Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 12:34 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
how is he not paid on time?????
I would imagine in times of .......

........ https://www.militarytimes.com/opinio...tary-families/
(government shutdowns)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 12:35 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
No. I wasn't in for very long (three years in the late 80s, given an early-out option) and I didn't appreciate my time in, so I didn't accept any of the benefits.

But having seen my daughter marry into the military, they don't take care of our active duty very well, nor their families. I can't tell you how much trouble my daughter has getting medical care for their children through Tricare, and sometimes he isn't paid on time. It's a disgrace, and I would never suggest anyone join now.
I've been in the system for almost 40 years - over 20 active duty and now also receiving VA disability pay. Have never missed a pay date.

Maybe your daughter needs to ask some questions.

And for you, do you have your medical records? Did you ever get injured or develop a condition while serving? If so, check with the VA or a veterans service officer - you might be eligible for compensation.

Old 12-13-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I would imagine in times of .......

........ https://www.militarytimes.com/opinio...tary-families/
(government shutdowns)
It did not. We were fine.

Old 12-13-2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Unfortunately, there are about 58,000 servicemen from the Vietnam war era who are unavailable to answer this poll question because they didn't survive the war. My guess is that most of them would vote "No" if they were somehow able to respond.

There are probably another couple hundred thousand who sustained serious injuries during Vietnam who would likely vote "No" also.

And what did we accomplish over there other than killing tens of thousands of our young men and severely wounding a couple hundred thousand more? Not much as far as I can tell.

Sure, military service during peacetime is a great experience for many people who would have little to no chance of seeing the world or getting an education otherwise, but for those who spent time wading through jungles or living in foxholes in subfreezing weather, you might get a different response.

All that said, I'm glad that we have people who VOLUNTEER to serve today.
They were drafted, so did not really have a choice.

Old 12-13-2023, 01:04 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
how is he not paid on time?????
During my short career, I experienced a couple of instances where my pay stopped for as long as 4 months at a time, while local auditors fiddled around.

The worst case, was when a local auditor thought he saw a glitch, so without discussing it with me, he initiated a pay stop while his department scratched their behinds to think about what had caused the apparent glitch. I was fortunate in that my department head went into Dispursing and chewed out their department head.

It got ugly because one dispursing clerk went to one of my civilian creditors and told that creditor that my pay was fine, and it was just an issue of me refusing to pay my debts. That dispursing clerk eventually got into trouble over the issue.

Old 12-13-2023, 01:10 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Vets... Would you do it all over again or recommend it today?
I would do it again.

I served for 20+ years, and I have been retired for 20+ years.

If I were to do it again, this time I would do a few things differently.

A lot more CLEP'ing, and interfacing with the Regents office.

Something I have noticed among Vet groups is that Vets who have problems and issues are more likely to be guys who only served one contract. Whereas retirees have a completely different attitude about their service.

Old 12-13-2023, 01:15 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
During my short career, I experienced a couple of instances where my pay stopped for as long as 4 months at a time, while local auditors fiddled around.

The worst case, was when a local auditor thought he saw a glitch, so without discussing it with me, he initiated a pay stop while his department scratched their behinds to think about what had caused the apparent glitch. I was fortunate in that my department head went into Dispursing and chewed out their department head.

It got ugly because one dispursing clerk went to one of my civilian creditors and told that creditor that my pay was fine, and it was just an issue of me refusing to pay my debts. That dispursing clerk eventually got into trouble over the issue.
I knew an Army General who they stopped his pay because they didn't know where he was, thought he was AWOL (MAG duty overseas). Needless to say, he was rather furious when they told him that.....not only because of that but if they would do it to a General.....then how are they treating the troops?
Quote:
........Something I have noticed among Vet groups is that Vets who have problems and issues are more likely to be guys who only served one contract. Whereas retirees have a completely different attitude about their service.
Makes it an interesting question of are people like that for the conditions stated or do those conditions just draw a certain group of people?

I don't know but I would say.....being successful for security in security is not conductive to a long career because you are likely to p*** a lot of people off doing your job and some of those people are powerful or will be powerful*. If you are not worried about your career...be a bulldog.

*Admiral Kelso was visiting an interior command and I was known by then not to be subdued. From the security officer of that command, I got to message, "Ounce! Admiral Kelso is a prima donna! Treat with kids gloves, please!".

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-13-2023 at 01:26 PM..

Old 12-13-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:

were you in the guard or reserves. Have never heard of anything like this happening in the regular service. Well at least in the Air Force. Guess that was the days before direct deposit?

Old 12-13-2023, 01:30 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
In North Korea....raining real hard....150 some feet from the nearest Chinese troops and our pay officier still came out to give me my military script that ended up getting real wet.

Old 12-13-2023, 03:36 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Unfortunately, there are about 58,000 servicemen from the Vietnam war era who are unavailable to answer this poll question because they didn't survive the war. My guess is that most of them would vote "No" if they were somehow able to respond..........
Quote:
They were drafted, so did not really have a choice.
Yeah, for the most part. Personally, I fought, begged and cried until they let me go, but for the most part we all had to go. I was already in the service when Vietnam broke out.

The 58,000 Americans who died would be interested - perhaps - in the 1 million plus people who died as a result of the Americans not being there. Oftentimes, the Vietnam War is ridiculed because, as is said, the domino effect of communism never occurred ...... but did it? Once the American government abandoned the effort, the communists ran wild, killing at will.
Yeah. The 58,000 may be interested in the popular American notion that Vietnam was for nothing. Most of the 1 million, meanwhile, would be screaming, "Why did you leave?"

Soldier and sailors don't get to pick the wars, although sometimes they do try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues