Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 06:14 AM

9,512 posts, read 8,972,758 times

Advertisements

Apparently just over half of the “last minute recruiters” showed up for training last week.

https://dailycaller.com/2023/11/07/a...-crisis-perks/

The Army is short on soldiers, 30,000 short. The draft FY24 NDAA has (will?) reduced the total Army by 32,000 soldiers, which will “help” the shortage but the problem exists. So recruiting standards are being lowered (along with recruit standards) so the balance is equally “lowered”.

The problem is the Army doesn’t know how to fix the recruting problems. If you google Army recruiting, now it’s a phrase “back to the future”. Basically going back to what the Army has done before and that is merge all recruiting efforts under one lucky 3 star general.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/recru...ngoing-crisis/

Part of the narrative is to “save money” by combining enlisted and officer recruitment. Good times ahead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 02:06 PM

12,046 posts, read 10,174,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
This is done in the Air Force, too. There are some jobs that mainly rely on voluntary appointments.

One example is when I was in aircraft maintenance. They were having trouble getting people to want to be Tech School instructors in my career field. Nobody volunteered. So they pulled everyone’s records, found out who had 4 year degrees, and they non volunteered a good friend of mine. Luckily for me, I wasn’t finished with my degree yet, so I wasn’t chosen. He was very happy working on the flightline, very happy being at the base we were stationed at. He was also married to a woman he met in the local area.

The needs of the Air Force come first. He had to immediately go to instructor school, then move across country to Sheppard Air Force Base, teach lesson plans all day instead of work on planes. His wife had to leave all of her family and friends behind.

He did his 4 year controlled tour as an instructor, then went back to flightline maintenance at a new base.

So while I feel for these soldiers who will have their lives turned upside down, the needs of the Army come first. Everybody should know this. Your life can change in a moment’s notice.

I remember getting called a week before Thanksgiving, told that I was deploying immediately for 6 months. No notice. I’ve had PCS orders cancelled and changed to a new base. I’ve PCS’d to a base to start work, and then transferred to a different unit doing a completely different job than what I had volunteered to do.
yep - I had basically three days to pack my bags and get ready to go to Kuwait - Air Force. Landed there on Christmas Eve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues