Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 06:15 PM

9,512 posts, read 8,972,758 times

Advertisements

The Army was late to publish or send orders to soldiers who were being selected to become recruiters, many involuntarily, which obviously has downstream effects. How does this happen on such a wide scale?

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...uiting-orders/

Apparently the Army needed recruiters so the Army sent out orders on short notice to get new NCOs into the pipeline, with short to no notice. Nice way to treat soldiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2023, 07:29 PM

8,852 posts, read 5,317,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The Army was late to publish or send orders to soldiers who were being selected to become recruiters, many involuntarily, which obviously has downstream effects. How does this happen on such a wide scale?

Apparently the Army needed recruiters so the Army sent out orders on short notice to get new NCOs into the pipeline, with short to no notice. Nice way to treat soldiers.
I saw this last week. I wonder if that is all to this story. From what I have heard about recruiting problems, I am not certain sending out more recruiters will solve the problem.

Old 11-06-2023, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I saw this last week. I wonder if that is all to this story. From what I have heard about recruiting problems, I am not certain sending out more recruiters will solve the problem.
Certainly not sending disgruntled recruiters that were snagged off assignments in dynamic units.

Old 11-06-2023, 08:03 PM

9,203 posts, read 10,970,609 times
The Army does a lot of half-witted things. This is one. If I were one of those NCOs snapped up for a duty I never wanted, I doubt I'd make a great recruiter. As long as they buy into and force DIE etc there will be retention and recruiting problems. A real head-scratcher.

Old 11-07-2023, 09:17 AM

12,277 posts, read 7,981,692 times
The General's last resort throw more bodies at a problem and hope for the best.

I guess the Gulf War when the basic and one station unit training support brigades from Ft Knox and Ft Moore were sent instead of the combat division's actual round out National Guard brigades was a similar last minute change of plans

Old 11-07-2023, 08:51 PM

362 posts, read 344,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I guess the Gulf War when the basic and one station unit training support brigades from Ft Knox and Ft Moore were sent instead of the combat division's actual round out National Guard brigades was a similar last minute change of plans

that was an interesting development. I imagine some Guard and Army leaders were embarassed. I heard the armor units were eventually given additional training periods.

https://www.gao.gov/assets/nsiad-95-91.pdf

Last edited by flashlight; 11-07-2023 at 08:59 PM..

Old 11-07-2023, 11:58 PM

5,895 posts, read 3,163,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post

This is done in the Air Force, too. There are some jobs that mainly rely on voluntary appointments.

One example is when I was in aircraft maintenance. They were having trouble getting people to want to be Tech School instructors in my career field. Nobody volunteered. So they pulled everyone’s records, found out who had 4 year degrees, and they non volunteered a good friend of mine. Luckily for me, I wasn’t finished with my degree yet, so I wasn’t chosen. He was very happy working on the flightline, very happy being at the base we were stationed at. He was also married to a woman he met in the local area.

The needs of the Air Force come first. He had to immediately go to instructor school, then move across country to Sheppard Air Force Base, teach lesson plans all day instead of work on planes. His wife had to leave all of her family and friends behind.

He did his 4 year controlled tour as an instructor, then went back to flightline maintenance at a new base.

So while I feel for these soldiers who will have their lives turned upside down, the needs of the Army come first. Everybody should know this. Your life can change in a moment’s notice.

I remember getting called a week before Thanksgiving, told that I was deploying immediately for 6 months. No notice. I’ve had PCS orders cancelled and changed to a new base. I’ve PCS’d to a base to start work, and then transferred to a different unit doing a completely different job than what I had volunteered to do.

Old 11-08-2023, 08:24 AM

6,771 posts, read 11,399,414 times
From the great WW2 movie “Battleground”: “I need three volunteers. You, you and you.”

Old 11-08-2023, 12:54 PM

5,679 posts, read 4,582,930 times
Being voluntold in the Army is nothing new. Short notice assignments as well. Nothing to see here, move along.

Old 11-09-2023, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Being voluntold in the Army is nothing new. Short notice assignments as well. Nothing to see here, move along.
Right. Then why the need to issue a formal apology?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues