Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:59 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times

Advertisements

Mage, the Oakdale commissary is still open. They'll be relocating in a year or so but they are open in their old location for now. We haven't found better prices for meat or dairy anywhere in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 05:29 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mage0213 View Post
Obviously an error in my registration- lost my original post I'll try again- My experience with the AAFES system is: I can get the same (or comparable) merchandise at my local Walmart for about the same price- the difference is that the AAFES system doesn't charge sales tax- big deal- once or twice a year Lowes offers military personell a 10% discount. The commissary may be a little less expensive than the local walmart, Fred meyer, etc but the surcharge pretty much eliminates any savings- This is what happens I guess when the Government ceases caring about the retirees and veterans who are (have ) willingly put their lives on the libe in it's defense. i used to shop at the oakdale Commisasary/BX here in PA but apparently BRAC closed it down- the nearest military base is over 200 miles away- so much for buying dairy products or other heat sensitive product- My choices are now Wright Patt(270 mi) and Ft Indiantown Gap(200 mi) My only usable retired benefit is the ability to stay on any military base while on vacation now (who can afford vacations today?)
I rarely find anything cheaper at AAFES vs walmart. Even Best Buy has the 110% price match which will offset the tax.

For the commissary, it's always hit or miss. A lot can depend on "brands" vs "products". EG, if you want Oatmeal, walmarts/sam clubs great value brand is cheaper than the commissary's QUAKER brand. But the QUARKER brand is cheaper at the commissary. Most have the self checkout so you do not have to tip if you don't mind doing your own bagging; like you'd have to go anywhere else.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:06 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
My biggest gripe with the commissary is the produce. Most of it looks like it fell off the back of a truck. I've been to commissaries from coast to coast and they are all the same, they must get their produce from the cheapest sources available. Fruits and veggies are either bruised, over ripe, or previously frozen. It doesn't help that they saturate the leafy veggies with that shower which ruins the lettuce. Can never find good garlic, onions or pears either. Other than that, I save a fortune on my groceries by shopping at the commissary.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:48 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68
My biggest gripe with the commissary is the produce. Most of it looks like it fell off the back of a truck. I've been to commissaries from coast to coast and they are all the same, they must get their produce from the cheapest sources available. Fruits and veggies are either bruised, over ripe, or previously frozen. It doesn't help that they saturate the leafy veggies with that shower which ruins the lettuce. Can never find good garlic, onions or pears either. ....
I agree.

At our commissary [where my Dw works and where I stock shelves] the produce prep room is filled with fresh produce. It comes in and each box is dated. The boxes wait as the produce out in the store is bought or thrown-out, before the 'new' stuff' goes out into the store. It is normally in the prep room for 3 days to a week, getting older before it can go out into the store.

Our produce section has a built-in system of misters, but they are shut-off, and the produce section is not in a cooler. If you look closely it is easy to find mold growing on the strawberries pretty much everyday. Coolers cost too much and misting makes a mess. So management will not allow either method of keeping produce longer.

When the produce is in the prep room, it is maintained cool. But once it goes in the store, it is at room temp, until it spoils.

I am certain that if the produce were kept cool, it would last better.

If it were misted, or rinsed with chlorinated water the mold would be retarded, and it would look better. But they do not listen.

Our state does grow a lot of potatoes, but DECA buys potatoes from Idaho. So even though there is local veggies, potatoes, lettuce, and peaches to be bought; the commissary will not stock local produce.

They had a big display about Idaho potatoes and put them on sale. It was pointed out by many customers, that we live in a potato producing area, so making a big deal of having Idaho potatoes was dumb and insulting. In the end, the potatoes rotted and the pallet loaded with potatoes went to the dumpster.

They just opened a new super-walmart nearby. They buy local produce, so less is spent on shipping and they get produce fresher. Fresher produce for lower prices; in our circumstance the other local stores beat the commissary for produce. Both in terms of freshness and in price.

One of the issues which I have heard, which may point to the real problem. Is that none of the store managers are ID card holders. They are men who have no on-base privileges. Their wives do their shopping and meals for them. They can not shop in a commissary, and they are not 'shoppers'.

Many of the store workers are retirees, who do shop at the commissary. But after years of trying to make sense out of the system; they quit, and now they simply do their assigned tasks each day.

I see a major problem in the situation where nobody making decisions about the commissary shops in the commissary, and none of them are 'shoppers'.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:07 PM

97 posts, read 389,949 times
The prices seem to go up up up and then the surcharge is just ridicules. I might as well go shopping at Wal-mart .

Old 08-05-2009, 05:10 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,306 times
Let me see~ commissary was operated at cost of goods
+ a small markup when I was in service~ and exchange was required to price so they would not take business from civilian businesses. Have these regulations changed? If not yes~ by shopping loss leaders and bargains you may beat military prices on outside. Commissary and exchange were never meant to crush civilian prices, just provide opportunity to get needed items without letting civilians gouge on a captive audience!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:59 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
I believe the Commissary surcharge is currently 5% and has been that rate for a long time. But you don't pay sales tax, which could be a big savings depending on where you live. The Commissary has pretty good prices on some items. You can shop around, if you don't like the Commissary, then gosh, don't use it....

Rich

Old 08-06-2009, 05:15 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I believe the Commissary surcharge is currently 5% and has been that rate for a long time. But you don't pay sales tax, which could be a big savings depending on where you live. The Commissary has pretty good prices on some items. You can shop around, if you don't like the Commissary, then gosh, don't use it....

Rich
Yep it has been around for a while. The reason behind it is that it does go back into the commissary itself to help improve it. In some places, its better than paying 9.25 or 9.75%
Between going to another area store vs. the commissary, I save roughly 30-50 when I go depending on what I purchase

Old 08-06-2009, 05:27 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Commissary has pretty good prices on some items. You can shop around, if you don't like the Commissary, then gosh, don't use it....

Rich
The issue is that it's original mission statement which still gets marketed by recruiting and retention is that commissary is a huge $$$ saving benefit of being in the military. Us as military members have to do the "fact checking" of the government by shopping in multiple places.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:23 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
The issue is that it's original mission statement which still gets marketed by recruiting and retention is that commissary is a huge $$$ saving benefit of being in the military. Us as military members have to do the "fact checking" of the government by shopping in multiple places.
I think that is an unfare statement. I have been using the Commissary system for 41 years. I do think it is a benefit for military personnel but it is not going to please everyone. Nothing is perfect and I've seen some Commissaries better than others. Now that I think about it, my wife worked at one of the Commissaries for a few years. I don't recall any major insider secrets that she shared.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues