Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2023, 04:36 PM

46,174 posts, read 26,834,074 times

Advertisements

Little surprised at the lack talk about this here.

Why?

Many people now have the ability to be covered by the VA.

Quote:
The PACT Act adds to the list of health conditions that we assume (or “presume”) are caused by exposure to these substances. This law helps us provide generations of Veterans—and their survivors—with the care and benefits they’ve earned and deserve.
https://www.va.gov/resources/the-pac...r-va-benefits/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 07:45 PM

6,330 posts, read 7,673,059 times
Going through the process now. With all the applications due to the PACT Act, decisions are 4-6 months out. It's a lengthy process. Just had an audiology exam yesterday.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-16-2023, 08:48 PM

13,052 posts, read 20,708,179 times
It's been discussed and with the VA's daily blast about this when it was approved, by now most who are eligible have either signed up or just decided to blow it off. Since it's retro to the date of application, this was not something to wait on. I know some who were waiting until they could gather all their documentation and medical reports. But since it's taking months, apply first - gather afterward, there is plenty of time to get the documentation before they even send the first of several dozen "we're working on it" letters.

Old 11-17-2023, 08:05 AM

5,895 posts, read 3,163,779 times
I signed up and was accepted. But I already have Tricare that I pay for each month. So I really don’t know which way to go, plus the fact that I’m in excellent health and haven’t had the need to see a doctor outside of preventative medicine and my company’s yearly physical, that they fund and pay for outside those channels.

So since I have no idea what I’m doing, I’ve just been keeping my Tricare plan to go along with the VA.

Old 11-17-2023, 08:37 AM

12,046 posts, read 10,174,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I signed up and was accepted. But I already have Tricare that I pay for each month. So I really don’t know which way to go, plus the fact that I’m in excellent health and haven’t had the need to see a doctor outside of preventative medicine and my company’s yearly physical, that they fund and pay for outside those channels.

So since I have no idea what I’m doing, I’ve just been keeping my Tricare plan to go along with the VA.
yes keep your TriCare. I can use the VA, but having a local doctor close by is more convenient.

Old 11-18-2023, 06:57 AM

6,528 posts, read 6,979,689 times
Quote:

I agree with Clemencia53 on this. Keep your VA but like you I use TCFL (Tricare Fo Life). which at age 65 becomes free with your enrollment in Medicare. No co-pays for visits and your meds are 12 bucks for 90 day supply.

My wish though is that eventually Congress will finally stop making people that have a 40% VA disability rating from paying for their disability out of their retirement checks. It is what they call concurrent pay but it allows anyone with a 50% VA disability rating or more to not have to pay it. I haven't any real hope of it while Republicans are in charge of the House of Representatives. All of those guys voted against the PACT Act untill people screamed loud enough.

Old 11-18-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
It's been discussed and with the VA's daily blast about this when it was approved, by now most who are eligible have either signed up or just decided to blow it off. Since it's retro to the date of application, this was not something to wait on. I know some who were waiting until they could gather all their documentation and medical reports. But since it's taking months, apply first - gather afterward, there is plenty of time to get the documentation before they even send the first of several dozen "we're working on it" letters.
It's called Intent to File, once you do this, you have 1 year to gather all your paperwork to submit. I have done that and getting all my paperwork together. I have several issues with muscle problem, battling to not get skin cancer with my dermatologist (Photo Dynamic Therapy) and many other things that fall within the Pact Act issues.

But I do believe you are right, most just blew it off, but I don't think it's about now, some is, it's about later when you become older and you start having issues. Even if you get zero% rating, your're still rated.

Old 11-18-2023, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Yes, keep both, I have 3, BCBS, Tri-care Prime, and the VA. I use my local Dr. for basic stuff. My company also has tele-doc , which I can use for basic stuff also that does not require a Dr. visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues