Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 01:57 PM

19,475 posts, read 9,015,875 times

Advertisements

I haven't read any posts, so this has probably been said, but there is a BIG difference between fighting for one's country (or fighting to protect one's country) and fighting for someone else's country.

I think any thinking person would think twice before signing up for the military today unless they didn't know what else to do with their lives and want to acquire some job skills and future benefits (such as a VA loan to buy a house with no down payment or financial help with college). However, for myself, such things were not worth risking my life for a cause I didn't believe in, although i would consider something like the National Guard or the Coast Guard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2023, 10:13 AM

26,916 posts, read 13,130,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I was stationed at the American Embassy in Singapore during part of the Vietnam War. The Brits had a jungle warfare school in Kota Bahru Malaysia nearby that some US forces attended. They would come through the embassy and check in with the military attaches office before training started.

Someone mentioned US forces doing R&R in then British Hong Kong. We had the same set up in Singapore. We leased four existing hotels for guys on leave, 3 for enlisted and one for officers. And the Brits let US forces use their recreational facilities.

Things could get somewhat out of hand at times. You would have US Navy ships from the 7th Fleet off Vietnam coming in for shore leave, our troops from Vietnam, Brit Army, Navy and Air Force people. All mingling together. Too much Tiger beer and some wild bar room fights. And the beautiful Singapore women.

Although it was long before my time, I have read that a lot of US Service personnel enjoyed a welcome rest in Hong Kong by invitation of Britain, whilst the British intelligence base on Hong Kong was used to provide the US with intelligence.

It sounds like you had a good time in Singapore and Hong Kong, and I am sure many US personnel have some fond memories, as well as the obvious more tragic memories of the time.

Old 11-29-2023, 11:59 AM

302 posts, read 228,279 times
Meh.

When the first draftees showed up in 1941 there was the lamenting the horrible physical shape they were in, concerns about their effectiveness in combat, untested officer corps, poorly funded/equipped units, etc.

That generation certainly stepped up.

For every confused 20 year old on TikTok there are peers who enlist everyday and do the job everyday.

I have serious issues with "kids these days" but fortunately there are always people who would step up.

Old 11-29-2023, 08:51 PM

565 posts, read 459,894 times
katharsis, please be aware that the National Guard can be federalized and sent to Shirtholestan or anywhere else. There was a Supreme Court case in the 80's over Reagan sending NG troops to El Salvador. The SCOTUS ruled for the Executive, supporting federalization. Bush II sent many NG Soldiers to Iraq. My oldest grandson has to register for selective service next year. That's the closest he'll ever come to military service.

Old 11-30-2023, 05:38 AM

6,554 posts, read 6,999,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
katharsis, please be aware that the National Guard can be federalized and sent to Shirtholestan or anywhere else. There was a Supreme Court case in the 80's over Reagan sending NG troops to El Salvador. The SCOTUS ruled for the Executive, supporting federalization. Bush II sent many NG Soldiers to Iraq. My oldest grandson has to register for selective service next year. That's the closest he'll ever come to military service.
Thank you for the post. Yes NG soldiers are used very often in our country's conflict. I spent 8 years on active duty and another 29 years in the national guard. You characterize correctly the federalization of the reserve units.

On the bold part, this saddens me. I would like to see our military attract good people. We do not have enough coming to serve anymore. The one saving grace is with our training and equipment we can do it with fewer soldiers.

Thanks for the post.

Old 11-30-2023, 09:07 AM

9,512 posts, read 8,984,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
Most people also know Clinton and Obama sent NG soldiers on deployments.

Old 11-30-2023, 09:09 AM

9,512 posts, read 8,984,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Thank you for the post. Yes NG soldiers are used very often in our country's conflict. I spent 8 years on active duty and another 29 years in the national guard. You characterize correctly the federalization of the reserve units.

On the bold part, this saddens me. I would like to see our military attract good people. We do not have enough coming to serve anymore. The one saving grace is with our training and equipment we can do it with fewer soldiers.

Thanks for the post.

Regarding your concerns, the Army will need less volunteers to source a reduced Army. Over 20,000 less in FY24.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...tting-smaller/

Recruiting goals get easier when less are needed. Further negating the likelihood for a draft too.
Do more with less is a common phrase.

Old 11-30-2023, 04:32 PM

26,916 posts, read 13,130,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Report: Americans don't want to fight for their country anymore

https://www.newsweek.com/american-mi...apathy-1842449

I'm not really surprised. You can't really convince anyone to serve, they either want to or not. Everyone perceives the military as "Full Metal Jacket" or "Saving Private Ryan" so it's no wonder most Americans would prefer to avoid that.
I am sure most Americans have no problem when it comes to fighting for their own country, the problem is when they are sent by politicians to fight and even die, for someone else's country.

Old 11-30-2023, 11:54 PM

565 posts, read 459,894 times
Maybe the US government could offer couples a financial incentive to have an extra kid for the purpose of being sacrificed in Vietraqistan or some other quagmire critical to our nation's survival?

Old 12-04-2023, 10:21 PM

32,772 posts, read 36,000,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am sure most Americans have no problem when it comes to fighting for their own country, the problem is when they are sent by politicians to fight and even die, for someone else's country.
My Special Forces husband had nightmares for a while after defending the Haiti, Dominican Republic border after a natural disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues