U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:22 AM

5,277 posts, read 9,885,139 times

Advertisements

When I was stationed on Guam I had a roommate who was stationed at Keflavic. She really loved it...ranted and raved about it. The rest of us were really scared to get stationed there for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:43 PM

5,702 posts, read 20,933,413 times
Here is the link to the blue lagoon...Blue Lagoon Iceland geothermal destination spa, massage, skin care, psoriasis treatment

Old 07-26-2008, 09:10 PM

3,423 posts, read 8,730,812 times
Lived there March 99-August 02. Loved it. My husband was in the 56RQS.

Lets see, we lived in Bldg 1111-2. Down the hill from the commissary and the club. Had a bay view. Rode that base bus all over the base. Not really sure what there is on the base that is interesting within walking distance.

I was so sad to hear they closed it down and am really sad to hear they are converting it. In my heart I was hoping they would reconsider and offer NATO another contract some day. I sometimes have dreams we are back there and they are reopening the base and that most of the housing is empty save for the first wave of people assigned there. I bet you are experiencing that first hand in a different way.

If you can get off base, grab a coffee and a bowl of soup at Kaffe Duus in Kef. There are lighthouses to see, black sand beaches to walk on, and, of course, the blue lagoon (Blaa Lonid) to wade in.

Sigh, I miss that place. Call me crazy I guess.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:50 PM

5,702 posts, read 20,933,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Lived there March 99-August 02. Loved it. My husband was in the 56RQS.

Lets see, we lived in Bldg 1111-2. Down the hill from the commissary and the club. Had a bay view. Rode that base bus all over the base. Not really sure what there is on the base that is interesting within walking distance.

I was so sad to hear they closed it down and am really sad to hear they are converting it. In my heart I was hoping they would reconsider and offer NATO another contract some day. I sometimes have dreams we are back there and they are reopening the base and that most of the housing is empty save for the first wave of people assigned there. I bet you are experiencing that first hand in a different way.

If you can get off base, grab a coffee and a bowl of soup at Kaffe Duus in Kef. There are lighthouses to see, black sand beaches to walk on, and, of course, the blue lagoon (Blaa Lonid) to wade in.

Sigh, I miss that place. Call me crazy I guess.
Info about the 56RQS...
56th Rescue Squadron [56th RQS]

Old 08-18-2008, 05:35 PM

Hey thanks for dredging that up. My oldest was wearing his 56RQS tshirt the other day and we told him to be careful, you can't get those anymore!

Old 09-11-2008, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Was just wondering if anyone was stationed here in the past?

The US pulled out of Iceland about 2 years ago and Iceland is in the process of converting some of the buildings for use. I'm in a student group spending the week in one of the buildings which are set up sort of like suites.

It's sort of eerie here because many areas are like they were when the base was occupied. There are still US military bus schedules in the bus stops (one is still in use for the public bus to Reykjavik) and even in our "dorm", there are military names on the message boards.

I was just wondering if anyone was stationed here and if they could talk about what it was like when it was actually in use. Right now, it's all but completely abandoned and the fence is still up so we can't even really do much exploring without hiking all the way out of the base. Is there anything interesting to see on the base that would be accessible just by walking around?
I was stationed with my family at Kef from December 2005, to June 2006. I was there for a 2 year assignment, but ended up only staying 6 months because of the closure. Even in the short amount of time my wife and I loved it. We were pretty bummed about having to leave such a choice assignment.

The base was like any overseas base. Being overseas there is a lot more focus on group activites, which is not the norm state side. There were a lot of trips to go on, and a lot of activities on base to be part of. The best part was everyone did what they could to make the assignment fun, thats what I remember most about it.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,406 times
Default kat

God, I feel so old! My father was stationed at Keflavik in 1968-69. I was 10 years old at the time and cannot imagine a better place to have grown up - we lived in Vogar just down the road from Keflavik - one of two American families in the town. My brothers and I had more fun there with the kids our age, exploring all over the place! It's too bad they closed the base, it truly was one of the funnest places I have ever lived.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:19 PM

I have been hoping with their economy in the toilet they might see the worth in reopening the NATO base. I have even had a dream about being one of the first families to move back to the base. I really did like it there.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:29 AM

40,476 posts, read 44,322,080 times
My wife and I visited as tourists a long time ago. The most memorable incident was looking down into the geyser named Stoker just before it blew. Imagine treating tourist as adults. The Tingvaller was awesome. As a geologist standing on the fault of the Mid Atlantic Ridge and walking from the North American plate to the European Plate was just way cool.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:15 PM

We were at the geysers one day and you know the little ropes they have around the boiling hot mud? Some tourist stuck his hand over the rope and put his finger in the mud. Duh.

But I bet he never does that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues