U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:48 AM

6,977 posts, read 15,868,421 times

Advertisements

I'm former Navy/ex-Viet Nam era (late 60's into 70's) and I use to put my military skills on my resume', until I was told not to, due to age discrimination. However, even though I don't have my Navy schooling/experience on my resume', I sometimes do bring it up in an interview. Quite a bit has changed in "Stores/Supply" in the Navy since I was in.......no computers back then! We had electric typewriters that a lot of things (P.O.'s/Requisitions) were done on, but still used the old 3x5 index cards for Inventory. Today, b/c of what some people in companies think of the Military, I'm darn glad that I don't include it on my resume'. I've had hard times finding a job, but I think it was due to more people having Degrees and Certifications.
But, what I'm wondering about is the folks who are recently discharged or in the last 10 years have been discharged. Have you found it hard getting jobs? Shoot, I remember back in the 80's when the Unemployment Office would send ex-military had Priority on going on job interviews over other people. I know I got a job that way. I also remember seeing signs that said "Hire A Vet".
So, just how hard is it out there to find a job if you are a Vet??? I know that at my age now (59), I sure can't reveal that I'm a ex-military on my resume!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 09:10 AM

9,209 posts, read 17,877,043 times
LB, if you are ever discriminated against specifically because you are a vet, this is illegal discrimination, so contact the EEOC immediately after it happens.

I've already posted my thoughts on age discrimination as a bogus excuse for not hiring people elsewhere. But as a hiring manager who has a huge respect for the military, I consider military experience a plus.

Leaving out the actual work skills you learned in the Navy, consider all of the higher level skills you acquired in the areas of leadership, respect, discipline, (not to mention honor, courage, commitment). Those are skills that don't get outdated and don't go away.

If I were you (yes, I know it's impossible to put oneself in another's place, but anyway...) I would include the Navy experience at the end of the resume, or in the cover letter, and highlight the life-long skills you acquired there that are translatable to today's workplace. And if someone dicriminates based on this, they are breaking the law.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:57 AM

658 posts, read 606,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I know that at my age now (59), I sure can't reveal that I'm a ex-military on my resume!
First, thank you for your service.

Next, discrimination abounds among HR staff and head-hunters, but not only toward vets. Age discrimination increases axiomatically as the population ages. There is a recent thread about age discrimination. The HR discrimination will vary according to the demographics of the HR staff. It is unavoidable.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:35 AM

9,209 posts, read 17,877,043 times
I need to correct my post above. The EEOC doesn't investigate claims of discrimination based on veteran status.

See the US DOL for more info on how to proceed. Here's a link:
elaws - USERRA Advisor (http://www.dol.gov/elaws/userra.htm - broken link)

Old 07-12-2008, 09:36 AM

With all due respect, many companies out there KNOW they are doing illegal/discrimination things, but all they say is, "prove it!" So, how do you prove it?????? If a company does not call you back from an "in person" interview, does that mean they don't like your age or that you were in the military? Or was it something else.....like not enough experience or education, etc. How can a person ever find these things out? A recorder can't be used during an interview! I am 59 years old and many companies out there do not/will not hire me due to my age, just a common FACT. Everyone keeps talking about how companies do illegal/discriminating things during interviewing, but unless there is a "voice" recording of the interview, how can a person prove it????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
LB, if you are ever discriminated against specifically because you are a vet, this is illegal discrimination, so contact the EEOC immediately after it happens.

I've already posted my thoughts on age discrimination as a bogus excuse for not hiring people elsewhere. But as a hiring manager who has a huge respect for the military, I consider military experience a plus.

Leaving out the actual work skills you learned in the Navy, consider all of the higher level skills you acquired in the areas of leadership, respect, discipline, (not to mention honor, courage, commitment). Those are skills that don't get outdated and don't go away.

If I were you (yes, I know it's impossible to put oneself in another's place, but anyway...) I would include the Navy experience at the end of the resume, or in the cover letter, and highlight the life-long skills you acquired there that are translatable to today's workplace. And if someone dicriminates based on this, they are breaking the law.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:59 AM

48,521 posts, read 80,433,733 times
I thnik that much of it depends on the area of the country and it maybe more HR based than comapny many times.I also think the more liberal and anti-military parts of the country have more of this. In the area I live ;I had no problems and thnk it actually helped me.Buit then you saw these same people opening discriminate after vietnam and people don't change their basic personailty really.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:59 PM

763 posts, read 1,996,832 times
Where I live, being ex-military is a big positive on a resume.

But I could see where it would be a no-no in Berkeley.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:32 AM

What about this: You are ex-military during Viet Nam, which would make you around, if not my same age (59). You put your military experience on your resume', but what do you write down for "years". A lot of companies/HR do not want to see the numbers "4" or "8" years on a resume', they want to see actual years "19....or 200...". If I wrote down that I enlisted in 1968, just how far would that get me if a young HR person looked at that......resume' in the "can" most likely. Age discrimination, YES, but AGAIN, how do you prove it???????

Old 07-13-2008, 05:55 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,787,361 times
Love boating, I feel your frustration. I pretty much "cheated the sysytem" when I retired from the USAF. The trucking industry doesn't really care what you did before, so it was easy to just fill out the postcard application and I was pre-hired that easy. Now, having said that, I still seee that some people in the civilian world (especially those that have never served) have preconceived notions about what military people are like (infexible, can't think without being given directions, etc.) And you'll always run into those people. But, as others have pointed out above, many HR people DO value military experience. I'd say the best way to get a job is start networking with your friends and meet people already in your field of interest. There's a job out there somewhere for you, don't give up!

Old 07-13-2008, 11:00 AM

763 posts, read 1,996,832 times
Wouldn't you prefer to work for someone who values your experience instead of forcing yourself on someone who doesn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues