Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 07:14 PM

9,512 posts, read 8,968,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I 100% agree that we should’ve weighed the dangers before the deployment. Absolutely there were some very capable adversaries and we shouldn’t have been so cavalier to just send people into harm’s way. Bottom line, Reagan should’ve listened to the CJCS and nobody should have been sent to Beirut.

But my problem with this whole thing is that we end up doing the same things over and over when things get hard. We never finish what we start anymore because it becomes too tough. They kill 300 and what do we do? Pack up and leave. We just did that in Afghanistan, too.

So the message we have sent around the world is that we have no resolve. Punch us in the mouth and we will pack up and go home. If that is our response to everything, we shouldn’t even send anyone outside the US in the first place.

“Osama bin Laden, the organizer behind the 9/11 attacks on New York and Washington, later declared that Reagan’s failure to respond to the Beirut bombing and other terrorist outbreaks convinced him that America was a weak nation that could be attacked with impunity.”

What I’m advocating is that we think long and hard about sending people into harm’s way. The default should be that we stay home. But if we do send a force, and 300 are blown up, we go after who did it and make them pay, and we make them pay hard. We don’t come back to the US and tell all those families that your loved one was blown up for nothing.

Reagan very seldom ever gets criticized over this incident. Most people in the US don’t even know about it, which is by design.

I’m not old enough to really remember the response to this incident. I was in middle school, and I’ll be honest, this incident didn’t even resonate with me until much later. I still find it outrageous we did nothing. Two days later, Reagan invades Grenada? Seriously? What did he do about Hezbollah? Not a damn thing.
Think President Reagan said his worst mistake was leaving Beirut. Clinton said his biggest was ignoring Rwanda genocide. Don’t remember the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 10:04 AM

14,300 posts, read 14,088,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Should have bombed Iran back to the Stone Age along with the areas terrorist organizations.
This thought has crossed my mind. Do you have any idea what such an action would do to world oil prices? I suspect gasoline would soon sell for $10 a gallon in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues