Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2023, 03:54 PM
 
14,300 posts, read 14,091,541 times
Reputation: 45416

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
They didn't disobey orders.

They elected to not take the vaccine, as was their right, and they were shown the door.

Disobeying orders is a punishable offense under a court martial. This was not disobeying orders.
There was a mandate that the troops take the vaccine. The mandate was lifted in January 2023.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2023, 09:25 PM
 
Location: NJ
23,787 posts, read 33,229,160 times
Reputation: 30580
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
It will be interesting to see how many service members return but many were “going to retire” anyways and either can’t come back or do not want to due to a completed career. It seems the ones who received the letters were not career service members but that is unknown.

A popular Coast Guard rescue swimmer is one of those filing a lawsuit for not having any hearings or appeals process before being discharged. It’s unclear if he received “the letter” to come back.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...in-lost-wages/


I'm not surprised that the military is crying now that they lost so many people. I bet if someone found the mandatory COVID vaccine thread some of us knew this would happen. It's similar to hospitals firing tons of nurses and staff that refused. They needed to prove some kind of point, so they made examples out of the people let go. I wonder how many will actually go back.

I have a friend who's son was refusing. I think he ended up getting medically discharged. I have to text my friend to see what ended up happening to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2023, 05:45 AM
 
Location: U.S.
9,512 posts, read 8,970,582 times
Reputation: 5927
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
There was a mandate that the troops take the vaccine. The mandate was lifted in January 2023.
When the covid vaccine mandate existed in DOD, the reasoning was “…unvaccinated soldiers “present risk to the force and jeopardize readiness.””

What changed? Why are unvaccinated soldiers or former unvaccinated all of the sudden no longer a “present risk to the force?” Are unvaccinated sailors also no longer a “risk to the force?” Airmen?

The problem for DOD is their message flipped quickly and the perception that senior DOD leadership make decisions without all the facts. DOD immediately suspended Smallpox vaccines during Covid vaccine rollout and that seems to be based on research since that hasn’t been reversed.

The reality for DOD is that when a huge policy is reversed quickly, it appears political and erodes confidence in DOD on the senior leaders’ decision making capability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2023, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
6,515 posts, read 6,975,288 times
Reputation: 9237
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
When the covid vaccine mandate existed in DOD, the reasoning was “…unvaccinated soldiers “present risk to the force and jeopardize readiness.””

What changed? Why are unvaccinated soldiers or former unvaccinated all of the sudden no longer a “present risk to the force?” Are unvaccinated sailors also no longer a “risk to the force?” Airmen?

The problem for DOD is their message flipped quickly and the perception that senior DOD leadership make decisions without all the facts. DOD immediately suspended Smallpox vaccines during Covid vaccine rollout and that seems to be based on research since that hasn’t been reversed.

The reality for DOD is that when a huge policy is reversed quickly, it appears political and erodes confidence in DOD on the senior leaders’ decision making capability.
What has changed is that as a people we have enough immunity in our country that the vaccine can become just like the flu vaccine which the military still mandates. The arguments on both sides of that arguement were incorrect. But..... you can have your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2023, 07:48 AM
 
5,891 posts, read 3,160,730 times
Reputation: 10610
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
What has changed is that as a people we have enough immunity in our country that the vaccine can become just like the flu vaccine which the military still mandates. The arguments on both sides of that arguement were incorrect. But..... you can have your opinion.
I get the flu vaccine every year, and I’ve gotten the initial Pfizer series, and then one booster. I am fine. Never once had a negative reaction to any shot, and I’ve gotten about 100 total shots over the years.

But let’s be honest here, mRNA is not the same as the flu vaccine, it is different technology.

Because long term safety of mRNA is still being studied, I don’t blame young people for opting out.

I suspect that mRNA is safe, and I agree that there currently is no evidence that Covid vaccines are dangerous for you, but I don’t know with 100% certainty that that will continue to be true.

Even you mentioned that the Covid vaccine “could become just like the flu vaccine.” I agree, it could become like the flu vaccine after those long term studies wrap up in about a decade or two or however long they need.

So we are all in agreement that in this snapshot in time, we aren’t complete with our Covid vaccine knowledge.

Bottom line, nobody should’ve been forced to get the Covid vaccine, and that fact is backed up by their policy reversal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2023, 08:38 AM
 
Location: U.S.
9,512 posts, read 8,970,582 times
Reputation: 5927
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
What has changed is that as a people we have enough immunity in our country that the vaccine can become just like the flu vaccine which the military still mandates. The arguments on both sides of that arguement were incorrect. But..... you can have your opinion.
The flu vaccine is administered each year to try staving off “the next strain of flu”. The Covid vaccine was a one time (2 part) vaccine with no boosters even required.

You’re conflating the two separate applications to two separate vaccine methodologies.

DOD’s apology email doesn’t state that Covid immunity has been reached thus negating the use for further vaccinations. American has reached saturation (collective immunity) for both polio and measles yet those vaccines are still required.

Can you please try again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2023, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
6,515 posts, read 6,975,288 times
Reputation: 9237
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The flu vaccine is administered each year to try staving off “the next strain of flu”. The Covid vaccine was a one time (2 part) vaccine with no boosters even required.

You’re conflating the two separate applications to two separate vaccine methodologies.

DOD’s apology email doesn’t state that Covid immunity has been reached thus negating the use for further vaccinations. American has reached saturation (collective immunity) for both polio and measles yet those vaccines are still required.

Can you please try again?
again you already have made up your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2023, 06:10 PM
 
Location: U.S.
9,512 posts, read 8,970,582 times
Reputation: 5927
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
again you already have made up your mind.
It was fun discussion. Until next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2023, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
6,515 posts, read 6,975,288 times
Reputation: 9237
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
It was fun discussion. Until next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2023, 09:02 PM
 
565 posts, read 458,658 times
Reputation: 1332
"I was just following orders". That didn't work out very well for those guys at Nuremberg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top