Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:55 PM

260 posts, read 943,106 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting out the Navy after 8 yrs of service and we have been looking for a job for him for the past 4 months. The thing is that he has had a few interviews, but so far, no one has say "yes" or "no" for that matter. He is going on terminal leave next month and we still don't have a job lined up for him. He has used a couple recruiting firms and been to a couple hiring conferences, and from these, he is waiting to schedule 2nd interviews.
Any ideas on how these head hunters/recruiters work?

My husband has a B.S. in Technical Management and an A.S. in Applied Science. He was an IC2 in the Navy, which is like an electronics technician. Any help would help...thanks all..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 01:11 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,932,187 times
If your husband is in the Navy and has made it clear to his chain of command that he is separating.. they should have sent him to TAP (Transition Assistance Program) class. There they give you information on resume preparation, websites for veterans, how do conduct interviews, etc. That is going to be his best bet for success in getting out.

It's all I needed when I retired, and all I had was an Associates.... that was less than 5 years ago.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:35 PM

260 posts, read 943,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
If your husband is in the Navy and has made it clear to his chain of command that he is separating.. they should have sent him to TAP (Transition Assistance Program) class. There they give you information on resume preparation, websites for veterans, how do conduct interviews, etc. That is going to be his best bet for success in getting out.

It's all I needed when I retired, and all I had was an Associates.... that was less than 5 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, he went to TAP class. However, because we are looking to move to a different area (anywhere that he will get a job except VA- we don't like it here), the companies that TAP brought in weren't the best fit. Also, yes, he has used the techniques etc. they thought him, but TAP is not necessarily job placement. He has had a few contacts with government agencies, but nobody seems to commit to saying "yes, you are hired". We are still waiting on whether or not they want him. Its just getting extremely frustrating...and the clock keeps ticking.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:58 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,481,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamyers View Post
My husband is getting out the Navy after 8 yrs of service and we have been looking for a job for him for the past 4 months. The thing is that he has had a few interviews, but so far, no one has say "yes" or "no" for that matter. He is going on terminal leave next month and we still don't have a job lined up for him. He has used a couple recruiting firms and been to a couple hiring conferences, and from these, he is waiting to schedule 2nd interviews.
Any ideas on how these head hunters/recruiters work?

My husband has a B.S. in Technical Management and an A.S. in Applied Science. He was an IC2 in the Navy, which is like an electronics technician. Any help would help...thanks all..
My husband separated in '07 from the Army & has a B.S.

Did the whole recruiting firm thing & got placed with a company in SWFL. The whole process went sort of quick but it had to b/c he redeployed end of Dec 06 & his commitment date ended 01APR07. His terminal leave started end of Feb but thankfully it's paid!

He actually used a smaller size recruiting firm b/c he was very unhappy with the "cattle herd" , as he called it, with the larger firms.

It takes time & it takes a lot of work on your dh's part if he is going through a large firm.

We were in a time crunch & actually took the first job that offered what we needed at the time. It did not turn out so well...let's just location does play a big part no matter what the recruiters say!

That being said, he was able to get some time in with the civilian firm & later apply with a much stabler & professional company.

After your husband went to the conferences, he should have met up with the recruiter who would tell him who was interested in 2nd interviews. After that, it is up to the recruiters to stay in contact with your dh to organize those 2nd interviews (which are to be paid by the company, not you!!) or if the company directly contacts your dh, he needs to contact the recruiter to let him know status of 2nd interview.

Dependent on the company, your dh may need to go back for a 3rd interview or there may be a line of candidates interviewing over several weeks.

The companies then have to go back through there HR & do all the stuff on their end. Some are quick & others are slow. Just depends on demand, need, etc etc...

My dh interviewed with a company where the hiring process was 6-8 months We just couldn't afford that time.

It's tough with most these firms & not to frustrate you, but we've yet to meet someone who was happy with their experience. Most of the guys who separated when my husband did either are looking for 2nd jobs b/c the one they were placed with the recruiting firm was not a right fit or are doing the job hunt on their own. Those looking for federal jobs are having the toughest time. All are degreed & most are West Pointers, so it's interesting...

Best of luck. My biggest advice is patience & just budget tightly while he is on leave. He'll find something, it just may take some time.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:01 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,932,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamyers View Post
However, because we are looking to move to a different area (anywhere that he will get a job except VA- we don't like it here), the companies that TAP brought in weren't the best fit.
I went to TAP in Italy and retired here in Texas... so I was in a different area, too. Time, effort, and patience.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:39 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,594,425 times
We were in UK but retiring in the US, Husband applied for loads of jobs - alone and finally got one. Now works for the VA

Old 07-16-2008, 06:40 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,676,523 times
I went into college after I got out but my buddy who already had a degree used a recruitment/placement firm that specialized in ex-military and got a good job in IT.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:36 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,627,396 times
I went through a local Temp Agency. This was to get my foot in the door. After I was in they saw what talents I had and hired me after 5 months. This was 10 years ago. I believe it helps to retire in a large city where there is a military presence as many employers appreciate the military discipline and knowledge. I retired in San Antonio, Texas and this is definitely true here.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:18 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,597,980 times
I was at the Naval Base in Corpus Christi, TX when I got out. My sister came to live with me so was nice. Just stayed there for a year, worked through a temp agency to save for college. Also had GI bill at the tiime. Then went to college after a year working and on my own.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,522 times
In the course of my work as an executive recruiter, I’ve helped many military men and woman transition into civilian life. I just finished an article that’s being posted on many websites in hopes that corporate America recognizes the great value in hiring ex-military people. There is also a message to our military people – I’m posting it here in hopes that it may help encourage those of you making this transition:

Most men and women coming out of today’s military are trained in a vast variety of skills from aviation to administration, vehicle maintenance to legal services. While many of their peers were away at college, these individuals were risking life and limb in a violent war zone; talk about growing up fast.

On top of this, these soldiers, sailors and Marines have a firm sense of order, responsibility and purpose. Fighting arm to arm with your countrymen gives these individuals an uncommon understanding of teamwork, handling adversity, training, taking orders, responsibility, courtesy, respect and, of course, a deep understanding the chain of command are just a few of the many outstanding qualities I’ve found in the men and women who have worn out country’s uniform.

Now, those of you that have served and are returning to civilian life, you need to understand that just serving isn’t going to be enough to grant you a place in the civilian workplace. You will be competing with people who have spent the last 4 years studying and earning a degree. You’ll have to learn to present your strengths, to explain to the person you’re interviewing with, who you are and why you’re the right person for the job.

It’s time to look beyond the job descriptions and degrees and to actually look at the quality of the individual applying for the job.

The workplace is changing, and the better we understand what corporate America requires to succeed, the better prepared we’ll be to position ourselves for success.

To learn more about how to position yourself for success, or if you have any questions or comments you can reach me at Mod cut website; no advertising. I will get back to you.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 08-15-2008 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: Sorry no advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues