Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 04:18 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navych1ck View Post
You've learned to sleep anyplace, anytime, and in any position.
So true. This will carry over for many years, way into your civilian life. My friends and family always ask me, "How do you sleep like that?" Or "How did you sleep during that?" My response is always, "I was in the military." When I go camping with my friends, and I mean really camping/roughing it, I'm the only able to ever get a good nights rest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 02:28 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
Much like the other thread about funny sayings, let's also share funny incidents or just SOP that you would only find in the military.

I have two

Last time I was deployed, we would occasionally have some mandatory classes that we would have to attend. This one time, it was 2 different classes back to back. The first class was over OPSEC - Operational Security. The class basics was on how to give pointers to the enemy and keeping information to yourself. The instructor decided since this class is the same thing we get all of the time, he would spice it up and make it more real for the soldiers.

So, what did he do? He gave an hour class on how to properly cheat on your spouse. He went into great detail about how to hide your trail. Right afterwards, he then said, now replace your spouse with the enemy and now you can understand how OPSEC works. You have to protect every little action so you don't tip off your enemy.

Thus ended the first class.

Second class - Army Ethics
One great one...only happens in the military.

I was recalled from leave to report to TPU Little Creek. Spent three weeks there, awaiting orders to my next ship. Flew from Norfolk, to New York, to Rome, to Catania (Sicily), drove--was driven--to Sigonella, to get on another plane to Rota Spain. Waited three days in Rota for my ship to get in. It got in, pulled out the next day. It had to turn around and go back to Rota because of a storm...but it was headed RIGHT back to the States.

Why couldn't I have just waited for it to come back in the first place?

Old 12-17-2008, 10:56 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,920,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esfp View Post
when approaching a group of mexican fishing boats grouped together, my co ask if i knew spanish. I said "no", but i'd see if they looked like they needed our help. We went to the bow, he leaned over with a megaphone and ask, "do you-o need-o any assistance-o?" i told him if he did that again i'd throw him over the side.
lmao

Old 12-17-2008, 11:11 AM

A friend of mine was stationed at Osan AB, Korea last year. He told me there were brand new airmen straight out of tech school under their wing. Guys being guys, they went ahead gave em their "initiation rites" i.e. practical jokes. They told one newbie that if he um, spanks the monkey while wearing gas mask, it makes the um, "finish" 100x more intense. So one day his roomate walks in on newbie butt naked with a gask mask on his head and you guessed it..

Same newbie got a prank phone call from a "Captain" telling him to immediately report to Bldg. 1234 ( Security Forces bldg.) in his MOPP 4 gear. He was gonna go for it till his supervisor told him he's an idiot and to go back to work.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:58 AM

470 posts, read 1,841,147 times
yeah, i miss my time in the air force. usually the newbies in the kitchen (yup, i was a grill b**ch and damn proud of it, too) were usually told to go to the storeroom and request "a can of steam" or "get 10 pounds of grade A tube steak". and it never failed, they would always go ask for those items.

it's amazing there were no EEO complaints especially for the "steak".

Old 12-17-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechappells View Post
yeah, i miss my time in the air force. usually the newbies in the kitchen (yup, i was a grill b**ch and damn proud of it, too) were usually told to go to the storeroom and request "a can of steam" or "get 10 pounds of grade A tube steak". and it never failed, they would always go ask for those items.

it's amazing there were no EEO complaints especially for the "steak".
Heh....10 lbs....

Old 12-17-2008, 01:10 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
My story was while in Korea on the front lines. I was in the 105 Howitzer A Battery.
Three Infantry companys rotated time up front with one always in reserve for rest etc.
Anyway, one company came down with 2/3 of the men with the c**** while on the front lines.
Seems the water truck guys picked up two young girls...cut their hair real short and passed them off as house boys (we were assigned these boys by the Korean Govmt). I was in the ammo section and we had a 15 yr old boy in our bunker that washed our clothes and other chores that we may need. He spoke Korean of course,Japanese, Chinese and a good amount of English. In addition he was a enterpreter when some civilians passed by our positions area to see if they were infiltraters of the North Koreans.
Steve
So you see what eventually happened on the hill above us was no big surprise.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:27 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
guess I could add a story~

Remember when I was checking out a radio and hearing the following conversation~ " VP (squadron and plane designator) coming in with two turning and two burning! We request a staight in approach.

You are cleared for immediate landing on runway (designated!)

Thank you

then heard crash trucks and fire sirens followed by the P-2V landing~~ this it's tswo turboprop engines turning and it's two jet engines burning~ as it always was on a normal landing~

The air force just wasn't aware of its aircraft configurations!

think pilot was chewed a little after the fact!

Old 12-17-2008, 02:31 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
And when some of our squadron members got into a little trouble for wearing T-shirts offbase in Japan

that read " Made in USA" and a pic of a bomb on the front and

A pic of a blast and "tested in Japan " on the back

Wasn't well recieved!!

Old 12-24-2008, 12:26 PM

111 posts, read 353,608 times
The other day I was talking to someone from another ship, and he was telling me about a young, fresh out of college, eager to learn ensign onboard who, unfortunately for himself, wasn't too bright. They spent the day sending him around the ship getting things...first, an air sample from the bridge, then 50Ft of centerline, to admin to fill out form one-delta-ten-tango, a jar of elbow grease... I guess he never caught on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues