U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-14-2008, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
1,744 posts, read 6,485,627 times
Reputation: 1206

Advertisements

The only places the military has sent me was Iraq and Kuwait.


Verdict: Iraq. Kuwait is too hot and too sandy. There was actually vegetation and water in Iraq. I expected Kuwait to at least look nice because it's wealthy, but I didn't see anything that impressed me and it was covered in trash (although not as bad as Iraq).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2008, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Prescott Valley,az summer/east valley Az winter
2,034 posts, read 3,529,726 times
Reputation: 7855
best was probably Japan~ close second had to be philippines~ which was good enough for me to reenlist for orders to there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2008, 11:43 PM
 
3,774 posts, read 9,896,253 times
Reputation: 1834
Lived in PI for about 8 years. Obviously loved it. Liked Korea, Japan and Hong Kong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC
425 posts, read 588,208 times
Reputation: 144
Munich (favorite place I lived)

Salzburg, Austria (favorite city of all time)

New Mexico (favorite station)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Western Bexar County
3,823 posts, read 13,134,961 times
Reputation: 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
The only places the military has sent me was Iraq and Kuwait.


Verdict: Iraq. Kuwait is too hot and too sandy. There was actually vegetation and water in Iraq. I expected Kuwait to at least look nice because it's wealthy, but I didn't see anything that impressed me and it was covered in trash (although not as bad as Iraq).
Saudi Arabia ain't real pretty either...though Riyadh was interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
1,744 posts, read 6,485,627 times
Reputation: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Saudi Arabia ain't real pretty either...though Riyadh was interesting.

One of the most depressing moments of my life was falling asleep on a plane over the Czech Republic and waking up over Saudi Arabia and opening up the window shade to see nothing but blazing hot desert sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2008, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, Va (unfortunately)
111 posts, read 320,122 times
Reputation: 87
Do I have to pick one? I've been to so many. Before I joined the Navy, I went to Germany, France, Switzerland, and Monaco. Last deployment (my first one ever), we went to Spain (x2), Italy(x3), Tunisia, Crete (x4), Morocco, Algeria, France (x2), Greece, Malta, Israel, Ukraine (x2), Bulgaria (x2), Georgia, and Turkey (x2). Not necessarily in that order. We were underway again in April-May and went to Scotland (x2), Denmark, and Halifax. If I had to pick a favorite...that's a tough one. I can't pick all of them, so I'll just go with the top 5 I liked the most.
Germany
Malta
Crete
Black sea area countries
Denmark
Too hard to pick just one. And best of all, next deployment is supposed to be like last deployment!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 12:20 PM
 
Location: GA/AL state line
254 posts, read 1,052,250 times
Reputation: 152
The best place I've been stationed at is Heidelberg, Germany - plenty of beer/wine fests, Castle events, and lots of university women partying all night in the clubs and bars - I spent over five years there and loved every second. Seoul Korea is my next favorite - it's a very cool city. The worst place was in the Jordan desert in the middle of nowhere and running out of food for the last three days. Camp Victory and the Green Zone in Baghdad were cool places back in the summer of 2003, but I've heard there's new rules to keep troops from getting out of control. I've passed through Rota, Spain a few times and it was nice, but I'd much rather be near Barcelona or Valencia in the east. Berlin also seems like it's coming back as a cool city. I'd like to explore Tokyo again someday and Manila is very cool but I'd probably get myself stabbed if I go there now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2008, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry NC/Randolph NJ/Cape Coral FL
12,926 posts, read 24,052,828 times
Reputation: 10739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navych1ck View Post
Do I have to pick one? I've been to so many. Before I joined the Navy, I went to Germany, France, Switzerland, and Monaco. Last deployment (my first one ever), we went to Spain (x2), Italy(x3), Tunisia, Crete (x4), Morocco, Algeria, France (x2), Greece, Malta, Israel, Ukraine (x2), Bulgaria (x2), Georgia, and Turkey (x2). Not necessarily in that order. We were underway again in April-May and went to Scotland (x2), Denmark, and Halifax. If I had to pick a favorite...that's a tough one. I can't pick all of them, so I'll just go with the top 5 I liked the most.
Germany
Malta
Crete
Black sea area countries
Denmark
Too hard to pick just one. And best of all, next deployment is supposed to be like last deployment!!
That was my husband's favorite when he was in the Navy
We hope to get there together one day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 04:04 PM
 
116 posts, read 277,750 times
Reputation: 82
My husband and I haven't been, or ever hope to be, stationed overseas, but as a kid, I really loved traveling in Europe. I couldn't even begin to pick a favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top