’t.

Old 01-29-2022, 02:17 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
I thought Space Force was just code for something else.

Old 01-29-2022, 03:00 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
It is not. It is actually the beginnings of a new group of soldiers.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:04 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,138,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Yep and it stands for, "more wasting of taxpayers money and government time".
Just saying

Old 01-30-2022, 09:04 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
The Space Force didn't evolve solely from the USAF. There was also the Naval Space Command and the former Naval Space Surveillance System (NAVSPASUR) radar "Fence" that tracked satellites and all space debris within a 15,000 NM radius. That radar array originally began operating in South Texas in 1960 and eventually grew to the "fence" that stretched across the southern United States.
I know, but the majority of it came from the USAF. Regardless of what service they came from, it’s a good idea for them to have their own thing.

Old 01-30-2022, 04:18 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,145 times
It seems most people think the space force is equivalent to an army fighting in space like Buck Roger's or something. Space force is basically a centralized place for all space based assets like satellites. Previously, each service had satellite assets and often overlapped or simply didn't share their information and resources with the other services. Space force consolidated their resources and is a single point of contact for use and information.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:23 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
It seems most people think the space force is equivalent to an army fighting in space like Buck Roger's or something. Space force is basically a centralized place for all space based assets like satellites. Previously, each service had satellite assets and often overlapped or simply didn't share their information and resources with the other services. Space force consolidated their resources and is a single point of contact for use and information.
Exactly.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:50 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
..and Space Force recruits attend Air Force Basic Training.

Old 03-17-2022, 02:26 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Didn't share their information with the other services? The Naval Space Command and later NNSOC provided complete backup to Cheyenne Mountain as far as satellite and other space object tracking. If Cheyenne Mountain was down then we handled all of the tracking and alerting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues