Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 07:33 PM

6,528 posts, read 6,979,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
You misread your own posts. Anybody reading your two earlier posts would even conclude you were referring or replying about Afghanistan. Nobody said Iraq. Also when you mention “forever war”, everyone’s initial implication is Afghanistan first. We’ve been in Afghanistan earlier than Iraq 2.0 and were in LONGER than Iraq 2.0.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/03/10341...ve-just-shrunk

But don’t take offense. No games here. Regarding AFGHANISTAN, which countries had issues with the U.S. invasion in Afghanistan?

My comparison to Israel is the U.S. and AFGHANISTAN, since the U.S. went into Afghanistan as a result of “their” 9-11. Israel is getting read to invade the Gaza Strip, in response to “their 9-11”.
This is the parallel. I couldn’t be any clearer in my last 3 posts.

What’s not lost on confusion is the original question of which countries had an issues with the U.S. invading Afghanistan in late 2001? Realize it may sound like a broken record but reading comprehension is tough. Feels a bit like the history forum here.
If your question is which countries had issues with us going to Afghanistan, none that are worth mentioning. But you did misread my post. Nice try. Maybe you can try again with better facts. You read what you want to read. You have your prejudice and I am one of your targets.

Quote:
There was outrage when we went to the war I was sent off to. Iraq invasion gave us ISIS and another long lasting war. We went after people with rage and we set off other problems. So yeah we have had our issues. I just hope that our pal Israel will learn from our mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2023, 07:48 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,550,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
What are the tactics for urban warfare today? Using Gaza as an example, would the Israelis use artillery before entering an area? Then proceed with small units? Would there be an abundant use of Drones? How useful would tank/armour be? My war was mostly from the door of a helicopter over 50 years ago.
Anyone with any knowledge/theories?
Probably a bit similar to what US forces did in the final battle of Fallujah in Iraq. Lots of close quarters combat, and frequent use of snipers.
This is a short video about Operation Phantom Fury in Fallujah.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lyIFVk...eSBzaG9ydHM%3D

Old 10-25-2023, 11:48 AM

9,512 posts, read 8,972,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
Probably a bit similar to what US forces did in the final battle of Fallujah in Iraq. Lots of close quarters combat, and frequent use of snipers.
This is a short video about Operation Phantom Fury in Fallujah.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lyIFVk...eSBzaG9ydHM%3D
Nice reply but the OP isn’t interested in dialogue or discussion, just hand grenades and run, per his posts in P&OC forum. He’s not coming back to this thread.

Old 10-25-2023, 02:20 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,978,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Nice reply but the OP isn’t interested in dialogue or discussion, just hand grenades and run, per his posts in P&OC forum. He’s not coming back to this thread.
Where did I mention hand grenades and run. Have monitored this thread since I started it. Having been in combat I was curious about this type which I had not experienced. I don’t believe I deserved the insult.

Old 10-26-2023, 07:08 AM

26,882 posts, read 13,100,832 times
Quote:
Where did I mention hand grenades and run. Have monitored this thread since I started it. Having been in combat I was curious about this type which I had not experienced. I don’t believe I deserved the insult.

In terms of the British Army, a history and review of Urban Operations can be found in the link below -

Urban Operations - Volume 1 - British Army Review

In terms of FIBUA (fighting in built-up areas), there are facilities at Copehill Down on Salisbury as well as other facilities such as the Stanford Training Area.

Britain and France also work very closely together, and have a Combined Joint Expeditionary Force (CJEF), with British troops regularly training at the The Centre d’entrainement aux actions en zone urbaine (Urban Zone Combat Training Center) (CENZUB) in Sissonne north-eastern France. CENZUB being the largest urban warfare training area of its type in Europe.

The CJEF includes units from 16 Air Assault Brigade (British Army) and 11e Brigade Parachutiste (French Army) including 2e Régiment étranger de parachutistes of the French Foreign Legion.

I hope this is of some interest - all the best jeffdoorgunner -BNW.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-26-2023 at 07:36 AM..

Old 10-28-2023, 02:14 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,616,276 times
Quote:
What are the tactics for urban warfare today? Using Gaza as an example, would the Israelis use artillery before entering an area? Then proceed with small units? Would there be an abundant use of Drones? How useful would tank/armour be? My war was mostly from the door of a helicopter over 50 years ago.
Anyone with any knowledge/theories?
Actually, the "Tunnels of Cu Chi" in III Corps of what had been South Vietnam would roughly resemble the situation in Gaza which has a large plethora of underground tunnels. One of the tunnel soldiers from the Vietnam War spoke on Fox the other night for his thoughts on the war going underground. It would be horrifying. The released prisoners spoke of the immense size and complexity of the network. It would be very difficult to secure the area underground. I have no doubt Israel can do it with its massive advantage in sheer numbers, supplies, and military infrastructure. But it seems a lot casualties would be expected. In the aftermath, IDF veterans of that underground operation would likely suffer from extreme PTSD if they manage to survive.

Old 10-28-2023, 12:50 PM

8,378 posts, read 6,745,607 times
The tunnel system kind of reminds me in some respects like the WWII battle of Iwo Jima where the battle was fought on two dimensions. Japanese underground and the Marines above ground. The enemy was defeated but at a huge casualty count on our side.

Old 10-28-2023, 08:23 PM

9,512 posts, read 8,972,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Actually, the "Tunnels of Cu Chi" in III Corps of what had been South Vietnam would roughly resemble the situation in Gaza which has a large plethora of underground tunnels. One of the tunnel soldiers from the Vietnam War spoke on Fox the other night for his thoughts on the war going underground. It would be horrifying. The released prisoners spoke of the immense size and complexity of the network. It would be very difficult to secure the area underground. I have no doubt Israel can do it with its massive advantage in sheer numbers, supplies, and military infrastructure. But it seems a lot casualties would be expected. In the aftermath, IDF veterans of that underground operation would likely suffer from extreme PTSD if they manage to survive.
Tunnels are much different in the Middle East. Building tunnels in sand and rock is vastly different than dirt. Hiding today in a tunnel with the new ordnance and new fuzing systems would be kinda risky.

Old 10-30-2023, 10:54 AM

560 posts, read 205,746 times
The tunnels of Cu Chi (which I have seen first hand) were finally neutralized by simply bombing them with B52's. The heavy bombs caved them in.
I suspect IDF will go the same route, using todays improved bunker busters. Just cave them in. Hamas has located some tunnels under hospitals for the obvious "human shield" effect so those will making bombing those sections problematic for political reasons.

Egypt has plenty of experience with suppressing Hamas smuggling tunnels in Sinai. They flood them, either with sea water or raw sewage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues