Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 12:01 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

What would I have done? I would have refused to obey such orders or I would have incompetently obeyed such orders. If I was lucky, I would be relieved, dismissed from the service, and possibly kissing good bye 20 years of retirement.........but as said, I know it would be discovered had I obeyed such orders............and I have no wish to be a footnote about committing war crimes.
Or claimed incompetence...asked for official interrogation training and dragged my feet until we got it.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:40 PM

6,089 posts, read 3,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
"The Generals who have to take a knee to the politicians in power in order to keep their stars aren’t helping either, if we are honest with ourselves."

Disobedience to lawful civilian leadership is what's commonly known as treason. The military is subordinate to our elected officials, as is only fitting for a free country. Are you posting from Leavenworth?
Many claim General Milley subverted President Trump’s authority. But as long as it favors your ideology, it’s all ok, right?

Old 06-29-2022, 02:09 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Many claim General Milley subverted President Trump’s authority. But as long as it favors your ideology, it’s all ok, right?
Milley and the so-called secretary of defense Austin are both useless POS. We need a man like (Storm'n ) Norman Schwarzkopf back. A leader of men who took a knee for no political woke idiot.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:48 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Milley and the so-called secretary of defense Austin are both useless POS. We need a man like (Storm'n ) Norman Schwarzkopf back. A leader of men who took a knee for no political woke idiot.
And yet, he stopped and went home when the president told him to stop and go home.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:54 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And yet, he stopped and went home when the president told him to stop and go home.
It's always been that way for the military. The person in the Oval office is the Commander and Chief and has that power, same with thee Prime Ministers. That's what it's called a Chain of Command. Anyone who has ever served in the Armed Forces knows and understands it.

Old 06-29-2022, 03:25 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,580,488 times
As much as I hate to say it DC is the govt. and the military is funded by the govt.

I joined back in the late 80s when Madonna, MJ, rap and glam metal were popular.

Basic training fitness was a joke to me since I was already fit. Because it was the AF the standards were already less than the other 3 branches. I liked my drill sargeants. They ware funny, demanded perfection, shouted, and were in your face like Full Metal Jacket.

This was done so neither you, fellow airmen or joint ops weren't killed if you were deployed.
So, I can't believe they have lowered the fitness standards and the way some trainees are spoken to.

We are here to just do our job as a team. What religion or preference you do outside of work is your business.
It seems that young adults today like to be overly sensitive to their age group but say an expletive to older people and those that don't agree with them.

Old 07-02-2022, 04:58 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
Several factors, and the leadership in Washington has little to do with it.

Entry level job market pay, adjusted for inflation, is higher than it's ever been in my almost seven decades of remembrance.

The military lifestyle exceeds the level of pain, many of Gen Z are willing to endure.

The tightening of entrance standards, both physical and mental. The military is no longer the employer of last resort, and the anecdotal "The judge gave me a choice" recruit, no longer exist.

A contributing factor is the public school system, and the tendency to diagnose every troubled student with a military disqualifying mental disorder.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:01 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,875,465 times
I know what the military did in Vietnam when they couldn’t meet quotas they lowered standards dramatically. In the 60’s they inducted people who had previously failed their draft physicals and tests. You could be re drafted with an IQ as low as 71.

We had people in Marine boot camp who were functionally illiterate. We had people who were native Spanish speakers and went to class during training hours to brush up on English. Some people could not qualify on the rifle rang and were allowed to graduate.

All these people went into the infantry and were sent to Vietnam. They had the highest casualty rate of any group serving.

Old 07-03-2022, 06:40 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I know what the military did in Vietnam when they couldn’t meet quotas they lowered standards dramatically. In the 60’s they inducted people who had previously failed their draft physicals and tests. You could be re drafted with an IQ as low as 71.

We had people in Marine boot camp who were functionally illiterate. We had people who were native Spanish speakers and went to class during training hours to brush up on English. Some people could not qualify on the rifle rang and were allowed to graduate.

All these people went into the infantry and were sent to Vietnam. They had the highest casualty rate of any group serving.
I had a coworker who was in the military in the ‘00s, and apparently it was so hard to recruit people then that they had people with IQs as low as the 60s, which is indicative of either an intellectual disability or a severe learning disorder. Unfortunately it was nearly impossible to train that group of people on the tasks the military requires. I think currently it is more around 80, which is at least low average intelligence. That has certainly reduced the number of qualified applicants. I think only about 10% of the population has an IQ of 80 or below, but when you add in other diagnoses like ADHD, allergies, asthma, migraines, and obesity, it’s easy to see how so many people are disqualified.

Old 07-03-2022, 06:43 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,462,437 times
Sometimes I wonder in good times,how smart are our military guys?
I know one guy who can retire in his 30s,he has a choice of going to Westpoint to further his career or drop out and become a civilian.
He decides to return to be a civilian,the only job he can find is a warehouse security guard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues