Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 01:31 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Positive. In lead up to large mobilization, any warm body. No kicking people out for dope or PT failure.

Proper vetting. Haha. Failed drug tests, felonies, and yes, people who entered the country illegally. First hand experience.

Facts: https://www.duckworth.senate.gov/new...he-us-military
yeah maybe back in the 60s with today NDAA numbers they will be telling recruiters to dial it back. I just do not believe it will ever happen that way again. We just do not need the numbers of soldiers and the services are very particular now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 03:49 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
yeah maybe back in the 60s with today NDAA numbers they will be telling recruiters to dial it back. I just do not believe it will ever happen that way again. We just do not need the numbers of soldiers and the services are very particular now.
This was during OIF and OEF.

Old 12-28-2023, 08:15 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
I had no interest, draftee. It’s a better question for career soldiers. Surprising how many say they like the military yet leave after a few years. Military service is a positive in many ways but also a downside if you don’t have a plan after you leave.

Old 12-29-2023, 12:31 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,287 times
Most of my thoughts on this would be unpopular. I had a terrable sore throat in basic training that I have always thought did some permanant damage to my throat. It was winter. Had to keep going out in the cold. All I could do was wrap a scarf around my neck. Sick call was a joke, they just send you back out. If I had known the right people maybe I could have stayed out due to my frequent migraine headaches. I had had a school deferment then a occupational deferment that protected me from the draft till age 24. A day came when somebody decided my job was no longer important. I joined up a day before I was supposed report for the draft. I was supposed to get some high tech cryptogtaphy school. So I'm being processes in and they say I can't have that school cus I've not been tested for it. So I accept the lessor school the offer me because if I don't I'm drafted tomorrow anyway. My overseas duty was Korea instead of Nam. I remember some guys from the radio school went to Italy
My employer took me back, Credited the 3 years military time as continuous service with the company. I retired with a pension, company health care and a 401k at age 57. I somehow aged out of the worst headaches around age 60.
If I could do it again? If I had that choice it would have to be no. But I don't know who I would be now if I did not have that experience.
It's safe to say I would never traveled to Europe on my own if I had not been given a taste of Germany on a 2 week war game they sent us on. They gave us a couple days off and trucked us into Nurimburg. Me and a friend missed the truck going back and bought a map got train tickets and traveled like tourists to get back to where we were supposed to be. When we got back there was some weekend left, there was some confusion of who was supposed to gone on what days, so we went out again. No one was gonna know. I don't remember exactly what small town we went to.

A few years later, the book Europe on $5 a day in my hand, A Eurail pass in my wallet, I was off to Europe on my own. This kid who barely made it out of high school was a international traveler. Barely made it out of high school is true but an interest in electronics and some pre entrance testing got me into a 2y electronic technology school which got me the job retired from after 36 years.
I hated the effing military. Adversity makes us stronger

Old 01-18-2024, 01:01 AM

15 posts, read 9,022 times
It's a mixed answer. If I was basing whether to join based on what I know now regarding veteran benifits, the society worthiness of my service, promises made, or certainty in the political and DOD in leadership? The answer would likely be no. As well the current and future likelihood of service members being in a position to need to consider the portion of the oath regarding illegal orders beyond an intellectual exercise is growing. At one point that thought would be inconceivable to me, or perhaps I was merely naive.

However, if it was based on what I learned about myself, the people I met, and taking care of my guys? The last is probably the biggest reason people stay in. Then likely yes. In my experience people join/don't join for what they are promised, and patriotism, people stay in/ or don't, more due to the connections they made than patriotic duty.

I joined the day after 9/11 in the mistaken belief the worst threat my nation faced was external. As bad as 9 11 was, and it was tragic and horrible and any other adjective you care to insert. Outside the direct loss of life and later complications 1st responders suffered, materially it did little practical damage to military capability, economic strength, or societal bonds.
Conversely, while on deployment I watch my nation all but destroy its own economy out of pure greed doing far more substantive and long term damage than any terrorist ever has. Invade another nation under false pretense for no other reason than politics, then spend over a decade, friends lost, and billions of dollars to rebuild it then all but abandon the effort with nothing gained. [EDIT] other than spawning a new terror group far more capable and dangerous than the one that prompted me to join in the 1st place [EDIT] Allow pharmaceutical companies to push more addictive drugs than the avg cartel. Become so partisan it treats a global infectious disease like a joke, or as the end of life as we know it depending on which team one played for. Institute lockdowns AFTER a disease is in community
spread ( barn doors and fires spring to mind) doing it's
damndest to cripple it's economy again. Treat the same guy like he's the anti christ or the 2nd comming. Then treat a national border like your merely picking a team for dodge ball.

Now, I spend considerable time post service helping former subordinates and peers not get screwed over by the nation they served. There are no words...

If I had to do it it over again, I could not say with any confidence which way I would jump.

Last edited by BMBender; 01-18-2024 at 02:22 AM..

Old 01-18-2024, 05:48 PM

24 posts, read 10,172 times
If I was in the same circumstances that I was in after graduating from high school all those years ago, sure I’d definitely join the military. There are MOS’s available today that were science fiction back when I was 18. Not mention there’s units that have real mission like the 160th SOAR, so you really feel like you are serving your country. Plus, everybody would “thank me for my service” and let me board an airliner first. That didn’t happen when I was serving.

Old 01-23-2024, 07:44 PM

215 posts, read 189,912 times
Yes, but instead of Army, I'd go Air Force and learn a marketable trade. Not much need to call artillery fire in IRL. I did learn a few skills that helped me out when I transitioned to the world. Could have been better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues