Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2023, 12:04 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't know of anyone otherwise fit for active duty who takes two weeks to process alcohol.

But as I said, maybe they should test for it.
It depends what you mean by "process alcohol."

The ethanol in alcohol can be detected in a person’s urine within an hour of drinking, and it typically remains detectable for up to 12 hours after the alcohol is consumed. There are other test that can detect it for longer periods. When a person ingests greater amounts of alcohol than the liver can sufficiently process at one time, the alcohol will build up in the bloodstream. Just because a urine test detects the presence of alcohol doesn't mean the person is intoxicated.

Old 09-18-2023, 12:14 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
It depends what you mean by "process alcohol."

The ethanol in alcohol can be detected in a person’s urine within an hour of drinking, and it typically remains detectable for up to 12 hours after the alcohol is consumed. There are other test that can detect it for longer periods. When a person ingests greater amounts of alcohol than the liver can sufficiently process at one time, the alcohol will build up in the bloodstream. Just because a urine test detects the presence of alcohol doesn't mean the person is intoxicated.
The presence of THC in a person's bloodstream doesn't necessarily mean he's incapacitated.

You're quibbling a different point, and I think you know it.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:27 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Why go down this road? What’s the point here?

Justify this exception or waiver for some liberal reason to pretend that military standards are not based on necessity?

Clearly one poster thinks everyone should be accepted into the military which is akin to open borders on a larger scale.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:22 PM

634 posts, read 326,832 times
I don't have any issue with additional makeup testing for marijuana usage. People can be in the DEP for a long time so as long as they aren't actively high at MEPS, then it's whatever to me (eh, if they are in a state where it is legal, I guess. Shouldn't be running the risk of getting arrested in a non-legal state while in the DEP). Give them a test at a specific point however many weeks before they ship out, make it clear that if they fail a drug test at the time they leave then they'll not be able to, and then test them before they leave to make sure they are clean.

And then in a better timeline than the one we are currently in, they'd go through basic and tech school sober and then be able to resume using upon making it to their first duty station, depending on where it was located and what their AFSC was. But we aren't living in that timeline, so yeah: it should stop with enough time before leaving for BMT for it to be out of their system (excluding hair tests).

Old 09-19-2023, 08:54 AM

6,089 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Here is yet another reason why recruiting is lagging:

We in the military have been grilled repeatedly over the years about human trafficking and the dangers. If we see it, we are supposed to report it immediately.

So it stands to reason that the movie Sound of Freedom should be embraced by the military. But it isn’t. In fact, US SOUTHCOM pulled their screenings of the film. Why?

Because they said it was a potential copyright problem. Except that isn’t true, the producers of the movie wanted it screened by the military. So then, the military changed their reasoning and said it infringed on the separation of church and state.

What a bunch of garbage. Look, I haven’t seen the movie and probably won’t watch it, but I think we can all see that this was a political move by not allowing it to be screened.

So if you are a potential recruit, you have to wonder about the leadership yet again.

https://www.militarytimes.com/flashp...e-at-southcom/

Old 09-19-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

We in the military have been grilled repeatedly over the years about human trafficking and the dangers. If we see it, we are supposed to report it immediately.

So it stands to reason that the movie Sound of Freedom should be embraced by the military. But it isn’t. In fact, US SOUTHCOM pulled their screenings of the film. Why?

Because they said it was a potential copyright problem. Except that isn’t true, the producers of the movie wanted it screened by the military. So then, the military changed their reasoning and said it infringed on the separation of church and state.

What a bunch of garbage. Look, I haven’t seen the movie and probably won’t watch it, but I think we can all see that this was a political move by not allowing it to be screened.

So if you are a potential recruit, you have to wonder about the leadership yet again.

I doubt many 18-year-olds are even conscious of this controversy.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I doubt many 18-year-olds are even conscious of this controversy.
How are they not? It’s in their age range, they have a much greater chance of seeing the warnings and indicators than a bunch of old guys typing at home.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

What’s even more amazing is that she, the southcom commander just came from arnorth where they oversaw JTF-North mission along the border. Ignoring the political angles of the leadership is ignorance. There is no political angles in military leadership, must be a “conspiracy “. Hope Gen Richardson sleeps soundly at night.

She’s well known as a micromanager so she surely was aware of this decision.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
How are they not? It’s in their age range, they have a much greater chance of seeing the warnings and indicators than a bunch of old guys typing at home.
Highschool kids aren't tracking what's going on at SOCOM headquarters. They're not even tracking that movie.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Highschool kids aren't tracking what's going on at SOCOM headquarters. They're not even tracking that movie.
Southcom, not socom. The linked article above was about southcom, who’s aor is the source of a lot of human trafficking.

Kids are more likely to see indicators of human trafficking. Wasn’t implying they were aware the movie had political underpinnings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues