U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 PM

167 posts, read 403,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsret View Post
crunchtime,

Hope you visited, read/researched the VBN, the site that verynicebecky provided for you. Further, hope you are now a regular member there as they can certainly help you. Go to their PTSD thread and lay it out.

What service were you in? If you have a CAR or CIB there isn't anything you will need to prove your PTSD. Just remember when you go there don't hold back and to embellish it either. Straight talk will/should get you the help you need and hopefully the percentage you deserve.

jOE
I will check VBN out. Thanks for reminding me. I was awarded the Combat Medic badge (CMB) while serving in the Army so that should make it easier for me based on what you said. There's hope yet. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 11:42 PM

167 posts, read 403,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
Hey Crunchtime, get yourself a represenative from the DAV or other military vet group before you file to the VA. They really helped me. Even though I am rated 70% I/U (Indivdual Unemployablity) I have been denied SSDI several times. Best of luck to you!
Did you get an attorney? Don't give up on SSDI. It took me four long years to get it and having a lawyer really helped me with all the paperwork and knowhow. Thanks for the advise.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 PM

689 posts, read 2,394,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchtime View Post
Did you get an attorney? Don't give up on SSDI. It took me four long years to get it and having a lawyer really helped me with all the paperwork and knowhow. Thanks for the advise.
Never got an attorney. I applied, was denied..then appealed and denied..then reapplied after some new medical probs cropped up...denied, applealed, sent before a judge who asked me if I could lift a piece of paper up off the table, which I could. "If you can lift a piece of paper, you can work," is what he told me. I have a new medical prob (all of my medical problems are related to the liver transplant I had 23 yrs ago) and now my work credits have run out.

I do hope that you checked the VBN site. I am verynicebecky there as well.

Take care!

Old 08-24-2008, 05:51 AM

7,625 posts, read 13,985,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchtime View Post
Thanks. With the SS claim I had an attorney help me. Couldn't do it without one. Not sure with VA. But I will apply and see what happens. I have nothing to lose and something to gain no matter how small the pension would be. If I am entitled to it why not?
Here is what you should do:

--Go to the VA and file

--Ask for and sign a POA allowing the DAV to act on your behalf (once you have filed, YOU can not ask the status of your claim, but if you have a DAV acting as your Rep, THEY can!)

--Take any and all proof of treatment to include medications you have taken with you from your current/past providers.

The reason it is so important for you to ALWAYS file with the VA on separation from the military is because of the need to establish service connection.

If you have been in Vietnam, and have developed certain medical conditions, they are considering them to be service connected due to Agent Orange exposure.

Say you have hearing loss, but not severe. While they might rate it at even 0%, the fact that it is listed as "service connected" gives you the ability to go back for consideration should that issue degrade.

The problems that many vets face is that they do NOT give retroactive pay for conditions, so IF you have not filed a claim (or had it re-addressed if it has gotten worse), you would not be compensated until you did file. So, if you believe that you have something that is service connected, it is important for YOU to file the claim and let them assess.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-25-2008, 10:31 AM

13,807 posts, read 25,843,414 times
I don't think it's ever "too late" to file, it just gets a lot harder. For anyone reading this that is still active duty, make sure you get everything straight BEFORE you get out/retire.. I believe you can file your claim 90 days in advance and you can also file a claim up to one year after your discharge. I received 20% for carpal tunnel and GERD, but nothing for the, as the VA stated it, extremely well documented sinus problems. I had them for about 15 years of my service and even had surgery for them, but the doctor that did the evaluation did not put down that it hurt me every day. I should've read that better and now I am on an appeal. I also found out about sleep apnea from a coworker after I retired and I put in for that also. It turns out I had a severe case of it and am waiting on that appeal also. It should've only took a few months, but somehow the paperwork that documented I first sought treatment prior to the first year magically disappeared; go figure..
So anyhow, try for everything you can get because it's their and it's your right. Dont' listen to the haters because they're just that. In my office everyone except for three people are disables to some degree and one of the three seriously regrets not being more proactive and is currenlty appealing. Another one is too young and dumb to get it and the third is a civilian that never served and is very jealous.
Also, get representation. I went through the DAV, but there's plenty of other ones out there. I guarantee they know the system a million times more than you do

Old 08-31-2008, 12:11 AM

14 posts, read 95,996 times
Default Service Connected

There is no time limit when you can file a service connected claim, you can file 20 years after you were discharged, it doesn't matter. VA benefit is covered under 38CFR go to this site VBA 38 CFR Book B (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs) you'll find alot of usefull info. Once you are rated for your svc connected condition, you can appeal if you don't agree to the decision (you have 1 year to appeal), or you can even have your case re-open using the VA Form 21-4138. Appeal will take time at least 1 1/2 year but don't be discourage. 38CFR has a lot of info even on the criteria for each condition, ie. PTSD, GERD, etc. I want to encourage all the vets not to be discourage while your case is still pending nor even if you get denied. As far checking on your claim once you filed, it is your rights to check the status on your claim by calling 800-827-1000 just give them your service # or your social security number.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:43 AM

2,833 posts, read 4,023,167 times
Crunchtime, in reply to your post about SSDI and VA claims, I receive both SSDI and VA benefits, however, they are not for the same condition. If your disability is a result from military service then the SSDI claim will be rejected and they will tell you to file a claim with the VA. Both of these can be very time consuming and take years to resolve, but don't give up. If your filing a claim with the VA get all the documentation you can, letters from people you served with, get your own copy of your medical records from the military, sometimes when the VA does the review they will pick and choose through your records. It took me almost 3 years to get my claim accepted by the VA, you just have to keep at it, if they refuse your claim, then file an appeal.
I can understand the VA's position in this due to all the "false" claims they honored in the past and then were forced to review them. If you feel your claim has merit, then don't give up on it.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 26,113 times
What other evidence is needed for combat verification ? I was on a 155 Howitzer on an LZ (Carolyn) that was hit one night by a regiment of NVA. I have my advancement orders (in country) travel orders to Phouc Vinh for DEROS, and of course the pictures of LZ life in 'Nam during my 14 month tour. Put bodies in helos, kicked a severed head the morning after and saw more than that. Been a long time but the memories don't go away, never have-just though I would deal with it personally.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:52 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,949,017 times
I was on the front lines in Korea with a 105 Howitzer Battery and had to pull guard duty at night in front of the gun placement. This was dumb in my opinion as at times a fire mission was called for #3 or #4 gun to fire a round at some previous coordinate from early in the day. Many times it was not done...maybe a dry run by the FO...anyway I'm walking my post in front and BAMMM they fire a round that affected my left ear for a couple of days.

Fast forward 50 plus yrs and I'm at the VA. Tell the provider my problem with no proof since the time lapse in yrs...no problem as I have two new hearing aides today. Best to have the hearing test and be taken care of. Something is better then nothing. I don't get any compensation...never asked for any...just to have my problem/needs taken care of.

Thanks VA..Steve

Old 02-24-2009, 03:21 PM

1,765 posts, read 6,241,556 times
I have two major and a few minor things, recognized by VA, but the days of those big percentages and whatnot are over. That's reserved for our brothers and sisters now missing legs, arms, hands, feet. I hate to even think of the PTSD issue (now and 'nam era). My total percentage is under 5%. I can still walk, run, and think straight. So I didn't challenge it.

I will probably have to go back when I get older and get re-evaluated. I've only been retired 1.5 years and was back in the hospital for a week recently for one of the listed, VA recognized problems. It was rated at 0%, but recognized. It put me down hard, but I'm back on my game now. I don't know what the VA is going to tell me, and as long as I stay up, I don't much care.

The big thing now is dudes going to sleep study for sleep apnea trying to score 50%. Just like gastric stuff was a 5-10 years ago. I think it's a shame. It's got to get reformed.

For crunchtime, I feel your pain. PTSD is somewhat of a touchy thing, but I can tell you they are listing "depression" now as a disability, with low percentages, but it gets us in the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues