Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2023, 05:45 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
6,593 posts, read 7,084,533 times
Reputation: 9332

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Let’s just say that they decide not to prosecute to the fullest extent possible.

Does that send a message that any service member who is fed up and wants out of the military can just cross into North Korea without any consequences?

Because this likely won’t be the last time it happens.

The administration says that they made no concessions to North Korea, and I believe that statement. Allegedly, the North Koreans reached out to Sweden and let them know they wanted King ejected from the DPRK.

On a side note, I found this statement from the administration humorous: After “intense diplomacy”, he was released. But how intense can it be when the DPRK wanted him out of the country ASAP?

So even though we didn’t give any concessions, how many man hours were spent securing his release? He was also flown to Shenyang by the US defense attaché, then he was flown to Osan Air Base, then he was flown to Joint Base San Antonio (formerly known as 3 bases Lackland, Kelly, Brooks).

Thats a lot of money spent on this one kid.

If you don’t send a message, the next kid will be making a run for the border soon, and that will cost money too. Or even worse, what if the DPRK is fed up with incursions on their border and they shoot next time?
To answer your first question, no it will not. Once kids get a taste of being in the army (the equivolent of being in jail with a tad more freedom) a lot of them just say nope! Especially with the lack of compensation and days where Congress decides to shut down the government like what will happen tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2023, 07:36 AM
 
6,092 posts, read 3,332,788 times
Reputation: 10932
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
To answer your first question, no it will not. Once kids get a taste of being in the army (the equivolent of being in jail with a tad more freedom) a lot of them just say nope! Especially with the lack of compensation and days where Congress decides to shut down the government like what will happen tonight.
If either side really, truly cared about the troops, they would come to an agreement. But both sides are more interested in pork programs and winning political points than taking care of the troops.

But none of that applies to this issue. I think you need to send a message that it is not ok to cross the border of North Korea. The DMZ is not like walking across the open Southern border of the US. It could’ve caused an international crisis.

If they don’t send a message for this kind of behavior, then they need to take steps during the DMZ tours to stop it from happening. Maybe don’t let anyone line up outside on the steps? Or go into the divided building?

Just let them look through a window in a barricaded building and see the North Korean border and that’s it? Kind of ruins the tour, but at least they don’t risk this happening again when the next idiot decides to make a name for himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2023, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
6,593 posts, read 7,084,533 times
Reputation: 9332
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
If either side really, truly cared about the troops, they would come to an agreement. But both sides are more interested in pork programs and winning political points than taking care of the troops.

But none of that applies to this issue. I think you need to send a message that it is not ok to cross the border of North Korea. The DMZ is not like walking across the open Southern border of the US. It could’ve caused an international crisis.

If they don’t send a message for this kind of behavior, then they need to take steps during the DMZ tours to stop it from happening. Maybe don’t let anyone line up outside on the steps? Or go into the divided building?

Just let them look through a window in a barricaded building and see the North Korean border and that’s it? Kind of ruins the tour, but at least they don’t risk this happening again when the next idiot decides to make a name for himself.

find another souce of information you're stuck in an echo chamber with newsmax oann and faux news
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2023, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Midwest
9,401 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Reputation: 17878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Imagine being such a loser that even North Korea doesn't want you.
Yeah, this kid has some serious behavior issues probably going way back in school. But recruiting is in the tank thanks to Col Xoe Xiden, I guess you take what you can get.

You will see everything from seriously low-IQ losers to some pretty smart troops. Just like any other random group of people.

He's lucky the NoKo's didn't keep him. That s-hole is hardly a paradise, unless you're a masochist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2023, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
24,599 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Reputation: 22935
Update, he’s in jail pending a long list of chrges
Quote:
U.S. soldier who crossed into North Korea charged with desertion

The Army has charged the U.S. soldier who crossed into North Korea in July with desertion, among other alleged offenses, and placed him in pretrial confinement at Fort Bliss, Tex., according to new charging documents.

King, a 23-year-old cavalry scout, was charged Thursday with violating the U.S. military’s legal code governing desertion, assault, disobeying a superior officer, insubordinate conduct, making false statements and attempting to solicit sexual photographs of a minor. King’s brigade commander, Col. Kirby R. Dennis, signed the charge sheets obtained by The Washington Post.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...location=alert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2023, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Brackenwood
9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Reputation: 22123
Well, so much for the "no he won't" pile-on that happened here when I said he'd be court-martialed for desertion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2023, 02:20 AM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
24,599 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Reputation: 22935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Well, so much for the "no he won't" pile-on that happened here when I said he'd be court-martialed for desertion.
Yup. Its not exactly the “North Korean movie star and Japanese wife” some were claiming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2023, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Southeast
1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Reputation: 5276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Update, he’s in jail pending a long list of chrges

"attempting to solicit sexual photographs of a minor"

Did this happen in NK? I don't recall this being part of his original charges, but it's been awhile and I haven't reread the thread. If so, no wonder they booted him, he's lucky they didn't take care of his sentence themselves, and rightfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2023, 09:36 AM
 
Location: deafened by howls of 'racism!!!'
52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Reputation: 29284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Update, he’s in jail pending a long list of chrges

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...location=alert
this one says he was in possession of kiddie porn.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/nati...raphy/3347472/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2023, 03:47 AM
 
735 posts, read 406,849 times
Reputation: 1847
sorry Mom your son did not learn this sick behavior while on active duty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:15 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top