Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should registering for Selective Service be required of males AND females?
Yes, I stand for equal opportunity for all. 79 79.00%
No, we must protect the women folk 14 14.00%
I do not know, I have no opinion. 6 6.00%
Only transsexuals 2 2.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 04:22 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Interesting concept, but that's another facet of the "military-industrial complex" concept Eisenhower warned us about.

When Eisenhower was a young officer, the peacetime standing military was a sparce, lean military incapable of fighting a real war. He saw that concept change to a standing military capable of fighting two wars at once at the drop of a hat.
Trade offs here and there.

I use to grit my teeth at (but the end of life could be near now so I just sigh) to the war hawks in the populace who scream we ought to go into this country or that and stop that ethnic cleansing. They wanted it done but it would not be their kin carrying the load, spilling blood, perhaps dying.

Given what the politicians faced at home with the Vietnam War, I say it was a brilliant, farsighted move on their part to end the draft, hence removing the massive amount of objection they had seen.

Good for them but not necessarily for the people.....but, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

To answer the question so posed, yes, everybody.......but for a different reason than one posted in the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 04:31 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
One thing about the draft is that it keeps the population more aware to what wars the politicians want to do. Wars no longer become another person's fight, another's kin's blood being spilled, when the totally volunteer force is done away with.

So from that aspect, most certainly but funny, isn't it? To do it not for a fighting reason but to do it as a means to control the government.
In my thinking, this is the reason to include females in selective service.

Having a war on foreign soil somewhere does not threaten the life of American females, unless you are drafting females. If we make females subject to draft, that bring 50% of all voters into a position where it hits them personally.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:35 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In my thinking, this is the reason to include females in selective service.

Having a war on foreign soil somewhere does not threaten the life of American females, unless you are drafting females. If we make females subject to draft, that bring 50% of all voters into a position where it hits them personally.
Thing is, as I said before, the draft is primary for infantry, and only 10% of young American women would make it through infantry training.

For that matter, if anyone should actually ask the military their opinion of re-instating the draft, I think we'd find that the military isn't in favor of it either, considering how poor the quality is of American youth these days.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Thing is, as I said before, the draft is primary for infantry, and only 10% of young American women would make it through infantry training.

For that matter, if anyone should actually ask the military their opinion of re-instating the draft, I think we'd find that the military isn't in favor of it either, considering how poor the quality is of American youth these days.
Ask the military? US Servicemembers are a big group with a wide array of opinions.

I think that only around 15% of the US Army is actually infantry.

Old 02-27-2022, 05:13 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:

I guess we can fight the last war and draft folks to drive trucks down I.E.D. road and use the professionals to attempt the keep the road clear for the conscripts.

Old 02-27-2022, 05:45 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,234,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Equality, yes?

No. Equality makes a good talking point for politics, but it isn't practical in reality in many cases.

And one of those cases is expecting women to be equal to men in various situations arising on the battlefield.

I'm all for women being able to VOLUNTEER for whatever job they want that is open to them in the military.

I'm against a draft for everyone equally. NOBODY should be drafted. There's a reason why we went to an all volunteer force.

But in no case should women be expected to serve as cannon fodder when 95 percent of them do not have physical equality with men. Especially when females DON'T WANT to be combat soldiers. Let them serve voluntarily.

The best thing to do is ask why the draft needs to be reinstituted anyway. What's the motive - besides getting out of any binding contracts for voluntary service unto retirement. Draftees don't get any promises.

Old 02-27-2022, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Ask the military? US Servicemembers are a big group with a wide array of opinions.

I think that only around 15% of the US Army is actually infantry.
I'll bet the majority of infantry soldiers don't want their ranks filled with woman draftees.

Old 02-27-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I'll bet the majority of infantry soldiers don't want their ranks filled with woman draftees.
I have never been in the infantry. I have no idea how infantry think. I have no idea how infantry think of the idea of females serving alongside them.

But I would wager that if you asked an infantryman what he thinks of females in his unit his reply would be something like: "I am in full agreement with DOD policy, sir".

Old 02-27-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I have never been in the infantry. I have no idea how infantry think. I have no idea how infantry think of the idea of females serving alongside them.

But I would wager that if you asked an infantryman what he thinks of females in his unit his reply would be something like: "I am in full agreement with DOD policy, sir".
Well, I have been and am currently friends with active duty infantrymen, so I do know how they feel about it.

Old 02-27-2022, 08:12 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Since this country still has stall passage of the Equal Rights Amendment and thus our Constitution does not recognize women as equals, why should women's be compelled to be "equals" by the government for convenience? Pass the ERA and I say not only register for Selective Service but draft us As Equals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues