Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 05:58 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post
I had to learn it years ago but these days my comprehension of Morse code is a bit rusty.
...---... or is it ---...---
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 07:27 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
...---... or is it ---...---

S-O-S. What's you point?

Old 06-25-2022, 04:48 PM

863 posts, read 795,799 times
The criminal code 10 US 772 states the following.

“While portraying a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Space Force, an actor in a theatrical or motion-picture production may wear the uniform of that armed force if the portrayal does not tend to discredit that armed force.”

It's possible that they chose to not make it accurate so they don't come close to crossing that line, or, they could just be lazy?

It also leads me to believe that at some point before the code was amended, it was illegal.

Old 06-26-2022, 10:15 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
99.999% of the ticket-buying public does not know or care. It is not a documentary.
Well said. People want action and storyline.

Old 06-27-2022, 06:44 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
The criminal code 10 US 772 states the following.

“While portraying a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Space Force, an actor in a theatrical or motion-picture production may wear the uniform of that armed force if the portrayal does not tend to discredit that armed force.”

It's possible that they chose to not make it accurate so they don't come close to crossing that line, or, they could just be lazy?

It also leads me to believe that at some point before the code was amended, it was illegal.
Top Gun certainly does not discredit the Navy. Heck, the Navy heartily participating in making it.

But even active duty sailors screw up their ribbons sometimes.

Old 06-27-2022, 06:51 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
It would be so easy to do both, put out a propaganda film to entice young people to sign up, and get all the little details correct to appease the people who have already served.
Because checking and correcting such minor details really is not cheap. Do you really think they would halt production--at costs of thousands of dollars per minute--because some military nerd said, "Hey that guy's ribbons are wrong?"

Old 06-27-2022, 01:10 PM

737 posts, read 410,988 times
I am not surprised to hear that. We see all the time.

I used to work with a guy who consulted film directors on a couple of low-level military movies. The guy was nice, but frankly he was a bubbling idiot who acted tough. I guess having the gift of the gap is all that matters

My favorite military to civilian moment was when Joe Rogan asked a Navy Seal which movie best represented the Seals. He said "Navy Seals" from 1990. Joe believed him for a second, that was hilarious and priceless.

Old 06-30-2022, 01:06 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Just watched the new Top Gun movie, Freaking Awsome!!!!

Old 07-02-2022, 07:06 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Top Gun certainly does not discredit the Navy. Heck, the Navy heartily participating in making it.

But even active duty sailors screw up their ribbons sometimes.

That is so true.

I worked at China Lake when they filmed there. It's cool seeing familiar landscape. (Tom Cruise is a diva.)
It's fun picking out mistakes in movies. I can't believe that much money is spent and they don't really care about mistakes.
In the first Top Gun there were dogfight shots that showed a maintenance device installed on the ejection seat, only used when the seat is disarmed, unlocked and either pulled out or about to be pulled out.

Old 07-03-2022, 07:37 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
That is so true.

I worked at China Lake when they filmed there. It's cool seeing familiar landscape. (Tom Cruise is a diva.)
It's fun picking out mistakes in movies. I can't believe that much money is spent and they don't really care about mistakes.
In the first Top Gun there were dogfight shots that showed a maintenance device installed on the ejection seat, only used when the seat is disarmed, unlocked and either pulled out or about to be pulled out.
Maverick Spoiler alert

Spoiler
With no plane captain/crew chief to get the F-14 ready that is what happened
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues