U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-08-2008, 05:26 PM

334 posts, read 573,191 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm new to this forum and have two sons who recently joined the Airforce. One is in Tech school the other in BMT. The question is when can someone start taking college classes and get TA? I was under the impression that after graduating tech school one could begin taking college courses (in their free time) and receive TA. But my son (19 and first time out on his own) says you have to reach a certain rank or number of years before they allow you to take and pay for classes. Can someone straighten this out for me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 12:36 AM

3,823 posts, read 10,095,415 times
I'm pretty sure you can not take college courses while in BMT or Tech School. After that, I never heard about being a certain rank. You just need your supervisor's approval.

Air Force Tuition Assistance - Education - Military.com

Old 10-09-2008, 10:41 AM

6,351 posts, read 13,444,202 times
Hi Debvic! Airmen in BMT and tech school really have no time for off-duty education. Once they arrive at their first "permanent" assignment (after all training is finished), they will be working on their upgrade to their "5-level" (the military equivalent of becoming a journeyman in a trade union) Getting their 5-level includes a "home study" course and other requirements will keep the Airman pretty busy the first few months at their permanent base. Once they are awarded their 5-level and, as Steel Man says, gets their supervisor's OK, they're ready to get some off-duty education.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:51 AM

334 posts, read 573,191 times
Thank you for the explanation. What you said about reaching their "5" level was the part I didn't understand from my sons explanation.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:56 AM

6,351 posts, read 13,444,202 times
Glad to be of service, Debvic! And we're proud of your sons! (If it helps; it seems like just yesterday I was at Lackland...)

Old 10-09-2008, 11:44 PM

3,823 posts, read 10,095,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Hi Debvic! Airmen in BMT and tech school really have no time for off-duty education. Once they arrive at their first "permanent" assignment (after all training is finished), they will be working on their upgrade to their "5-level" (the military equivalent of becoming a journeyman in a trade union) Getting their 5-level includes a "home study" course and other requirements will keep the Airman pretty busy the first few months at their permanent base. Once they are awarded their 5-level and, as Steel Man says, gets their supervisor's OK, they're ready to get some off-duty education.
Correct! I was going to mention upgrade training (UGT) to 5-Level but thought it might be too technical. But just in case here is a breakout of AF skill levels (and promotion info):

Air Force Enlisted Promotion System (Page 2)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues