U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:21 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,528,959 times

Advertisements

Not at all. With preferred veteran status getting jobs has been easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 04:22 AM

3,774 posts, read 9,830,032 times
I have found that the military career I had has been most beneficial in landing my jobs. I have yet to find an employer who did not prefer vets to non-vets. Their self-discipline is renowned and they know how to get a job done.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:03 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,041,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
I have found that the military career I had has been most beneficial in landing my jobs. I have yet to find an employer who did not prefer vets to non-vets. Their self-discipline is renowned and they know how to get a job done.
Although this is generally true, two retired vets (both E-8's) were fired from my company for bad performance. I'm the longest retired vet (I'm was also an E-8) at my job for 10 years now. You have to "maintain" that same work discipline to survive.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:07 PM

43 posts, read 142,481 times
I don't know that I expect to get a job over a civilian who has never served, but after 14 years in the military, I think I deserve preference over some young 20 something that only has a college degree and no life experience!

I am one class shy of my AS in Bus. Admin and 9 years military service as both an A/C & R tech with a school in Cryogenics and then another 4 years as an Administrative Assistant at a supervisory level. For the last 4 years I have been a stay at home mom.

So I have a triple edge sword if you will... most ads I see want a Bachelor's to answer phones, I don't have that... My time/experience doesn't seem to mean didly-squat, and the fact that I haven't had a paid position in the last 4 years means I am really out of the loop!

I guess it's really frustrating to me because I got out and my husband stayed in since we didn't want to run the risk of both being deployed at the same time (which IS possible!) and I would be in a supervisory position right now earning about 40K/year which would be great for our family! I LOVE being home with my kids, but with the economy the way it is, I'm afraid that things will go bad if I don't go back to work. I mean, we are making it, without any extras and trying to get rid of some of the extras we acquired (know anyone who wants to buy an RV/Travel trailer in Florida???), it's just hard with 2 little ones and a teenager and knowing we can't afford much for Christmas or summer vacations, or school shopping.... get the idea?

Old 12-10-2008, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 11,311 times
As was mentioned in earlier posts about military experience, I believe that when I put my military experience down on my resume it hurts instead of helps me. I think I would be better off if I did not know anything. I went for a job interview that was for driving a forklift, when I got there it was a staffing agency. I filled out a questionaire and then found out that the job had been filled. I sent them another resume and to this date have not heard anything from them. I know the economy is the worst that I have seen in many years. I am hoping that after the New Year and things settle down I might receive a call.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:09 PM

43 posts, read 142,481 times
anyone having any luck??

Old 03-10-2009, 09:08 AM

261 posts, read 851,701 times
I've been on multple interviews since Nov 2008 and still no call backs. I have started leaving off my military experience, hoping that might help me as well. So frustrating. I mention again, as I did before, If people are so proud of our military service, why aren't we being hired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues