Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:51 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,961,247 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever go through this.

I had some fairly minor stuff happen in the service that I'm going to look into receiving disability for. I guy I served with gets $380/mo. for acid reflux so I figured I'd at least look into it. I separated in 2005, so hopefully it won't be a problem.

I'm just looking to see about any else's experience going through this. I just started filling out the information online today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 03:54 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,347,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post

I had some fairly minor stuff happen in the service that I'm going to look into receiving disability for. I guy I served with gets $380/mo. for acid reflux so I figured I'd at least look into it. I separated in 2005, so hopefully it won't be a problem.

I'm just looking to see about any else's experience going through this. I just started filling out the information online today.
Nothing like admitting I have "minor stuff" and seeking disability. We appreciate your honesty. Just fill out the application; we will be looking for your legal affirmed statements, and giving it the attention it merits.

Thank You

Old 07-30-2008, 05:03 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,961,247 times
Thanks for making those judgments already.

It's not like I'm lying about anything. I'll be specific about what the injuries were and not embellish anything. It's all in my medical records so it's not like I'm making anything up.

Besides, minor is relative. I just made that qualifier because I didn't want to give them impression it was something combat related.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:20 PM

958 posts, read 2,125,877 times
My father in law retired from the Air Force in 1970 with "profound" hearing loss. This was due to working on the hydraulic system of aircraft for many years, also well documented in his medical files.
He registered with the VA and applied for a hearing aid and finally got approval fifteen (15) years later.

I served in the Navy and when I went to register with the VA they wouldn't even accept my DD-214 as valid proof I had been in the service.
It was a year before I could convince them just so I could get a registration packet.

On the other hand I have an aunt and uncle that served two years in the Army in the late 1950s. They never left the states and get full VA medical.
So you never know which way the door will swing.
My opinion of the VA is!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2008, 02:00 AM

667 posts, read 2,880,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Nothing like admitting I have "minor stuff" and seeking disability. We appreciate your honesty. Just fill out the application; we will be looking for your legal affirmed statements, and giving it the attention it merits.

Thank You
I considered falling off of a building minor. All I got was a few bruised ribs and a hurt wrist.

The VA says I received nerve damage and partial paralyzation from the fall in my wrist.

So, to me, and untrained medical person, all I knew was that I now can not move my hand around completely, and I can draw blood from it without feeling it. Yes, to me this is minor

So, I say let the medical field be the one to decide what is minor, and what's not.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:33 AM

27 posts, read 117,711 times
I'm not sure how long you have after separation to file your claim.

I actually had a good experience with the VA, particularly the P&C process.

I fought my PEB three times trying to stay on active duty, but when my orthopedic surgeon wrote "not safe to EVER return to sea duty" in my medical record, I was forced to accept the "unfit" findings and file my VA claim.

I didn't want any compensation from the VA, which I stated when I went to my evaluation appointment. Everyone I dealt with seemed very fair about everything.

Example: I have gotten 1-2 migraines per year since I was 12 and obviously don't consider them service-connected. I didn't write them down on my claim form, but the doctor insisted on noting them. I received 0% compensation for them, but the VA provides my medicine if I need it. The VA also treats my service-connected injury. I think that's more than fair.

Because I have good insurance through my job, I don't go to the VA for anything other than my annual evaluation of my injury. I hate how I have to prove to the doctors that I'm not there to get money and I just want to make sure my injury isn't getting worse. But overall I feel like they do a decent job and I'm grateful for their treatment.

I hope it all works out well for you!

Old 07-31-2008, 12:39 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,355,701 times
Here's a thought... Health insurance companies and employers ask if you have every filed for disability. You may receive a few hundred dollars now, but it may cost you more, as when you're older, health insurance could cost you $1000 per month anyway, without the pre-existing injury. Be careful!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:13 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,622,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post

This is what gets me. Acid reflux can happen to people in or out of the military. You can still work with it by taking medicine (my boss does). Free medicine I can agree with, but $380 a month I don't. IMO, this is an abuse of military-connected disabilities.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:47 PM

175 posts, read 462,946 times
I have a similar problem with what I believe is PTDS. I served in Vietnam and over the course of 40 years after leaving Nam I have slowly been getting more depressed and have had bouts with anxiety and panic attacks. Sought treatment on many occassions in the past 20 years after leaving the Navy. In 2002 I lost my job and I completely lost it. I couldn't stay on a new job for more than a month because of my condition. I am now receiving SS disability benefits after four years of denials and refiling with Social Security. Can I also apply for benefits with the VA as I feel my condition was at least in part related to my combat experiences in Vietnam even though I can't prove it? Was on their website but I couldn't get enough info on what happens if I am receiving SS disability payments also. Anyone in the same situation?

Old 07-31-2008, 11:34 PM

713 posts, read 2,709,273 times
Hey Crunchtime..here is an excellent site where you might get your question answered: VBN - Message Board - Yuku
Good luck to you Bud and ty for your service!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues