Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 03:30 PM

2,599 posts, read 3,112,430 times

Advertisements

Funeral director who buried my father in 1989 called the VA. They told him to have my mother come in there. I think they issued her a flag on the spot. I still have that flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2023, 04:16 PM

12,046 posts, read 10,174,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
When my father died, the funeral home did all the homework and they arranged for a gun salute at the site of his burial, where we set his ashes. They gave me the flag and the bullets. Maybe you could talk to them.
yep - same for my dad and my brother. They handled everything.

Old 10-18-2023, 09:05 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 10 days ago)

34,431 posts, read 16,517,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
I just sent off for a burial flag for my father. He served in WWII and was at Guadacanal, among other places.
How long do you think it will take--he died in 2021 but I am burying his ashes now, and it bothered me that he did not get a flag and a letter from the President because no one did anything about it.

He served in the Marines, and I found out later going through his papers he was in Naval Reserves--something I did not even know. He was quiet about his service.

I did find his letter from Truman, so it would be nice to have one from the current President.
Maybe off-topic but I read Flags of Our Fathers by James D. Bradley, Ron Powers. The book itself ia a gripping page turner. There is more to my emotions connected with its reading. I was going to write "immensely enjoyable" concerning the book, but there was way too much gore for that. And warning, it's not bedtime reading. However, aside from the battlefield scenes it is a book that needs to be read.

The protagonist, the author's father, John or "Jack" Bradley was one of six that were in the iconic picture of the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima. As it happens the flag raising was one of the few relatively mellow interludes at Iwo Jima. Thus Jack Bradley did not regard himself as a hero. Nor did all but one of the flag raisers.

The military aspect is important; if not for the soldiers who fought, died and faced indescribable brutality we might not be blessed with the freedoms we take too much for granted. Freedom isn't free. The next time anyone tells you that America is not a great country, though with blemishes, or you think that yourself, do yourself a favor; read this book or, as applicable, hand someone a copy.

The subtext of the book consists of the core American values it describes; the simple decency that helps make our nation great. After the war ended he avoided publicity, shunned the inevitable hero worship, and spent his time concentrating on running a business and raising a family based on integrity and kindness.

Back in what must have been late 2006 I took my stepfather of more than 30 years out to see the movie "Flags of Our Father." He had fought in WW II, in North Africa and I believe Europe. That was a major part in our almost lifelong bond. I believe, but am not certain, that I got the book from his shelf. I may have purchased it as a holiday or birthday gift. His life in many respects echoed that mantra of decency, integrity and kindness that I have cherished while he was alive and for the more than six years since his passing.

Back to the topic. I'd like to hear more about your story and your father's. I do not know if either my natural father (Korea 1952-3) or my stepfather got a flag.

Old 10-18-2023, 04:32 PM

889 posts, read 658,319 times
Thank you, Jbgusa. I will look for the book. I agree with what the author said about those who served shunning hero worship. My dad did not talk about service much, but he talk about the Marines, and always celebrated the Marine Corps birthday. He always defined the real heroes as people like his brother, who had died.

I have learned more about his service from reading his letters home, now that he has passed away.

Old 10-18-2023, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
Thank you, Jbgusa. I will look for the book. I agree with what the author said about those who served shunning hero worship. My dad did not talk about service much, but he talk about the Marines, and always celebrated the Marine Corps birthday. He always defined the real heroes as people like his brother, who had died.

I have learned more about his service from reading his letters home, now that he has passed away.
If you can't find it DM me; I might still have it.

Old 10-28-2023, 03:35 PM

8,377 posts, read 6,745,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Maybe off-topic but I read Flags of Our Fathers by James D. Bradley, Ron Powers. The book itself ia a gripping page turner. There is more to my emotions connected with its reading. I was going to write "immensely enjoyable" concerning the book, but there was way too much gore for that. And warning, it's not bedtime reading. However, aside from the battlefield scenes it is a book that needs to be read.

The protagonist, the author's father, John or "Jack" Bradley was one of six that were in the iconic picture of the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima. As it happens the flag raising was one of the few relatively mellow interludes at Iwo Jima. Thus Jack Bradley did not regard himself as a hero. Nor did all but one of the flag raisers.

The military aspect is important; if not for the soldiers who fought, died and faced indescribable brutality we might not be blessed with the freedoms we take too much for granted. Freedom isn't free. The next time anyone tells you that America is not a great country, though with blemishes, or you think that yourself, do yourself a favor; read this book or, as applicable, hand someone a copy.

The subtext of the book consists of the core American values it describes; the simple decency that helps make our nation great. After the war ended he avoided publicity, shunned the inevitable hero worship, and spent his time concentrating on running a business and raising a family based on integrity and kindness.

Back in what must have been late 2006 I took my stepfather of more than 30 years out to see the movie "Flags of Our Father." He had fought in WW II, in North Africa and I believe Europe. That was a major part in our almost lifelong bond. I believe, but am not certain, that I got the book from his shelf. I may have purchased it as a holiday or birthday gift. His life in many respects echoed that mantra of decency, integrity and kindness that I have cherished while he was alive and for the more than six years since his passing.

Back to the topic. I'd like to hear more about your story and your father's. I do not know if either my natural father (Korea 1952-3) or my stepfather got a flag.

Just to be clear John Bradley was not one of the flag raisers at the “iconic” flag raising at Iwo. He was at the first lesser known flag raising on Suribachi. Why he represented himself as being at the second more famous flag raising is unknown.

He went on a war bond tour in the US and presented himself as a member of the famous more widely known raising. Having said that Bradley was the recipient of the Navy Cross and the Purple Heart for his valor as a Navy medic giving aid to wounded Marines.

Old 10-29-2023, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Just to be clear John Bradley was not one of the flag raisers at the “iconic” flag raising at Iwo. He was at the first lesser known flag raising on Suribachi. Why he represented himself as being at the second more famous flag raising is unknown.

He went on a war bond tour in the US and presented himself as a member of the famous more widely known raising. Having said that Bradley was the recipient of the Navy Cross and the Purple Heart for his valor as a Navy medic giving aid to wounded Marines.
1) The book makes all those points clear; and
2) I carry the “flag” for John Bradley, or his father. I carry only devotion to my late and great stepfather (who was a mere participant, not a war hero), and for the people who were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues