Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-23-2023, 07:29 PM
 
Location: U.S.
9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Reputation: 5927

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
When has the military ever publicly whined about the dictates of the political leadership?

Except in the build-up to the Iraq invasion...some military leadership dragged their heels on that one, but it didn't help.
All the time. Here’s an article about senior generals complaining about slow promotions. Taking it public. Disgruntled.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...-on-promotions

 
Old 09-23-2023, 07:32 PM
 
28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Reputation: 30933
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
All the time. Here’s an article about senior generals complaining about slow promotions. Taking it public. Disgruntled.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...-on-promotions
Slow promotions is not a dictate of the political leadership...and you know what I mean.
 
Old 09-23-2023, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Reputation: 9331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Slow promotions is not a dictate of the political leadership...and you know what I mean.
It is when it is held up by a political genius. Thank you Tommy Tuberville.
 
Old 09-23-2023, 10:48 PM
 
565 posts, read 470,434 times
Reputation: 1332
Still a member of my state's State Defense Force. Many of you might be members of yours as well. What a blessing it would be to die waist deep in spent shell casings and surrounded by dead communists versus being found dead at the old folk's home with a full diaper. Lol!
 
Old 09-24-2023, 05:07 AM
 
Location: U.S.
9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Reputation: 5927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
When has the military ever publicly whined about the dictates of the political leadership?

Except in the build-up to the Iraq invasion...some military leadership dragged their heels on that one, but it didn't help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
It is when it is held up by a political genius. Thank you Tommy Tuberville.
Exactly my point. Agreeing with oldyankee but on the opposite spectrum. Public comments by generals, aimed at Tubberville, is political. But on “traditional decisions”, such as the Afghanistan surrender, no generals will publicly say anything, for now.

It’s only recently that generals have publicly opined on social issues and we’ve seen many examples. The Air Force general in Space Force said she selects leaders while looking at the assignments as it relates to lgbqt+$. This is a slam against republicans’ social issues (she uses the term “anti woman’s health laws”) because if all states were on the same platform as pro abortion, sex change for minors, then she wouldn’t “need to consider” the geography upon assignments.

https://youtu.be/iDzzLMukcUI?si=XJ_Loaps7M4OpVaG

Basically it is this: if a general makes a public comment that may be brought up in a congressional appearance, then that general has become political. This wasn’t the case 10 years, except for maybe McChrystal and Obama feud (and who knew McChrystal was in same political party?).

When the don’t ask, don’t tell, came out in the 1990’s (no pun intended), no general went on tv to complain about Clinton’s decision. When the U.S. helped Osama flee Sudan using a C130, no general made public their sediments. When the U.S. led coalition invaded Iraq, no general said there were no WMDs. Now even the Space Command HQ is political and GEN Dickinson is waist high in politics with his congressional testimony differing from his public interviews.


HOW does this affect recruiting (in this thread), who knows. Maybe a parent or uncle says to a teenager that now the military is woke, today is the time to enlist. Maybe not. It’s clear that generals bemoaning social decisions, by politicians, are signaling their personal preferences, and not virtue signaling to the youth. And in the future, we can expect all decisions to eventually be challenged publicly since DOD has begun accepting generals to become more political, starting with Milley.
 
Old 09-25-2023, 12:34 PM
 
6,089 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Reputation: 10930
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Exactly my point. Agreeing with oldyankee but on the opposite spectrum. Public comments by generals, aimed at Tubberville, is political. But on “traditional decisions”, such as the Afghanistan surrender, no generals will publicly say anything, for now.

It’s only recently that generals have publicly opined on social issues and we’ve seen many examples. The Air Force general in Space Force said she selects leaders while looking at the assignments as it relates to lgbqt+$. This is a slam against republicans’ social issues (she uses the term “anti woman’s health laws”) because if all states were on the same platform as pro abortion, sex change for minors, then she wouldn’t “need to consider” the geography upon assignments.

https://youtu.be/iDzzLMukcUI?si=XJ_Loaps7M4OpVaG

Basically it is this: if a general makes a public comment that may be brought up in a congressional appearance, then that general has become political. This wasn’t the case 10 years, except for maybe McChrystal and Obama feud (and who knew McChrystal was in same political party?).

When the don’t ask, don’t tell, came out in the 1990’s (no pun intended), no general went on tv to complain about Clinton’s decision. When the U.S. helped Osama flee Sudan using a C130, no general made public their sediments. When the U.S. led coalition invaded Iraq, no general said there were no WMDs. Now even the Space Command HQ is political and GEN Dickinson is waist high in politics with his congressional testimony differing from his public interviews.


HOW does this affect recruiting (in this thread), who knows. Maybe a parent or uncle says to a teenager that now the military is woke, today is the time to enlist. Maybe not. It’s clear that generals bemoaning social decisions, by politicians, are signaling their personal preferences, and not virtue signaling to the youth. And in the future, we can expect all decisions to eventually be challenged publicly since DOD has begun accepting generals to become more political, starting with Milley.
It’s funny how Milley was upset when he was used “politically” by Trump during the DC riots when the mob tried to burn down the church.

But then later, Milley is perfectly fine being used politically to promote reading woke literature.

I have a theory that if he didn’t help the administration in every way he could, they were gonna make him take the fall for the AFG debacle. I also have a theory that if Milley didn’t get publicly upset about Trump using him that way, he would’ve been replaced at the JCS as soon as Biden was sworn in.

Regardless if you believe that or not, here are the facts:

When you live in a country, split 50-50 politically, then you choose to become political for just one side, you lose 50% of the country.
 
Old 09-25-2023, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Reputation: 9331
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
It’s funny how Milley was upset when he was used “politically” by Trump during the DC riots when the mob tried to burn down the church.

But then later, Milley is perfectly fine being used politically to promote reading woke literature.

I have a theory that if he didn’t help the administration in every way he could, they were gonna make him take the fall for the AFG debacle. I also have a theory that if Milley didn’t get publicly upset about Trump using him that way, he would’ve been replaced at the JCS as soon as Biden was sworn in.

Regardless if you believe that or not, here are the facts:

When you live in a country, split 50-50 politically, then you choose to become political for just one side, you lose 50% of the country.
It isn't a 50/50 country. The country is more left than right. The Republicans have won exactly 1 presidential election with the popular vote since 1984. It has taken electoral college shennanigans to win.

As for General Milley he deserves a bit more respect than you seem to give. It used to be that people had respect for others.
 
Old 09-26-2023, 03:39 AM
 
6,089 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Reputation: 10930
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
It isn't a 50/50 country. The country is more left than right. The Republicans have won exactly 1 presidential election with the popular vote since 1984. It has taken electoral college shennanigans to win.

As for General Milley he deserves a bit more respect than you seem to give. It used to be that people had respect for others.
That’s your interpretation, not mine.

As far as Gen Milley deserving respect, that’s debatable. I think he chose his path with the idea that self preservation would override everything else. I also think he decided he would bow down to the liberals that run the Pentagon many years ago. Whether he truly holds that ideology, I’m not sure, but it’s irrelevant if he does or doesn’t.

I also wonder if General Brown really thinks a degenerate, drug addicted felon like George Floyd is actually a hero? Again, it’s irrelevant if he does or doesn’t. He’s already given his speech and paid his penance to Saint George.

But one thing is certain to me. You can’t become a GO in today’s political climate without at least pretending to hold liberal ideals.

How that all relates to recruiting? It’s a huge turnoff to half the country. Whether that is 50% of 330 million, or 49.3% of 330 million, doesn’t matter. That’s still a huge number of people saying no to military service.
 
Old 09-26-2023, 05:49 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Reputation: 9331
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
That’s your interpretation, not mine.

As far as Gen Milley deserving respect, that’s debatable. I think he chose his path with the idea that self preservation would override everything else. I also think he decided he would bow down to the liberals that run the Pentagon many years ago. Whether he truly holds that ideology, I’m not sure, but it’s irrelevant if he does or doesn’t.

I also wonder if General Brown really thinks a degenerate, drug addicted felon like George Floyd is actually a hero? Again, it’s irrelevant if he does or doesn’t. He’s already given his speech and paid his penance to Saint George.

But one thing is certain to me. You can’t become a GO in today’s political climate without at least pretending to hold liberal ideals.

How that all relates to recruiting? It’s a huge turnoff to half the country. Whether that is 50% of 330 million, or 49.3% of 330 million, doesn’t matter. That’s still a huge number of people saying no to military service.
Not my interpretation. Just hard cold facts. Only one republican since Ronald Reagan in 1984 have won the popular vote in presidential elections. The rest have all had to win via electoral college and lose the popular vote by millions.

You seem to want to discount his 6 years (2190 days) of combat tours. You want to pretend that everyone has a political agenda when they accomplish their jobs. You want to believe the twice impeached, 4 times indicted, found liable for sexual assault, and facing 91 federal charges in 4 completely separate districts. Indicted by 48 regular people across all of those states to face serious charges. Especially having nuclear secrets in his bathroom and waving war plans in front of people without a security clearance. If you had even one of those classified documents you and I would be in jail now waiting trial. Ask Airman Teixeira what he is up to now waiting trial in jail for doing just that.

You can do all of that because it is your right. It doesn't mean you are right nor does it mean you are smart. I consider your comments to be ignorant and beneath anyone that has actually served in the military. To want to follow Donald Trump who thinks we in uniform are all chumps and that any wounded among us should be locked away never to be seen from or heard from. So go ahead and follow that failed TV star.
 
Old 09-26-2023, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Reputation: 9331
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I tried to rep you again but the message said I "must spread some Reputation around before giving it to oldsoldier1976 again."
Thank you. I just honestly cannot understand with the cultish appeal DJT has. If he had to debate George W Bush, Donald Trump would have his lunch handed to him. Bush would laugh and say "people think I talk crazy, listen to that crazy talk about you (Trump) saying you beat me in the primaries in 2016 and Obama in the general election." I mention GWB is because he beat John Kerry in 2004 with 60% of the popular vote. It is also the last time I was registered as a republican.

For everyone's information I am not!! I repeat I am NOT! a democrat, nor a republican though I have been both. In my state I get to play and enjoy my vote. I am unenrolled. What that means is in primaries I can pick which ballot I pull. I can pull a democrat, republican or libertarian ballots. With that I get to make a choice that can affect the result of an election. I voted for DJT in 2016 but Joe Biden in 2020. My votes were taken for me and not for anyone else here.

So until the republican party stops following a disgraced candidate I will vote for the other team. They at least seem to be governing and not trying to burn down the house and crash the country for political and monitary gains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top