Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 07:55 AM

194 posts, read 152,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Please try to temper your sadness when around your daughter. She needs to support her spouse and be upbeat about this relocation, not worried about her parents. Your daughter is a married adult.
I am doing well as far as being supportive, I am sad, but being very "up" and when we talk and or see each other. I am excited for them really as this will be a great experience, but yes, I am doing good in front of them, it is tough though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Wow, your son-in-law and daughter are fortunate to have a new PCS (permanent change of station) to a CONUS (continental US) location that is not far from a major airport. Your son-in-law could have gotten PCS to Okinawa, Guantanamo Bay (Cuba), Diego Garcia Island (middle of the Indian Ocean) or Djibouti on the eastern horn of Africa instead. Don't be shocked in a few years if the next duty station is OCONUS (outside CONUS). Some OCONUS permanent duty stations are unaccompanied tours, so that means your daughter will have a whole other situation to deal with. Military spouses have to be just as tough as the one in uniform, so they need all the positive support you can give them.
I was thinking that too! He has a decision to make next year whether or not to re enlist and not sure what he is thinking as yet, but good point! He is thinking of trying for CID though, lots to go through to get that position.... what is unaccompanied tour mean?

Old 03-27-2024, 09:01 AM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remirosie123 View Post
I was thinking that too! He has a decision to make next year whether or not to re enlist and not sure what he is thinking as yet, but good point! He is thinking of trying for CID though, lots to go through to get that position.... what is unaccompanied tour mean?
The government will not pay for a dependent (spouse, child, etc.) to move with you and generally will not offer services for dependents and accommodations suitable for dependents. Thus, even if your daughter is legally allowed to move to a certain overseas location, it would be on her (their) own dime and at an added expense generally due to fewer services and benefits being available to them.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The government will not pay for a dependent (spouse, child, etc.) to move with you and generally will not offer services for dependents and accommodations suitable for dependents. Thus, even if your daughter is legally allowed to move to a certain overseas location, it would be on her (their) own dime and at an added expense generally due to fewer services and benefits being available to them.
Oh, ok I have not heard of that. Can I trouble you for one more question....do you know anything about how the CID Program process may be? It is hard to find much online. My daughter is hoping to get a job eventually with NCIS(she's been interning at NCIS already) and now her husband is looking into CID(he does security now).

Old 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM

292 posts, read 725,118 times
If he's going to go far away I'd say screw it just try to go overseas accompanied to Okinawa. You'll have a more memorable experience in a foreign country than just going to CA. The reality of military life is most people have to move around if they are going to move up the food chain because they need a variety of skills to stay employed. It's not really a career for those who wish to be near their hometown. There are some MOS's that let you stay at a few bases doing warehouse/logistic stuff that could be near family, but that's the exception.

Old 03-27-2024, 11:44 AM

24,480 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
??? What happened to the spouse being on military orders and command sponsorship/Deers?

Old 03-27-2024, 11:54 AM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
??? What happened to the spouse being on military orders and command sponsorship/Deers?
Still going on. They can't go to a base that is considered a remote location, but anything else - yes. The military pays for all that.

Old 03-27-2024, 11:55 AM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times
Quote:
not true.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:13 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
not true.
I believe prospectheights is referring to unaccompanied tours, i.e., Korea.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:16 PM

445 posts, read 281,410 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
not true.
prospectheightsresident was answering the question "What does an unaccompanied tour mean? It appears to me that you guys mistook that answer as a general statement on how military assignments work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues