U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:43 AM

664 posts, read 2,569,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I've been thinking about this topic a bit and have a few other thoughts:

- if you're having a hard time getting a job, there are probably other reasons than your military service. The economy is miserable, people are losing jobs at an alarming rate, many have advanced degrees and experience that's germane to the position;
- have your resume reviewed by a service that specializes in resume writing, make sure there are no misspellings (I would automatically dismiss the resume);
- keep applying. A long time ago, returned to my home city and was looking for a job. I was depressed from the lack of response to my job search efforts. A friend gave me the best advice I've ever had: take some action and send out another. I kept doing that and landed a nice job (eventually).
- don't take it personally. The market is really horrible.
- if your finances are a serious issue, take any job you can. It's easier to get a job when you have a job.

Honestly to me, this post really is where I am for the most part. I was getting nowhere with my Associates, and was only a few classes from my second BS. Someone told me about the VA voc rehab and I applied and got accepted. More or less, I was on the right track and just needed a little more funding for school.

It seems like now everyone has a degree in computers, so I decided to try to set myself apart and specialize. Not sure if it's going to help or not, but we will see. In addition to that, I am also picking up a minor in business.

All that being said, I am now only 13 credit hours away from getting my BS, but due to needing specific classes to get my specialization, once I get back home it will take me probably 3 semesters to finish.

And, all of this is assuming that I decide not to go ahead and change tracks with the Voc Rehab and go for the business ownership track instead.

But the best advice you gave: don't get discouraged and don't give up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 12:33 PM

443 posts, read 1,902,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
Honestly to me, this post really is where I am for the most part. I was getting nowhere with my Associates, and was only a few classes from my second BS. Someone told me about the VA voc rehab and I applied and got accepted. More or less, I was on the right track and just needed a little more funding for school.

It seems like now everyone has a degree in computers, so I decided to try to set myself apart and specialize. Not sure if it's going to help or not, but we will see. In addition to that, I am also picking up a minor in business.

All that being said, I am now only 13 credit hours away from getting my BS, but due to needing specific classes to get my specialization, once I get back home it will take me probably 3 semesters to finish.

And, all of this is assuming that I decide not to go ahead and change tracks with the Voc Rehab and go for the business ownership track instead.

But the best advice you gave: don't get discouraged and don't give up.

Zig's Bird,

Good for you, you are almost there! I think it's REALLY hard when military memebers get out and have no formal education. I understand military gives one experience but in this day and age you need a degree to even get your foot in the door.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:08 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,857,157 times
I enjoyed my Air Force specialty (aircraft maintenance) but didn't like what I saw out in the civilian world of aircraft maintenance. I'd always wanted to drive a truck, anyway. So, as others above have already said, I made some solid preparations; I researched carriers. Talked to drivers from many different carriers (networking, of sorts...) Found out as much as I could about the industry as a whole (there are SO many ways to earn a good living behind the wheel...) And now I have a good career with a large truckload carrier and a record that will ensure I always have employment possibilites.

Best of luck, Zig's Bird!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:18 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,465,175 times
If I were starting out these days I would consider teaching high school math or science. Another consideration would be to go to work for a railroad.

There is a developing shortage of skilled, trained workers as we Vietnam era folks retire.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:37 AM

68 posts, read 259,023 times
Stay strong and keep on moving along. I've had a tough time since getting out too, and by all means should have given up on life already.

It's tough. You go from having that self concept of being the tip of the spear, America's 9-11 force to average Joe Schmoe filling out an application for employment.

Keep focused - knocking out each obstacle as it presents itself.

If there's one thing the military taught all of us, it's to persevere and keep on moving when the mind says to stop. Mind over matter.

Get it Gents.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:22 AM

48,519 posts, read 80,869,241 times
It has always been the case even when I was in the military that going from a life that controls most things to one that you are on your own ;takes getting use to. I know alot of retirees that have told me ;I am use to Uncle Sam making my decisions and use to the military where we have four people to do what a company wants one to do.Those that got out earlier seem to have a much easier transition of it.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:08 PM

9 posts, read 10,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I'm former Navy/ex-Viet Nam era (late 60's into 70's) and I use to put my military skills on my resume', until I was told not to, due to age discrimination. However, even though I don't have my Navy schooling/experience on my resume', I sometimes do bring it up in an interview. Quite a bit has changed in "Stores/Supply" in the Navy since I was in.......no computers back then! We had electric typewriters that a lot of things (P.O.'s/Requisitions) were done on, but still used the old 3x5 index cards for Inventory. Today, b/c of what some people in companies think of the Military, I'm darn glad that I don't include it on my resume'. I've had hard times finding a job, but I think it was due to more people having Degrees and Certifications.
But, what I'm wondering about is the folks who are recently discharged or in the last 10 years have been discharged. Have you found it hard getting jobs? Shoot, I remember back in the 80's when the Unemployment Office would send ex-military had Priority on going on job interviews over other people. I know I got a job that way. I also remember seeing signs that said "Hire A Vet".
So, just how hard is it out there to find a job if you are a Vet??? I know that at my age now (59), I sure can't reveal that I'm a ex-military on my resume!

My Uncle was in the Marine Corps for 22 years, retired as a 1st Sgt and had quite a few good MOSs but all he could get was a janitor at a school. He recently moved to California and might be working grave-yard shift at Disney Land in the warehouses.. but thats not even for sure.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:37 AM

470 posts, read 1,029,037 times
I tell everyone who questions me about joining the army (veteran) and I tell them to get an MOS that could translate to a civilian career (mechanic, computers, legal, administrative speaciality, etc...).

Even though I was only in the National Guard for 8 years and do have a bachelors I wish I would have picked something to do in the office (supply, admin, etc..) that way I could beef up my resume more since I am just a recent college grad. Instead I was dumb and didn't think ahead , so I chose chem operations . When I got deployed I was truck drive too and it's not a proffesion I want to go in lol.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:12 PM

756 posts, read 1,943,246 times
In any field job Hunting depends on your MOS, education and experience. My husband, a senior officer, retired after more than 20 years. He worked his way up the military ladder with his final tour being a command tour. He had his pick of 3 excellent job offers. Corporate America was very impressed by his military experience. He decided to retire from the military while he was still young enough to start a civilian career. Timing is also very important and this economy is very hard for anyone to be looking for a job now. We were just lucky with our timing!

Old 11-24-2008, 01:10 PM

4 posts, read 11,405 times
Well, I have applied for jobs at two well known home and building supply stores in my area plus an application at a new dept. store. I got a reply back from the dept. store, thanking me for applying. My 30 plus years of military aircraft knowledge doesn't seem to be helping me find a job. I think I should have been an admin. person. Still looking for a job....but at age 59 I don't think I am wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues