U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:21 PM

1,492 posts, read 4,584,931 times

Advertisements

I'm retired military; however, I've long forgotten some things.

My daughter wants to enlist in the air force - she's been talking about it for over a year.

From the moment she meets the recruiter....how long until she goes to basic training?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 09:35 PM

441 posts, read 742,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post

My daughter wants to enlist in the air force - she's been talking about it for over a year.

From the moment she meets the recruiter....how long until she goes to basic training?

still gotta do a physical, swear in wait for a school opening. So it all depends on her. It can be as early as a few weeks or up to a year being in the delayed entry program.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:36 PM

5,701 posts, read 17,330,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post

Depends on the openings and the recruiter schedule and quotas. Can be a few weeks or up to a year if taking the Delay Entry Program.

The BMT was extended to 8 weeks (2 weeks) do to self-defense training, something new for the everyday USAF member.

The 737th Training Group provides Air Force Basic Military Training for all enlisted people entering the Air Force, Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard, earning Lackland the nickname, "Gateway to the Air Force."
The Air Force receives approximately 35,000 Airmen each year from the 737th Training Group; the number varies with projected requirements.
Following graduation, Airmen go on to technical training at Lackland or elsewhere before their first Air Force assignment. More than seven million Airmen have completed BMT since 1946.

Lackland Air Force Base - 737TRG

Last edited by sunrico90; 08-03-2008 at 09:51 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 01:10 AM

631 posts, read 1,882,401 times
A lot also depends on the recruitee.

I had a friend that it only took at most 2 days before shipping out. However, she was in a VERY different situation where she had to get out of her situation and the recruiter went to bat for her.

EDIT: For me though it took about 6 months total.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:39 AM

3,508 posts, read 8,684,080 times
It took my son a few months for the background checks, testing, waiting for the job he was enlisting for etc., etc. He's been in a year, so you know how recent it's been.
He has a college degree as well, so the need for his field was high.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:21 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,805,023 times
Yeah, it just depends on the openings etc.

I signed up and went to MEPS somewhere around 5/28/2001. I went to BMT on 6/21/2005. I was able to choose when I wanted to go and that was the one that I wanted.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:04 PM

626 posts, read 1,197,927 times
It depends on if she wants a specific job (AFSC - Air Force Specialty Code).. If she's willing to go in without a guarantee for a specific job then it won't take long at all -- probably a couple of months. If she wants a specific job then it could take a year to wait for an opening.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:42 AM

917 posts, read 1,122,528 times
Of course there are variables involved when enlisting and in what branch.
I had a guaranteed A school going into the Navy and it was two weeks from walking into the office to getting on the plane.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:07 AM

3,508 posts, read 8,684,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
Of course there are variables involved when enlisting and in what branch.
I had a guaranteed A school going into the Navy and it was two weeks from walking into the office to getting on the plane.
Back in 86, I did a 368 lateral transfer from the Army to the Navy and the time it took for the paperwork, was about 2 weeks.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:34 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,608,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Back in 86, I did a 368 lateral transfer from the Army to the Navy and the time it took for the paperwork, was about 2 weeks.
did they send you to LACKLAND AFB for two weeks to get uniforms and some basic training? before tech school? lots of prior service from other branches go in the AF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues