Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,833 times

Advertisements

I was rated a zero percent at the VA in Hawaii and I retook the examination and was rated again with zero percent at the Texas VA. I was injured at Ft. Hood when I was getting my gear ready for the rail head so it could be shipped out to go to Bosnia. Needless to say, one wrong turn cost me my tailbone and I ended up sitting a donut for months. However, that was eight years ago and I still go to the VA. I'm not giving up. Remember tailbone injures will never heal right. I still can't sit right and may need surgery. The VA is a game and right now I'm losing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 01:33 PM

179 posts, read 556,964 times
But don't they also sometimes define 0% but still 'disabled' to where they'd treat you?
Do you have any options to get other health insurance/ help?

Old 09-19-2008, 07:54 PM

17 posts, read 46,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have an duodendal ulcer which I take drugs for.

I am an ET. If I operate a screwdriver, that twisting motion is just the right motion that my arm, uh, think of hitting your funny bone. If I do a twisting motion my arm does that, it lasts 10 minutes tops.

As an Electronic Tech I would do it a lot. It would be seriously disabling.

But as a farmer I avoid using a screwdriver. If I need to put in a screw I use an electric drill with a screwdriver bit.

I was exposed to a good deal of radiation, and it is all documented. Now I must await brain cancer or leukemia before the connection is made and I can get a disability rating for it.

I have a nerve growth thing in my foot, from wearing crappy boots. Meds made it go away for now. But they tell me it is chronic. If I go back to wear bad boots and standing on steel for long hours, it will come back and then it will need surgery. I avoid standing on steel.

My PTSD is minor I self-med with Bacardi.
How the hell did they manage to ********* like this? Jeez man my ex got out with a disability from shin splints! I kid you not. But he could work the system and I think you have to be good at conning to know how to do that.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel079 View Post
Hi,
just wondering if there's any veterans here or their family members?

Trying to find some people that have made the same "good" experiences with the VA and generally how you got your life "back on track" after all.

I am a veteran and I work for a VA Hospital they are always hiring veterans and I know I treat everyone as I would want to be treated. The paperwork to file for benefits may take a few months but it is worth it and I know where I work we are all about the veterans and try to do as much as possible. To get a job I found networking and luck to be my avenue. I lucked into this job and gave a great interview. I applied through the usa jobs webpage and applied for everything. If you need anything let me know.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:55 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel079 View Post
Hi,
just wondering if there's any veterans here or their family members?

Trying to find some people that have made the same "good" experiences with the VA and generally how you got your life "back on track" after all.
I'm a vet with no experience with the VA. Sorry.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:38 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
I'm currently rated at 20%, but should eventually be rated at 60%. For anyone about to get out/retire, please pay attention to what the VA reps mention in TAP/ACAP. I went to both of them and paid attention and am now enjoying the benefits. I was also accepted to voc rehab and that is not only a degree, but also an extra $671/month tax-free for me. I already have a pretty good job, but the degree will help me get a better one.
It's all a big game and the more you know the better your odds are of winning. Also, don't give up. I don't think there ever is a final verdict, just a waiting game to see how gives up first.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:04 PM

349 posts, read 863,160 times
i was in the army for 6 years, been to korea. kuwait and iraq, got out in jan 07, husband got out in oct 07, he got 40% for his back and ptsd and i decided to make my claim and got 30% for depression. anybody know if the va will cover maternity, labor and delivery???

Old 10-10-2008, 06:47 PM

713 posts, read 2,717,474 times
I have been using the VA Healthcare System for over 23 years and only twice did I feel as though I my needs weren't being met. I have had worse care while in a civilian hospital (the university hospital in Las Vegas, NV, which I think is now shut down). I am not really understanding what the OP means by when does life get back to normal. In my case, never, lol.

Here is the VA website that explains eligibility...hope it helps: VA Health Care Eligibility & Enrollment

Another good site is the Veterans Benefit Network: VBN - Message Board - Yuku

Old 10-11-2008, 12:08 AM

3 posts, read 6,444 times
I served in the Army from 1972 to 1992. No VA Benefits

I spent 30 days in the nut ward of Walter Reed. Army doesnt teach you about being non-military after being in a regimented lifestyle for 20 years. You need to learn to speak to people who can say No to you and you need to learn how to dres other than in Camo. Woke up one morning and said, what shirt do I wear, what tie goes with this suit, what shoes goes with thse pants. Didnt know what to do. So, was sent to Walter Reed with other retirees that went in at 18 or 19 and never learned how to dress civilian.

Took several years to unmilitary me. Being in for 20 years and getting out is like releasing a crminal whose done 20 years in prison. No different only no criminal record. My 20 years as a medic meant nothing in the civilian world. Had to start at the bottom and learn a whole new jobprofesion. Now a coder and biller. Wish the army trained me this when they issued me retirement orders.

I deal with Vet claims every day. Many get denied due to no authorization for going to the ER. About 90% of the denials I appeal. I write to the SecDef and SecVA who could care less if the soldiers get the care they need. But, I do get the VA to pay. Had a heart attack last year and stoke this year. Civilian care sucks. If I stayed in the hospitals, i would have died due to the lack of care.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:50 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
I have been using the VA Healthcare System for over 23 years and only twice did I feel as though I my needs weren't being met. I have had worse care while in a civilian hospital (the university hospital in Las Vegas, NV, which I think is now shut down). I am not really understanding what the OP means by when does life get back to normal. In my case, never, lol.

Here is the VA website that explains eligibility...hope it helps: VA Health Care Eligibility & Enrollment

Another good site is the Veterans Benefit Network: VBN - Message Board - Yuku
Hay there Verynicebecky,

Glad to see your still around, later gator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues