Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 7,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freas8312 View Post
Ok, so here's my background...

29 year old female, 4 year degree, play Div. I soccer at the Univ. of South Carolina, married (no children) living in Raleigh, NC, triathlete, runner... pretty much an athlete my whole life so I know I have a mental/physical toughness about me... I am a former HS health and PE teacher and LOVED IT! I want to go back eventually, but finishing my teaching certification is difficult to do while working and money being an issue to pay for classes (I was doing what is called Lateral Entry)... before that, I was working in the non-profit world (YMCA) and just recently lost my job in the corporate world... (I HATED IT ANYWAY, SO LOSING MY JOB WAS BITTER SWEET)... What ever I do, I WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE! I WANT TO HELP PEOPLE and I WANT FINANCIAL SECURITY!

So, with all that, within the past month or two, I have been contemplating the idea of going in the military. I don't know which branch yet, but what I do know so far is NO to the Marines (just not my style). The branch I've looked the most into is the Army National Guard. I have talked to two different recruiters (I think both with the National Guard), friends, my husband, and several city data people to give me some insight. Some friends say Air Force because they are more about the "people". What does that mean? I am going to talk to a friend of mine next week about the Navy... she just graduated from the Naval Academy... what are your thoughts...?

With this contemplation, I have realized that peoples' opinions tend to be a bit biased (b/t branches) either b/c they were in a certain branch or new someone that was in a different one and what I would like to find is someone or something that will kind of spell things out for me... pros and cons... and I have also heard and read that recruiters won't really tell you the truth about what you are getting your self into. And what about jobs that I qualify for and pick... is it true that they can throw me into anything they want me to be in? Meaning, I know NOTHING about mechanics and have no desire... they wouldn't put in a job that I have no knowledge or interest in, would they? Should I go in as enlisted... or as an officer... I am getting mixed info. about both...

Please, take time to give me your honest and educated opinion...

FYI - I already took the ASVAB. I don't know what jobs I qualified for yet.

Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 7,960 times
Cool The Air Force of course !!

Quote:

29 year old female, 4 year degree, play Div. I soccer at the Univ. of South Carolina, married (no children) living in Raleigh, NC, triathlete, runner... pretty much an athlete my whole life so I know I have a mental/physical toughness about me... I am a former HS health and PE teacher and LOVED IT! I want to go back eventually, but finishing my teaching certification is difficult to do while working and money being an issue to pay for classes (I was doing what is called Lateral Entry)... before that, I was working in the non-profit world (YMCA) and just recently lost my job in the corporate world... (I HATED IT ANYWAY, SO LOSING MY JOB WAS BITTER SWEET)... What ever I do, I WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE! I WANT TO HELP PEOPLE and I WANT FINANCIAL SECURITY!

So, with all that, within the past month or two, I have been contemplating the idea of going in the military. I don't know which branch yet, but what I do know so far is NO to the Marines (just not my style). The branch I've looked the most into is the Army National Guard. I have talked to two different recruiters (I think both with the National Guard), friends, my husband, and several city data people to give me some insight. Some friends say Air Force because they are more about the "people". What does that mean? I am going to talk to a friend of mine next week about the Navy... she just graduated from the Naval Academy... what are your thoughts...?

With this contemplation, I have realized that peoples' opinions tend to be a bit biased (b/t branches) either b/c they were in a certain branch or new someone that was in a different one and what I would like to find is someone or something that will kind of spell things out for me... pros and cons... and I have also heard and read that recruiters won't really tell you the truth about what you are getting your self into. And what about jobs that I qualify for and pick... is it true that they can throw me into anything they want me to be in? Meaning, I know NOTHING about mechanics and have no desire... they wouldn't put in a job that I have no knowledge or interest in, would they? Should I go in as enlisted... or as an officer... I am getting mixed info. about both...

Thank you for your time!

I think what they meant by the Air Force being a 'people' service is that you are shown respect for your individuality, intelligence, social and basic needs, capabilities, and willingness to serve both in the military and your community. At each base you are forwarded to, you are assigned a host family who helps you get settled and acquainted. You are given all sorts of incentives for furthering your education. Your privacy is respected. It's a kinder gentler military service but definately effective.
The Air Force gets a lot of flak for staying at the Holiday Inn when on deployments (true) !! Basic needs met on a pleasant scale frees servicemembers to focus on mission and effectiveness.
I have been a dependent, relative, Air Force member for 16-1/2 years and 3 years Air National Guard, have a daughter who served and been associated through my new job with the Air Force for over 65 years and I have yet to hear anyone in the Air Force wish they had joined a different branch -- not so the other way !! Good luck in your new military career...

Old 07-14-2008, 08:17 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,244 times
My Son did 4 years enlisted with the AF - got his degree and got out due to cutbacks !!! Then he decided he wanted to go back in as an Officer - AF was too long a wait so he is now at Fort Benning doing his OCS. He graduates at the end of this month, he has said that the AF was like kindegarden compared to the Army.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:43 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
All I can tell you is, whatever job you decide to sign up for, make sure it is in writing on your contract, or you might wind up doing something else instead.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:10 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,765 times
I was in the Army, My husband is retired Army, my father-in-law was in the Navy and my daughter is currently in the Airforce. Of all the military branches, the Airforce has the highest comfort level. It's actually referred to by Army people as the "Chairforce". Airforce installations offer better quality of life facilities, such as pools, nice clubs, lodging, dining etc... If you get deployed in the Airforce you will be in safer locations and for much shorter rotations (6 months versus 15 months).
With your background you should be an officer. If you enlist, you should at least get credit for your education and enter at a higher rank. Make sure the job you sign up for is really what you want to learn and do. You can make your enlistment conditioned on getting your choice of MOS (military occupation specialty).

Best of luck!

Sandy

Old 07-14-2008, 02:16 PM

5,340 posts, read 4,428,220 times
Just a note to those thinking of joining the military. Be advised of the age limitations for the respective services.

For enlisted:
Quote:
Active Army - 42
Army Reserves (Including National Guard) - 42
Active Air Force - 27
Air Force Reserve (including National Guard) - 34
Active Navy - 34
Naval Reserves - 39
Active Marines - 28
Marine Corps Reserve - 29
Active Duty Coast Guard - Age 27. Note: up to age 32 for those selected to attend A-school directly upon enlistment (this is mostly for prior service).
Coast Guard Reserves - Age 39.
Enlistment Standards

For officers:
Quote:
...the maximum age for a commission is age 35.
U.S. Military FAQ -- What is the maximum age to become an officer in the Military?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:56 AM

613 posts, read 1,017,310 times
I agree with J Arp. But I think you're over the hill for active duty enlisted. If you want to look into enlisted guard units my advice is to check out air and army national guard units in a few locations/states (google national guard) and find out what their mission is, whether they deploy and where, what jobs are available (they'll send you to training first), and whether it's full time or weekends. Then visit the unit and talk to people. Air is easier in terms of modern conveniences, but Army probably is more in need of people. In any case, good luck, I don't think you'll regret it. GO FOR IT!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 05:42 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
If you enjoy working out and fitness I would avoid the Navy. Its can be very tough to stay in shape working 12 hour shifts for 6 months at a time out to sea and if your on a smaller ship your lucky to have a couple treadmills to work with.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:37 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Quote:

Thank you for your time!
I did Army OCS when I was 29yrs old.

Went to Army BCT 3 weeks after getting my Masters Degree in Education.

I felt "stalled" in my life yet I was actively employed;friends; nice apt; nice car, you name it. There was just some draw for me to join. EVERYONE thought I was crazy. I wanted changed & wanted to feel challenged. I got that be it both positive & negative.

Was both the best & worst decision in my life.

I wouldn't change what I did for the world. Just sometimes wish I would have joined the Marines Only reason I didn't was b/c I didn't think I could run fast enough for their officer program. Turned out I could & not only at their standards, but far beyond.

If anything, don't just enlist. You have a 4yr degree. Do an officer program.

Please be aware that right now Navy & Air Force officer programs are VERY specific in who they need to fill their ranks. Always have been, but even more so now. With this day & age, the Army & Marines need officers & enlisted due to the nature of the current conflicts in the world.

Being Army, I always found those to be the cream of the crop in terms of their lifestyle & their bases. I was stationed in Korea & the main AF base there (Osan) was nicer than some small towns in the US.

Not b/c Officers are better, but b/c of what you will be able to do in the branch with a degree as to compared to without. You will get more money. It's like applying for a civilian job to an extent: you have a degree & should be able to have a job rewards that degree.

I know a few college grads who enlisted. Most went through officer programs the moment they could

Can they throw you into anything? Yep. But if you are very determined & know the routes to take, you may get into a field that is a good match. Even if it is in writing, it can change. You are working for the government & signing a contract to basically do whatever they want you to do regardless of how you feel about it. Recruiters will tell you what you want to hear. Be careful. Right now they need recruits & will do what it takes. You are a number to a recruiter. Some are really good & some are just dirt bags. The military is not perfect by any means & they have some shady people in it just as the civilian world does.

Being a female in the military limits you, to an extent, of the more "interesting" things you can do. That does not mean you would not find a niche in your branch & do well.

I met my dh in the military & am now a civilian, but there are still times I just miss it. Don't miss the red tape & some of the crap that goes along with being in the military, but I miss the people most. Some really good & true people in our armed services.

As for financial security...that's probably the #1 reason people join. It cost me $27 to deliver my son. We never worried about finances or health care.

If I wanted the most "comfortable" branch": Air Force.

Also take into consideration being separated from your dh & family for long periods of time. No phone calls. No emails. Nothing. It's a reality you have to be able to handle & overcome.

And I sure as heck wouldn't do ANG or AR. Lots of reasons for that being said but they are just so used & abused IMO.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. My story may fall right into line with yours.

Last edited by 121804; 07-16-2008 at 07:51 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 07:56 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnetx View Post
Given your athletic background, Ask for and get Airborne slot and get posted to an airborne-qualified unit. You will have a blast.

If you want to DO stuff, be enlisted. If you want to call the shots, be an officer.
Sure as heck will. I still to this day can't believe I completed ABN school but I did. It was a hell of a ride.

And the last sentence of the poster...EXACTLY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues