U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:04 PM

862 posts, read 772,992 times

Advertisements

Military has been about 3/4 Republican since about 1950.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:19 PM

451 posts, read 1,097,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Personally, I'm not sure if it'll make a difference which party gets into the White House for me. All I really want my president to do is just let us Americans live our lives. There are things I like about the Republicans but I'm more than a little concerned about any politician bringing his/her religious beliefs into their job... I admire both McCain and Palin but parts of their campaigning on certain issues bothers me. I also admire Obama and hope the Democrats don't think that pouring excessive money into social programs of dubious value is the way to buy votes...(BOTH parties like to do that to buy votes, FWIW) I guess I'd describe my self as a fiscally conservative, Second Amendment-supporting Democrat...

I've always heard that Republicans are more military-friendly but my personal belief is that Republicans are probably more defense-contractor friendly but that neither party is really more friendly to the troops on the ships, in the foxholes or on the flightline. Just my opinion.

The last part of your paragraph should win post of the week if there was such a thing.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:05 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,889,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
I really appreciate all of your posts. After starting this thread (with all good intentions!) I kind of started second guessing myself whether I should have opened it. I am so glad that, so far, I haven't "started" something!

Thanks so much for replying to me in the manner to which I intended this thread! My family and I were just so interested in what the general "feelings" were about this.

Kat
Hi Kat! I'm glad you started this thread, too! OF COURSE, we military folks (and family members) are SO worldly and learned that we can discuss issues of great importance with civility and respect! I really do wish I had the magic answer, though. As I listen to and read all the different media outlets every day, I find myself going back & forth. I'm currently registered "Democrat" and was of that persuasion most of my earlier life. But I have leaned a lot more towards the "R"s as I've gotten older. I see that hard work really does get you rewards and I really don't want the government to tell me how to run my life or pay for programs that are unecessary or wasteful. But I am both mortified and hopeful about all four candidates (and all for different reasons) I like some of what Ralph Nader has to say. But I truly believe that I'd be throwing away my vote if I cast it for him... What's an old retired G.I. to do?

Last edited by Crew Chief; 09-08-2008 at 03:22 AM..

Old 09-08-2008, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
The last part of your paragraph should win post of the week if there was such a thing.
Thanks, B.H81! I believe President Eisenhower had it right when he warned us of the "Military-Industrial complex". Don't get me wrong, I've always believed in a strong defense. I know that concept can be VERY subjective. There is NOTHING more awesome than working on the most cosmic jet fighter, latest warship or any other awesome weapon system the U.S. military has. And backing that up with our solid American values (at least the ones that Americans far removed from Washington have...) But we truly need to balance our genuine needs with "cosmic new toys" the politicians, defense contractors and senior military leadership crave. I, unfortunately, don't know how to remove the politics from weapons procurement & deployment...

Last edited by Crew Chief; 09-08-2008 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: Original post had WAAAY too many "And"s!

Old 09-08-2008, 04:47 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,825,352 times
Default My opinion

Our politicians are so bad that a guy with no experience and a militant wife can become president. I am not voting because both are tiresome and disgenius. But I do agree with Obama's statement of "Old Politics" America has to get out away from that thought process. I lean towards Obama but again I am not voting because I am tired of the BS. A constant phrase I hear at work is "Lesser of 2 evils" which is garbage but that's what we've been getting for about 20 years "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" and "Read my lips, no more taxes." Ok, I complained enough. Good luck, America!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:05 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,864,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I would hope this thread goes nowhere cuz if it gets started it can only get nasty and go downhill eventually.

Perhaps this subject should be on the political thread where "nastiness" abounds.
yep..

Old 09-08-2008, 08:29 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,987,475 times
I think for the most part either ticket will spend about the same although i'd give the edge to the Republicans.

That being said i'm so glad i got to see and experience Prez Reagan and Sec of Defense Caspar Weinberger build our Navy up to the 600 ship fleet in the 80's to take on the Soviet Union Navy and to convert Prez Carter's/Ford's decrepit Steam Turbine fleet to the Newer modern Gas Turbine Propulsion System Navy (Subs and Carriers were Nukes) along with the newer Weaponry onboard our Ships.

Forever a Squid!
Go Navy !!!
6/3

Old 09-08-2008, 08:56 AM

2,584 posts, read 9,363,535 times
I'm not in the military; however, my son is enlisted - I asked him and he is excited about McCain/Palin and scared about Obama/Biden...

Old 09-08-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I think for the most part either ticket will spend about the same although i'd give the edge to the Republicans.

That being said i'm so glad i got to see and experience Prez Reagan and Sec of Defense Caspar Weinberger build our Navy up to the 600 ship fleet in the 80's to take on the Soviet Union Navy and to convert Prez Carter's/Ford's decrepit Steam Turbine fleet to the Newer modern Gas Turbine Propulsion System Navy (Subs and Carriers were Nukes) along with the newer Weaponry onboard our Ships.

Forever a Squid!
Go Navy !!!
6/3
AMEN! Personally, I don't know why the USAF couldn't just buy the USN/USMC F/A-18 and save the taxpayers some SERIOUS money over the F-22 Raptor...

Old 09-08-2008, 01:03 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,244,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I would hope this thread goes nowhere cuz if it gets started it can only get nasty and go downhill eventually.

Perhaps this subject should be on the political thread where "nastiness" abounds.
You are assuming before there were any responses. Sounds like you want the nastiness to abound b/c you contributed nothing to the post except an attitude.

As for the OP's question: My dh & I were both in the Army as commissioned officers so hope that's ok b/c I see you asked enlisted opinions. My dh is the walking, talking, breathing historian in our family & can talk about presidents for days on end. Me, not so much

My dh was in NW Baghdad '05-'06 during a very rough stretch. His company lost 7 men; his Battalion lost over 40.

He was all for McCain until McCain's visit in 07 when over 200 Soldiers were pulled off their usual jobs & for perimeter security. This is when McCain made the statement along the lines that he was able to stroll throught the marketplaces & it was no different than some countryside marketplaces in America. I do know there was a senator who made a comment that an area of Baghdad was no different than the countryside of Indiana, but not sure who made that statement. All I know was that it really surprised both of us how he seemed to want to sell the situation in Iraq as the current sitting president. My dh said that McCain's trip was a PR stunt that put Soldiers in danger.

As for Palin. Well, it's obvious he chose her to pull in the Hillary voters. McCain met her for the FIRST time in Feb 08. Ok, how long has this man been in government office & his choice was someone he meet 7 months ago? Not so sure about her yet. I have some big issue with her accepting the position seeing the extreme family issues she has at this current time. She also made a statement a few months back to a Christian group that the US's role in Iraq was the will of God. She's just made some iffy comments.

We have no idea who we want to vote for in Nov. We do not feel comfortable at this time with either.

Obama's tax strategy is scary and some other gray areas he has do concern us. His foreign affairs experience is weak though so is Palins.

McCain is to be commended for what he has done & the fact that he did wear a uniform is very refreshing. He supported the surge & while it is controversial it seems it may have worked more than it hurt.

I like McCain b/c of his past performances. Not so crazy about him since he started running in this election. As for Palin, too early to tell. I need to hear more.

We are looking forward to the debates. Most of our friends are on the fence. Not so sure why everyone assumes military members are Republican. I knew more Soldiers who do not care for our current sitting president than do care for him.

May the best person win. This country needs leadership that is going to slowly start to fix some very very serious issues. I hope whoever wins is capable of being truthful, ethical, moral, and professional.

Keep in mind, Palin is governor of state that gets paychecks from oil companies.

McCain needs to convince people he is a different Republican & not so sure if he is at that point, yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues