Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 05:36 AM

6,592 posts, read 7,084,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
A hard no for both, especially within the Army, which is the only branch I service in until retirement.

I did over 13 years on Active (Combat Arms: Tanks) and 17 in the Reserve (Combat Support: MP) as a senior NCO.

Maybe the Coastguard or Space Force, but never the Army or Marines.

I will not lie, without my military service, I would not have landed and retired from my federal civilian job as a GS-13. Without question, there are some great benefits, but in return, you have to sell your soul AND put up with beyond massive amounts of BS. Leaving Active Duty and retiring out of the Reserve we’re two of my best days in my life… Excluding the birth of my kids.

I can only imagine all the BS in today’s Army after years of WOKE-ism training. I often wonder if they make a female Infantry-woman carry the M240G, along with all her own gear PLUS extra for the platoon and a minimum of 200rds of ammo.
With a grand total of 601 women in infantry and armor units, not a whole lof of themneeding to be issued an M240G. Mostly now infantry is mechanized meaning they actually store their equipment in the vehicles that take them into combat.

I am like you and spent time in both active duty and reserves and retired out of the reserves. I will say that without reservation I would do it all over again. That in spite of some of my days were not all that happy, I have come to appreciate everything that you might have supressed.

But before I forget, thank you for your service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 11:44 AM

778 posts, read 503,975 times
Probably not. There is no direct threat to the US today, no troops massing at the border, only illegal immigrants, no one crossing our borders looking to topple our way of life or makes us slaves or anything. I was drafted in '68, to go and kill the yellow man. I went, but made sure I wouldn't have to kill any yellow men. Would I go to the Ukraine to fight Russians? No. Would I go to Gaza to fight Hamas? No. If the Canadians invaded to get all our bacon, I'd try to do something, but I'm way past infantry age. Lacking a direct attack, I wouldn't want my Grandsons going.

Old 12-17-2023, 03:15 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
No way, we accomplished nothing in Vietnam except getting a bunch of young Americans killed and the same in Afghanistan. These wars are only about making people rich.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:18 PM

76 posts, read 49,869 times
No way in heck. They lied to me to get me in, lied about what I would be trained to do, lied about the undeclared war I was dragged into on foreign soil, by the time I was 19 I killed three human beings up close and personal and gosh knows how many others and all for a nation that lied to me and betrayed me.

And for what, so I can press one for English and see everyday my children's and grand children's birthright stolen from them by an unrelenting hoard of invaders crossing the open border of what is suppose to be a sovereign nation? Everyday I seen foreign flags flying in American cities, festival after celebrating the cultures and nations of failure these miscreants fled from and my own children's wages confiscated from them and my grandchildren born into debt bondage to pay for the benefits of foreigners. And our judicial system is as corrupt as can be, with the rule of law depending on your skin color, sexuality, ethnicity, religion,or politics persuasion.

I did not kill for this. I killed to protect my nation and these SOBs are giving it away. And my god, we do not have fighting men anymore we have pansy divisions. Heck, I am not even sure the enemy would know how to torture some of armed service members, what with the body piercing, sodomy, and S&M, heck a lot of the would probably look forward to being interrogated.

I am sorry I ever served.

Last edited by PossumMan; 12-17-2023 at 07:26 PM..

Old 12-17-2023, 08:09 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,793,911 times
Vietnam Era veteran, peace broke out, I spent two years on active duty and was discharged. Would have done it again if ever called. Would do it today if called.

Old 12-18-2023, 09:41 AM

6,092 posts, read 3,332,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossumMan View Post
No way in heck. They lied to me to get me in, lied about what I would be trained to do, lied about the undeclared war I was dragged into on foreign soil, by the time I was 19 I killed three human beings up close and personal and gosh knows how many others and all for a nation that lied to me and betrayed me.

And for what, so I can press one for English and see everyday my children's and grand children's birthright stolen from them by an unrelenting hoard of invaders crossing the open border of what is suppose to be a sovereign nation? Everyday I seen foreign flags flying in American cities, festival after celebrating the cultures and nations of failure these miscreants fled from and my own children's wages confiscated from them and my grandchildren born into debt bondage to pay for the benefits of foreigners. And our judicial system is as corrupt as can be, with the rule of law depending on your skin color, sexuality, ethnicity, religion,or politics persuasion.

I did not kill for this. I killed to protect my nation and these SOBs are giving it away. And my god, we do not have fighting men anymore we have pansy divisions. Heck, I am not even sure the enemy would know how to torture some of armed service members, what with the body piercing, sodomy, and S&M, heck a lot of the would probably look forward to being interrogated.

I don’t know if what you wrote is the truth or not, but if it is, I approve of this message.

Old 12-18-2023, 11:02 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossumMan View Post

Most people with “tact” wouldn’t outright say they killed people in combat. It’s assumed if you just say you had to do “dreadful things that will haunt me for life” or something along those lines…..geez

Old 12-18-2023, 03:23 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
1961 to 1965, US Navy Submarine Service. Prior to enlistment I took an all day battery of tests. The tests results came back basically saying Engineering of some type. The recruiter and I looked it over and I said EM (Electricians Mate) sounded good. He was clear that I was enlisting for 4 years, and was guaranteed EM school. He also explained if I failed EM School, I was sent out to the fleet to do whatever but in engineering. I went to Electronics and Electrician Prep School then on to Submarine School.
Long story short when I got out of the Navy I hired on as a test technician for a large computer company. I moved on from company to company and started climbing the corporate ladder in Sales and Marketing in high tech companies. Point of my story is the US Navy laid the foundation of my career. I had a great time in the Navy and it was well worth my time.

Old 12-18-2023, 04:27 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
1961 to 1965, US Navy Submarine Service. Prior to enlistment I took an all day battery of tests. The tests results came back basically saying Engineering of some type. The recruiter and I looked it over and I said EM (Electricians Mate) sounded good. He was clear that I was enlisting for 4 years, and was guaranteed EM school. He also explained if I failed EM School, I was sent out to the fleet to do whatever but in engineering. I went to Electronics and Electrician Prep School then on to Submarine School.
Long story short when I got out of the Navy I hired on as a test technician for a large computer company. I moved on from company to company and started climbing the corporate ladder in Sales and Marketing in high tech companies. Point of my story is the US Navy laid the foundation of my career. I had a great time in the Navy and it was well worth my time.
But you were not in combat watching men your age die beside you. Maybe, someone you had been talking with 10 minutes earlier.

Old 12-18-2023, 08:57 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
But you were not in combat watching men your age die beside you. Maybe, someone you had been talking with 10 minutes earlier.
And your point is? Has the question suddenly shifted to "only those who were in combat are permitted to answer?".

Combat certainly pushes up the odds....but being in the military in a non combat job is no picnic either. I've seen a line snapback whiz by my legs because the towing ship crew used synthetic instead of natural hemp. And being the LSO on an open deck, I knew that if that helo crashed, odds are I'd be under it and there would be decent odds that the Captain would order up a hard rudder to slide bird and everyone trapped with it into the drink.

As far as what those on submarines probably did, I would not slight their service at all.

As it is, to that aspect, that section of risk, yes again if the safety rigs are the same, no ir they are not, and probably not, maybe, across the board, or if I said yes, then with a lot of apprehension. There was an article in the 1978-9 USNI Proceedings by a merchant captain about his concern to handled emergencies with the reduced crew he had....and I am afraid no lessons have been learned in the Navy in the decades after. While the course set by "SWOs in a box" has been changed somewhat, it still seems like a trickle answer to an insane decision that should have never been made.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-18-2023 at 09:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues