Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,905 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for WWII Vets that were a part of the Band of Brothers, they are tough to find now-a-days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,132 times
I was doing research for 22nd Marines on my Uncle Joseph Wayne Vanderbur and saw you post does this ring any bells ?

Old 09-09-2010, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,013 times
John R Deceuster is alive and doing well living near his hometown in Ohio. I had a chance to talk to him about his time with the Double Deuce in the Pacific. He spent time on Guam and Okinawa before peacekeeping in Tsingtao in China. He is quite fond of the days in China as they were stationed at some school. He received the purple heart after being shot in the nose on Okinawa. He talks fondly of those days, but warns about the horrors of war. God bless all those brave men. John was 17 when he enlisted as a marine. Much respect for that generation!

Last edited by WW2Matt; 09-09-2010 at 12:55 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,745 times
I'm looking for any vets alive from WWII 22nd Marines, 6th Marine Division who knew and served on Okinawa with my father Bill Roscioli from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,625 times
Default Reply to Alfred T. Flaherty, U.S.M.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
My dad who is 86 yrs. old is a WWII Vet from the A1 22nd Marines and I was wondering if there's anyone in here who may remember him? He's still alive and well and when I told him about this forum, he asked me to post a thread to see if I could find any of his buddies. His name is Alfred T. Flaherty - Originally from Brooklyn NY.
My father served with A1 22nd Marines from 1942-1945 and would be 88 if still alive. He was also from Brooklyn. He was Cpl. John W. Windram. Does your father remember him? Thank you

Old 02-23-2013, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,584 times
Default Information on Joseph Wayne Vanderbur USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjr1995 View Post
I was doing research for 22nd Marines on my Uncle Joseph Wayne Vanderbur and saw you post does this ring any bells ?

Joseph Wayne was born on December 11, 1921 in Fort Morgan, Colorado. He died on February 18, 1944 on the first day of Battle of Eniwetok. He joined the Marines in 1939 and rose to the rank of Corporal at the time of his death. Prior to his death, he was stationed in Iceland 1941 with the The 1st Provisional Marine Brigade. Upon completion of service in Iceland, he was transferred back to Southern California for serivce in the Pacific in early 1942. His mother Maye, moved to California to be near her son and stayed there for a time in the San Diego area. Upon his deployment she returned to her husband who was working on the Alcan Highway as a supervisor in Alaska. In late 1943, she moved to Washington and in early 1944 moved back to Colorado, when she finally received notice of Joseph's passing in April of 1944. Below is a little history on the Battle of Engebi Island where he died.

Engebi Island
At 0844 on 18 February, two battalions of Marines from the 22nd Marine Regiment landed on Engebi, supported by tanks and a cannon company. Opposition was light, and resistance was bypassed to be mopped up later by flamethrowers and explosives of the engineer company At 0925, naval gunfire ceased, and the island was secure within six hours. 85 U.S. troops were killed or missing with 521 wounded. Japanese losses were 1,276 killed and 16 captured.[URL="http://victoryinstitute.net/history/index.php?title=Battle_of_Eniwetok#cite_note-1"][2][/URL] At 0800 on 19 February, the U.S. flag was raised on Engebi, and "To the Colors" was played on a captured Japanese bugle.

If you want anymore family notes onthis matter, please email me. I have tried to attached a photo that Maye had in her possesions that was mailed to her from one of his buddies from the war and I have seen the photo on the internet.
Attached Thumbnails
Any WWII Vets in here from A1 22nd marines?-uscg-vi-01-36.jpg  

Old 06-23-2016, 11:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,113 times
My father's foster father, who was my "grandpa," was Mervin Leo Ransdell. I found some records that show him mustering into Company A, First Battalion, Twenty Second Marines, Sixth Marine Division in 1945. I know he fought at the Battle of Okinawa, but he passed away in March 2005. He did not speak but a couple of times about his time in the Marines. I know he carried a BAR, which he credited to being the only reason he came home. Being a combat veteran myself, I look back and see how badly he truly suffered the rest of his life from his time in the service. Anyone that could provide some more information about his time in the Marines such as pictures or even memories would be much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues