U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 05:03 PM

8,768 posts, read 10,329,110 times

Advertisements

Since this has been resurrected, I just want to remind every USAF Security Police (especially K-9) who served in Thailand with extensive base perimeter defense patrols, that you need to ask your service organization for the declassified PROJECT CHECO report on base defense in Thailand. Set up an appointment with the Agent Orange assessment unit at the VA. Bring that report with you as it establishes that Agent Orange was used along the base perimeters. It sets the presumption that those patrolling the perimeters were exposed. You will need to establish by credible documentation (except USAF SP K-9's) that you spent significant time patrolling along the base perimeter.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 10:41 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,492,358 times
My dad is now in hospice care and won't be around for long. They changed his cancer diagnosis from pancreatic to "Metastatic" something. He has cancer around his lungs and in organs. Anyway, I think his cancer is related to Agent Orange because he never smoked, not a drinker, never overweight and there is no cancer in his family history. The diagnosis is a sort of "catch all" diagnosis because from what I've been told, they never actually found out where it started. I'm just wondering if this can be connected to AO and get some sort of benefit for myself and my mother.

My mother is disabled and I need money to take the time off to get her taken care of, plus my brother is disabled with Spina Bifida that was connected to my dad's AO exposure. It's a huge mess and they live 700 miles from me. I need to get both of them to Denver to live in assisted living near me, and my mother has psychological issues to deal with. Getting some sort of payment would at least allow me to take the time off needed to deal with all this. It's a horrible mess.

Who do you call to talk about such VA benefits?

Old 09-23-2015, 05:58 AM

875 posts, read 521,780 times
Are you aware of how many drafted Vietnam Veterans have died of cancers related to Agent Orange ? One of those Veterans happened to have been my brother-in-law !!!

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-16-2017 at 01:04 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 05:27 PM

3,828 posts, read 2,897,741 times
Is the VA really that bad? I hear all kinds of negative stories. We have a family friend who is a Vietnam vet and was exposed to Agent Orange. He needed cataract surgery. There was a long wait in the city where he lived. There was an open surgery appointment in another city nearby. They put him on a plane for the surgery, put him in a hotel for one day and then flew him back home. All expenses paid by the VA.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-16-2017 at 12:58 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 01:01 AM

1 posts, read 535 times
I was also in the weapons department working in the aft part of the ship as a member of G-3. We worked are ass off in that area. I do remember we were given shot's and pill's and never thought anything of it at the time. We went together as a group to the forward mess decks and took the pills and shots. Its a pretty standard thing to get shots in the military. I don't remember a separate paper we had either. But we did have that fold out blue shot record that went with our medical record. When we were in San Diego after arriving back from Japan the base had a blood drive I went to the blood drive and the red cross asked us questions and one of them was did you serve in the gulf war? I said yes they said we can not take your blood. So again I thought its just a precaution and left it alone. But when checking off the ship to go to my next duty station. Personnel opened my service jacket and ripped out the blue shot record and said " You won't be needing this ". Then they put it in the shredder a gave me my record. they were behind a window with bars. I am 40% disabled for other injury's I had at the VA I went through a three hour interview to be placed on the gulf war registry. At that time I was examined by the doctor. I told him I was tired all the time , Couldn't sleep well and have this aching joints and muscles. He looked at my skin I have what kinda looks like acne on my arms and shoulder 's he said to me you have been exposed to agent orange. I said what are you serious he said yes I am. So I have had up to 21 vials of blood taken at one time on two occasions at the VA for a " routine check up " as they say. 1) Why did we get the shot's after we where there already. 2) why was my shot record destroyed. It is really hard to believe it happened like that but he sure sounds like he believed it happened that way. Maybe we are just casualties of war. We all had gas mask's and practiced all the time. I agree with my shipmate and apparently co-worker that we would have went to GQ, But would we? We were flying and every weapon on the ship was ready to go. Did he know something the rest of us don't? I use to feel something inside me was different to and I think we were exposed at some point to god know's what. We did get those shot's. They did tamper with my record and that is the truth. We will never know the whole truth. But I also remember Midway was the first carrier to go in the Gulf we went in first to insure a carrier could operate safely prior to the other 3 carriers following us in there. In the U.S. paper's President Bush said the Midway is expendable it's getting decommissioned. And he got a waver from the FDA to give us shots that were never tested and approved for human use. Not even tested on lab animals look it up it's all true. I hope all shipmates are all right but they say that the 1st gulf war was the most toxic atmosphere's in history for that time frame. Blowing up weapons they had , Oil wells and tanks fire burning all the time. But the pills and shot's are the problem to me. On my VA medical record my doctor has when I see him It has two stickers on the outside one say's asbestos and the other say"s agent orange. We depleted all the new stuff early in the war then we were getting rid of old **** from vietnam. I would open the containers and each weapon has a log book when it is broken out and the date of the weapon is on their so we dropped old stuff at the end of the war. Funny how Bush's company sold a whole new surplus back to our Government. So I love my old ship , I miss my shipmates. I love my country but I am also sick and this is 100% true

Old 01-16-2017, 11:11 AM

23,630 posts, read 21,964,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
i had prostate cancer in 2015 witch i believe came from Camp Lejeune when i worked there from 1965 to 1994 and i did not qualify for any help so i am filing a class action federal lawsuit on behalf of all people who had prostate cancer or loved ones with deceased person who died from Prostate cancer from Camp Lejeune who worked or lived on Camp Lejeune from 1950 to 1989
I hope you win.... I am still fighting on my Agent Orange Case

Old 01-16-2017, 12:13 PM

4,703 posts, read 4,819,572 times
Add in Agent Orange from RVN and you got little time left.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:47 AM

2,634 posts, read 677,713 times
So sorry, my brother was a VV. He also had issues from AO and finally died from what we thought were related health issues. He also had sever PTSD. Use to fight in the backyard in the middle of the night thinking he was still there. They said they were combat nightmares. It was really difficult.

My nephews who were conceived after he got home after he was exposed to AO also seem to have damage. Joints, stomach, etc.

I agree with keeping records. My brother had a hard time gathering information. In hindsight he wished he would have written everything down, but who thinks of that at the time.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:16 AM

217 posts, read 153,195 times
I see there isn’t much activity on this thread. I posted this elsewhere but will add it here too.

Re agent orange disability application process...

Can anyone explain how this process works? How long it takes, the best way to apply, etc. Assume for this discussion that the vet meets the requirements.

I’ve read the material on the VA website, and others. I understand what is covered and theoretically how to apply. However, several of the links from the website don’t appear to be working, like the e.benefits link. Maybe just temporary, I hope. The closest VA regional office is an hour away. The VA lists intake facilities but I can’t tell what they do...what types of intakes.

I searched this forum and could not find the answer. This is not for me...for a family member. Thanks so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or