U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:57 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,162,757 times

Advertisements

I just took my oath this afternoon (US Army reserves, 301st). I ship off to basic July 24th, 2012 (8 months from now). When you choose your MOS, you can pick when you want your ship date to be. As others said, it can be anywhere from a few weeks to a year. I told my recruiter I wanted to finish the upcoming Spring semester of college, so I couldn't ship out to basic until May. After taking the ASVAB, I went through a list of open MOS's that didn't ship until at least May, and found one to my liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 7,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I'm retired military; however, I've long forgotten some things.

My daughter wants to enlist in the air force - she's been talking about it for over a year.

From the moment she meets the recruiter....how long until she goes to basic training?
Well let me tell you this. Those people that say they leave in a week after enlisting is hard to believe for me. I went into the office and just filled out the paper work asking if you had any serious medical issues. Then he said he will call back for a day you can take the ASVAB. It's been a month and I haven't even begun the process. I have called him once every single week. So he knows I am serious about enlisting too. I feel its a test of my patients. So all those people that leave next week. Must be like a family member of the recruiter or something. Since I am actually in the process. I live in Miami Florida.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:31 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,677,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoitsmb3 View Post
Well let me tell you this. Those people that say they leave in a week after enlisting is hard to believe for me. I went into the office and just filled out the paper work asking if you had any serious medical issues. Then he said he will call back for a day you can take the ASVAB. It's been a month and I haven't even begun the process. I have called him once every single week. So he knows I am serious about enlisting too. I feel its a test of my patients. So all those people that leave next week. Must be like a family member of the recruiter or something. Since I am actually in the process. I live in Miami Florida.
He's probably super busy and perhaps lazy, probably has several dozen people in the same situation you're in. Show up in person a couple times a week. Or you can call s different recruiter and tell your story that you're looking to get the ball rolling and will change recruiters if you can make that happen.

I can only speak about the air force, the only way to leave in a week is #1 having an elusive eager recruiter and #2 doing the quick ship program. I'd assume a 7 day window now a days is incredibly rare, yet a four week window is possible.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
it depends on if she wants a specific job (afsc - air force specialty code).. If she's willing to go in without a guarantee for a specific job then it won't take long at all -- probably a couple of months. If she wants a specific job then it could take a year to wait for an opening.
exactly my cousin enlisted and he left almost immediately but they had him packing parachutes so he said nope and got out

Old 03-14-2018, 10:49 AM

23,557 posts, read 37,571,420 times
Quote:
What Does Enlistment Mean?

Enlistment is the process of taking an oath of U.S. Army service and becoming a Soldier. During this process, you will talk to a recruiter, attend Basic Combat Training (BCT), and choose your Army job.

Recruits will generally take these five steps to become enlisted Soldiers:

1. Take the Armed Forces Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB). Your score on this test will determine which Army jobs you are qualified to hold
2. Pass an Army physical
3. Meet with a career counselor to discuss and accept your Army job
4. Take an Oath of Enlistment
5. Ship to Basic Combat Training
From: https://www.goarmy.com/about/serving...d-soldier.html

The basics generally applies to all U.S. Services... It is a real oath.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:15 PM

920 posts, read 960,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
exactly my cousin enlisted and he left almost immediately but they had him packing parachutes so he said nope and got out
He said nope and got out? How exactly did he get out?

Old 03-14-2018, 06:43 PM

2,393 posts, read 559,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
He said nope and got out? How exactly did he get out?
If he wasn't in tech school yet, it's easy to get out. My understanding of that post was that he was packaging parachutes as a volunteer for his recruiter, waiting in the delayed entry program, and decided to bail on the application. Which is 100% allowed. But once you get past basic training, you can't just get out.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:48 PM

3,088 posts, read 8,879,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I'm retired military; however, I've long forgotten some things.

My daughter wants to enlist in the air force - she's been talking about it for over a year.

From the moment she meets the recruiter....how long until she goes to basic training?
It really depends on her. I'm a recruiter for the Air Force, 3 months to a year is average. Depends on how fast she gets everything, as sometimes it take applicants months to do their application and gather medical documents. It also depends on how picky she is about jobs- the pickier, the long it will take.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:49 PM

3,088 posts, read 8,879,348 times
DANG IT. Responded to an old thread again.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:57 PM

9,789 posts, read 6,927,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
DANG IT. Responded to an old thread again.
If you haven't read it, it's still news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues