Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2023, 09:14 PM

10,309 posts, read 10,563,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Here is yet another reason why recruiting is lagging:

We in the military have been grilled repeatedly over the years about human trafficking and the dangers. If we see it, we are supposed to report it immediately.

So it stands to reason that the movie Sound of Freedom should be embraced by the military. But it isn’t. In fact, US SOUTHCOM pulled their screenings of the film. Why?

Because they said it was a potential copyright problem. Except that isn’t true, the producers of the movie wanted it screened by the military. So then, the military changed their reasoning and said it infringed on the separation of church and state.

What a bunch of garbage. Look, I haven’t seen the movie and probably won’t watch it, but I think we can all see that this was a political move by not allowing it to be screened.

So if you are a potential recruit, you have to wonder about the leadership yet again.

https://www.militarytimes.com/flashp...e-at-southcom/
So recruiting is lagging because the U.S. Southern Command canceled two showings of the Christian-faith-based movie “Sound of Freedom” at its headquarters this summer. That anyone would believe or think this is beyond belief. If I took a poll of high school seniors, over half could not explain what sex-trafficking is. One hundred percent would say they have never heard of the movie. And it would have no effect on any senior's decision about joining the military.

Old 09-19-2023, 09:16 PM

28,617 posts, read 18,647,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Southcom, not socom. The linked article above was about southcom, who’s aor is the source of a lot of human trafficking.
High school kids aren't tracking events to STRATCOM or CENTCOM, either. None of them.

Quote:
Kids are more likely to see indicators of human trafficking. Wasn’t implying they were aware the movie had political underpinnings.
The whole point to bringing SOCOM and the movie up in this thread was the implication that kids were aware of the politics surrounding the movie (which are not in the movie, btw) and that they were aware of the politics of its being cancelled at SOUTHCOM.

"They're not showing 'Sound of Freedom' at SOUTHCOM headquarters, and that's why I refuse to enlist!"

I'll take "Things That Never Happened" for $25, Alex.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 09-19-2023 at 09:49 PM..

Old 09-19-2023, 11:15 PM

632 posts, read 321,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
So recruiting is lagging because the U.S. Southern Command canceled two showings of the Christian-faith-based movie “Sound of Freedom” at its headquarters this summer. That anyone would believe or think this is beyond belief. If I took a poll of high school seniors, over half could not explain what sex-trafficking is. One hundred percent would say they have never heard of the movie. And it would have no effect on any senior's decision about joining the military.
And even then, the half that acted like they knew what human trafficking was would would likely describe the same fantasy "Hollywood-ified" depiction of it that is in this movie, based on the fears that have been expressed aloud by their helicopter parents of roving bands of trafficking gangs abducting young children to sell to eccentric billionaires or whatever.

Old 09-20-2023, 05:39 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,020,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
And even then, the half that acted like they knew what human trafficking was would would likely describe the same fantasy "Hollywood-ified" depiction of it that is in this movie, based on the fears that have been expressed aloud by their helicopter parents of roving bands of trafficking gangs abducting young children to sell to eccentric billionaires or whatever.
The ignorance on human trafficking is clear on this post. Misrepresenting and mockery. Even the belief it’s rare. Thank you.

Old 09-20-2023, 08:21 AM

5,980 posts, read 3,237,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
High school kids aren't tracking events to STRATCOM or CENTCOM, either. None of them.

The whole point to bringing SOCOM and the movie up in this thread was the implication that kids were aware of the politics surrounding the movie (which are not in the movie, btw) and that they were aware of the politics of its being cancelled at SOUTHCOM.

"They're not showing 'Sound of Freedom' at SOUTHCOM headquarters, and that's why I refuse to enlist!"

I'll take "Things That Never Happened" for $25, Alex.
Their veteran parents are tracking that movie and they are also tracking many other odd decisions being made by the current leadership.

So when the kid comes home and says he’s thinking about joining, the parents start to talk him out of it. Some kids will join regardless, but some will listen to their parents and choose a different track.

Once you’ve lost the veterans, and I think it’s fair to say that this administration has lost a lot of veterans, recruiting becomes infinitely much harder.

Old 09-20-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Their veteran parents are tracking that movie and they are also tracking many other odd decisions being made by the current leadership.

So when the kid comes home and says he’s thinking about joining, the parents start to talk him out of it. Some kids will join regardless, but some will listen to their parents and choose a different track.

Once you’ve lost the veterans, and I think it’s fair to say that this administration has lost a lot of veterans, recruiting becomes infinitely much harder.
I thought your original post was simply slamming DOD for massive training on Human trafficking but then being hypocritical by canceling a movie ON human trafficking.

Old 09-20-2023, 08:49 AM

12,318 posts, read 8,045,854 times
Political affiliation über alles is running deep in the minds of many

Old 09-20-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Political affiliation über alles is running deep in the minds of many
Let me back up and say (with the edit feature), welcome to the military forum.

Then my original post of…..how anyone could see anti-human trafficking as political is puzzling. If there was a topic that would see unity, this is it. Kinda like securing borders and homeland defense use to be a unifying principle.

Old 09-20-2023, 10:58 AM

37,313 posts, read 61,111,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
... how anyone could see anti-human trafficking as political is puzzling.
I have not seen this movie.

What I have seen are discussions on other forums, and the topic is strongly political.

The idea of securing our national borders is political.

The idea of controlling our taxes is political.

Our nation is deeply divided, and these are all political topics.

For each person who believes that human trafficking exists there seems to be an equal number of people who insist it is fantasy.

Old 09-20-2023, 12:40 PM

20,297 posts, read 14,520,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have not seen this movie.

What I have seen are discussions on other forums, and the topic is strongly political.

The idea of securing our national borders is political.

The idea of controlling our taxes is political.

Our nation is deeply divided, and these are all political topics.

For each person who believes that human trafficking exists there seems to be an equal number of people who insist it is fantasy.
I don't think that it's a fantasy, but I'm not interested in the film because I believe that the film is a fantasy. It's a male "righteous hero" fantasy. One guy against All The Bad Guys, doing a big rescue, trope. And of course he probably had to go rogue and defy his command to go on his virtuous mission, and blah blah blah.

THAT is the fantasy. None of you are going to do that. And frankly I believe (because I've seen it) that a lot of men get very deep into the rabbit hole of obsession about human sex trafficking, because of a desperate desire to be a hero in a world where just being a functional man living a decent life has become difficult and confusing. Guys who don't thrive in normal civilian realities, fantasizing about the world going to hell so they'll get a chance to be a hero and THEN we'll all see how valuable ya'll are! Or, rather, when you remember how you were treated badly by others and did not get your way with other people, they'll be sorry when you, potential hero, refuses to save them from the Bad Guys who are sure to show up at any moment.

Oh the power, to decide who you save and who you let to die...what a glorious fantasy that must be. So much more satisfying than whatever boring civilian job that a lot of men are either doing or getting constantly fired from.

Also, I'm pretty sure I heard that one of the creators of the film was charged with some kind of child sex crime or something. But I'm not really all that interested in anything to do with this movie, so I didn't pay much attention to all of that.

I don't normally post here, this is one of those instances where the thread showed up in a side bar, and don't worry, I've no intention of becoming a regular here. But I wanted to say, I have two sons who are 24 and 21. One of them is mentally ill to a point where he rightly should not be a candidate for recruitment (though he does sometimes think he wants to try to enlist...he was told he'd have to be off his meds for 6 months, and he's got a form of schizophrenia, so this is a very bad idea.)

The 24 year old though? Well, my sons watched their father get out of the military a broken man, physically, mentally and emotionally. When he returned from Iraq, he immediately became an everyday heavy drinking alcoholic. Like he was not drinking at all before he went, and when he came back he insisted I stop so he could buy a case of beer on the way home. And it all went downhill from there. His back is destroyed, he's in constant pain, and his family split up after he terrorized us with a loaded AK. Which he was also snuggling up to and sleeping with in bed at night.

After seeing all of that, my older son is absolutely not interested in having anything to do with the military, or his father for that matter. And I can't really blame him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues