U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:34 AM

7,067 posts, read 16,003,895 times

Advertisements

And, a VERY GOOD 2 cents worth!! You are absolutely right with "If people are so proud of our service to our country, then why don't they hire us?"
But, many HR Departments are full of 20's/30's age people who really have no idea about how a military job can "cross-over" to a civillian job. I'm from the Viet Nam era and these 20-30 yr olds have no idea about anything that far back. A lot of times, these interviewers want to know how many "keystrokes" you can do on a computer.......KEYSTROKES......"just put me on the darn computer and I will show you just how fast/accurate I am!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aomething View Post
I went on about 8 interviews in the last year that I was in the Guard, knowing I was not going to be employed anymore. In these interviews, they inquired about my guard weekends and summer training. I said yes to both, I too never heard back. If people are so proud of our service to our country, then why won't they hire us? I was Information Management, but in the real world that would be an Administrative Assistant or Office Assistant. 3 Yrs later, I am still looking for a job. I understand how frustrated you are. Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 07:41 AM

7,067 posts, read 16,003,895 times
Years ago, the Veteran's Job Assistance area at a local Unemployment Office really helped me. Back then, Vets were put as "priority" for new jobs and the Vet Reps were very good to me. But, today, "they are there, but there not there." Everything that I have learned about Purchasing/Inventory/Stores, I learned in civilian life b/c so much has changed since I was in the Navy in the late 60's into the 70's. One major thing......NO computers back then!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
My husband had a really hard time finding a good job when he retired (over 22 years active duty) and he was in his early forties. He too had the high security clearance, great supervisory skills, people skills, computer knowledge etc. What hindered him was the fact that he was too "educated" or "skilled" for most of the positions he was applying for!

The local Veteran's Job Assistant at the job center was absolutely zero help. What that guy was getting paid was an insult when you looked at how little he helped our Vets. I sat in on a meeting and was stunned at some of the stuff that came out of his mouth!

My husband and I finally took all his military experience and worded it into a civilian resume. Believe it or not, that did the trick (or at least it seemed to).

If you have access to a library on an installation go to the career section and hit the resume writing books. They were a great resource for us.

Good luck to all of you!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:11 AM

4 posts, read 28,231 times
Loveboating: Wow I know exactly what you are talking about. I recently retired from the military after having served a total of 26 years. Now I am competing in the corporate work force with a boat load of skills and experience BUT NO EXPERIENCE in the CORPORATE WORK FORCE. All my skills and experience has been in the military. So I get phone and in person interviews I feel are "token" interviews so the company can say they conducted the right amount of interviews before they hire who they really want to hire. Several times I was a runner up for first place but was relegated to second place because even though I had the skills, knowledge and abilities, I lacked the CORPORATE experience. How can one overcome that?

Old 07-28-2008, 11:58 PM

664 posts, read 2,574,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB711 View Post
How can one overcome that?
Do you know what I plan on doing? I plan on starting my own business. The VA, in conjunction with the SBA, have started something called a Patriot Loan. This is a small business loan, up to 500k. They only take 24 hours for approval or disapproval.

I am sick and tired of being told no for employment by people who judge me not on my skills or knowledge, but on their own personal misconceptions about people in the military.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 PM

451 posts, read 1,097,274 times
At 1st I felt I was being discriminated against, because when I first put my resume online I wasn't getting any hits in my own hometown. I finally got a few calls, but they didn't want to pay what I thought I was worth. I finally stepped outside my hometown and went the the next 2 big cities that were within a few hours and got interviews and calls. I finally got a job, but I do wonder if my military credentials kept me from landing a job.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:43 AM

443 posts, read 1,905,029 times
"""But, what I'm wondering about is the folks who are recently discharged or in the last 10 years have been discharged. Have you found it hard getting jobs?"""

To me it's seems the ones who have no college degree are the ones finding it harder to get a job. It seems times have changed a little and 20 plus years in the service is great but no collge degree still decreases your job openings. But I am only talking about people appyling for professional jobs where now a days you have to have a degree to get an interview.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:02 AM

1,353 posts, read 3,132,262 times
Use your GI Bill to get at least a bachelors degree, and you won't have that problem.

As an example, the federal government is practically begging for veterans and you get veterans preference in the hiring process for entry level "foot in the door" positions...provided you have the necessary educational requirements, of course.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:11 PM

664 posts, read 2,574,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Use your GI Bill to get at least a bachelors degree, and you won't have that problem.

As an example, the federal government is practically begging for veterans and you get veterans preference in the hiring process for entry level "foot in the door" positions...provided you have the necessary educational requirements, of course.
LOL

Maybe some places, but not DFAS.

I don't think I've posted this before so if I have, sorry.

A position came open at DFAS Indy that was a security position. The two main requirements were that you had to be computer literate, and you had to be able to obtain a SECRET clearance. The position was processing clearances.

I have 1 BS, and at the time I was about 18 credit hours from my second. My second BS is in IT, with my specialty being network and information security. I am also a disabled veteran so I get the 10 point preference.

At the time I also worked as a security guard for the building. I also HAVE a clearance.

So, you can imagine my surprise when I got a letter in the mail saying I was not qualified. So, me being me, I called them up and asked why? Not right, but on all of the letters it states if you think a mistake has been made to contact this number...

According to the person, they do not need someone whose only knowledge of security is physical security. They needed someone who had knowledge on information security.

Let's see, my second degree IS information security. I got no answer from her on that one.

I'm a military school trained OPSEC officer. According to her, OPSEC is nothing but physical security????

I'm also a certified USAEUR network admin and am an IA level III. Her answer, well, you have to know how to enter data into a database. It appears she did not even read my resume since I've had several classes BUILDING databases, and SECURING them. Obviously, doing that is nowhere as difficult and inputting data.

I could go on, but I think you get the point.

To me, I still don't know if it was because she saw that I was still in the Guard, or that in her mind a security guard was too stupid to even think of college. Either way, it ended the same of me not having a government job.

BTW, wish me luck. I'm applying for another government job

Oh, and before coming to Iraq I did apply for a position with ICE, but it was a VERY narrow position that I applied for. I took the test and with my 10 points added in, I scored 110% on the test Once I get back home i think I might apply for more ICE positions since I already have the highest score you can get.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:02 AM

2,653 posts, read 4,598,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
According to the person, they do not need someone whose only knowledge of security is physical security. They needed someone who had knowledge on information security.

Let's see, my second degree IS information security. I got no answer from her on that one.

I'm a military school trained OPSEC officer. According to her, OPSEC is nothing but physical security????

I'm also a certified USAEUR network admin and am an IA level III. Her answer, well, you have to know how to enter data into a database. It appears she did not even read my resume since I've had several classes BUILDING databases, and SECURING them. Obviously, doing that is nowhere as difficult and inputting data.

I could go on, but I think you get the point.
Zig -
Sorry for your experience, I do some volunteer career counselling at a church & one of the things I tell people is most HR people often have no clue about the jobs they are recruitting, screening & hiring for. Especailly in IT. If the job spec they are hiring off of has a requirement for basic addition and you have a PHD in Theoretical Mathmatics they will not understand you meet their spec unless you say you can add.

As for being a Vet, my experience was most places will give you points for military service. In the corporate white collar world I've worked in fellow vets are few & far between. I've had a couple senior folks tell me they thought more of me because of my Desert Storm service and I'm pretty sure it has helped my career. Just today I was networking with a headhunter and seeing the Army on my resume they made a "Thank you for serving" comment.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:39 AM

893 posts, read 387,321 times
My son had gotten out of the military after ten years to try and be on the outside. They lived with us six months and he worked for Cintas the company the military pushes for them to work at. It was a joke. He soon needed to re enlist to survive. It didn't work for him, so now he has 8 more years till he retires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues