U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 04:44 PM

420 posts, read 694,987 times
I got a few

The swim test where we jump on the tower. Where they asked who could swim and who couldn't swim. Well all the white guys went to the who could swim side and the black guys went to the I don't know how to swim side. There I was in the middle and since I didn't move fast enough the RDC pointed me out and said there's 1 in every division(a black guy who can swim) and they made me jump 1st and do my laps to let the other guys no its not that bad and you don't have to be scared of the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 04:55 PM

15,387 posts, read 21,534,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
And people actually enjoyed such abuse. Incredible.
Not only do they enjoy [in retrospect] but they will always remember their TI's name.......I went thru AF Basic training beginning on Feb 14 1962 and I will NEVER forget Bobby Joe Tritt or billie Lee for as long as I live.....and if I saw them on the street now I would recognize either one

Old 08-01-2008, 05:39 PM

12,347 posts, read 14,174,705 times
Homesick, homesick,homesick and lonely, so lonely when I lay in my cot listening to taps every night..Even 47 years later, I remember that whenever I hear "taps"

Old 08-01-2008, 07:40 PM

5,080 posts, read 2,702,055 times
Sgt Farmer, Sgt Tully (female) her name was longer but we called her that because no one could pronounce the full name. Sgt Arington, Sgt Beetle.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
And people actually enjoyed such abuse. Incredible.
Its not abuse.. its tearing down, so they can rebuild you better, stronger. There is a bond that forms too, and after its all over with your standing there with your drills and they shake your hand and they kid around with you, and you know it was not personal, it was training to prepare you for the field of battle, so you and your squad mates survive. Ahh there is no feeling of pride as great as standing there after your training...

Old 08-01-2008, 08:05 PM

2,077 posts, read 3,979,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Its not abuse.. its tearing down, so they can rebuild you better, stronger. There is a bond that forms too, and after its all over with your standing there with your drills and they shake your hand and they kid around with you, and you know it was not personal, it was training to prepare you for the field of battle, so you and your squad mates survive. Ahh there is no feeling of pride as great as standing there after your training...
NO....... I enjoyed the abuse. It knocked my punk-A#@ into shape and into place!!!! It changed me in a great way. Boot camp will always be remembered by all.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
NO....... I enjoyed the abuse. It knocked my punk-A#@ into shape and into place!!!! It changed me in a great way. Boot camp will always be remembered by all.
You and me both brother.. you and me both.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:41 PM

40,871 posts, read 42,173,972 times
I rember when the DI's first got ahold of us. Ran us two miles with duffel bags on our shoulders to barracks. Then had us steer at a nil on the side of one telling us to concentrate and drive the nial into the wood flush will will power. Thatwas just the styart. best thing boot camp did for me was that they had your As.. and there was nothing you could do about it.Learned that in lfe to had to take something and just move on because there was nothing you could do about it. Valuable lesson I later put to good use.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:52 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,548,134 times
I remember my first night in basic training. It was a Friday night (May 19, 1972) and after being yelled at for several hours I was wondering to myself that I could have gotten lucky that night as I was invited to a Senior Prom (same night) by a beautiful girl that was in the class a year behind mine.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:17 PM

692 posts, read 1,729,805 times
I was still in the reception station on the 4th of July (1982). We were marched to a theater to watch a movie. It was about some ppl trying to escape the Soviet Union in a hot air balloon. At the time I thought it was some type of propaganda thing, but it turns out it was a real movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues