Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:00 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

Examples: Columbia University is where one of their professors, still on staff today, called for the deaths of millions of US soldiers.
Berkeley, CA wanted to tell Marine recruiters they were "unwelcomed and unwanted intruders in their city".
Bainbridge Island, Washington parade had a Marine called baby killer and murderer by many in the crowd as he walked in the parade.
Have any of you come across cities and universities like the ones above?

Old 10-11-2008, 09:27 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
During my time on active duty, I found the people in Honolulu to be the most unfriendly towards military people.
But then, in 1967, I found that you did NOT want to let anybody know you had been in Viet Nam, no matter where you were.
Now, I get sick of people fawning over veterans. "Oh, THANK YOU for your service to OUR country!"
yeah, right, where t'hell were you in 1966-1975 when we NEEDED some thanks from somebody, any body, other than relatives (if we were lucky). Oh, right, some of you weren't born yet! How about, instead of THANK YOU, you could maybe tell your people in Congress to restore some of the benefits they took from Veterans?
Bitter? Yeah, I guess I am.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:40 PM

As a kid in the 70s I use to wonder why my dad would take a few deep breaths before telling me to change the channel when Walter Cronkite came on the news. After I came back from Desert Storm he was finally willing to talk about Vietnam and people like Walter Cronkite and Jane Fonda. It irks me too when people do that. We don't expect nor ask for that kind of stuff. What we don't want is how veterans were treated during and after Vietnam.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:11 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,946 times
gotta agree ~ people these days think " thank you" will be enough pay~ to those with PDSD and limbs missing and other ills caused by the war! We really should provide for them at least as well as we viet vets were~ and we weren't even appreciated.. I think its gonna be even worse for the new vets a few years down the line!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:53 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
There's an old saying: "Nothing's too good for our military. And nothing's usually what they get"... I guess I've been pretty darn lucky. I went to a military school in high school (in the early 1970's) and I remember us being taunted when we marched in local parades. But I went through my military career generally feeling like we in the armed forces were supported by our fellow Americans.

As for our veteran's administration, I feel they could do a better job (as well as Congress AND our senior military leadership) taking care of veteran's needs. I can't help but think that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are largely a "non-issue" for too many Americans. Is that because our men and women serving are doing such an outstanding job that the rest of us don't worry? I don't know. I've always had the nagging fear that politics gets in the way of doing right for our military personnel (be they active, guard/reserves or veterans/retirees).

Old 10-12-2008, 10:16 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Examples: Columbia University is where one of their professors, still on staff today, called for the deaths of millions of US soldiers.
Berkeley, CA wanted to tell Marine recruiters they were "unwelcomed and unwanted intruders in their city".
Bainbridge Island, Washington parade had a Marine called baby killer and murderer by many in the crowd as he walked in the parade.
Have any of you come across cities and universities like the ones above?
You are always going to find pockets of areas that are anti-military. Berkely is one of the most liberal colleges in this country and Columbia is not far behind. Isn't Columbia the one where the Iranian president makes yearly visits.

I pay little attention to those places. I find the rhetoric quite humerous or rather naive.

I also understand that my service as well as my dh's is the reason this universities & cities are allowed to so publicly express their voice & opinion.

It's incredibly sad that people cannot support the actual servicemember but again, it's their right as a citizen of this country.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:42 PM

I think part of the problem with the war in Afghanistan and Iraq is the news media. When things seem to be going wrong with our troops those reporters are all over the place. When things seem to be going well for our troops those same reporters stop covering the area. In WW1 & 2 there were news stories about heros from those wars, some of whom were awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor and their bravery in combat was used as an inspiration to the young. If the news media do cover a Congressional Medal of Honor story, it's usually like a footnote story to drop and let disappear. Back in the early to mid 90s when we found out a reporter from CNN, ABC, CBS, or NBC was onboard the ship we would half-jokingly reply to each other, "Enemy Arriving" or "Fox in the henhouse". If we saw anyone that looked like a they could be a civilian reporter onboard we'd be polite but closed mouth and refuse to answer questions except for giving directions around the ship. Terry Moran of ABC news even admitted that the news media is biased against the military.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:36 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
How about anywhere the nut balls of the Westboro Baptist Church go? Yeah they go all over the U.S. to picket the funerals of deceased U.S. service men and hold up signs like "thank God for dead soldiers".

Old 10-13-2008, 09:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
So the topic of this thread is to demonize colleges and universities that don't pander to the military-industrial complex. Interesting.

How would people know if you're a veteran or not unless you wear it on your sleeve?
We're not special because we're veterans. We come in all shapes, sizes and political beliefs.
Noe everyone will fit into the cookie cutter shape you're trying to put all of us in.

I'm a veteran, liberal and educated at both conservative and liberal universities.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:30 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Chielgirl, you've hit one of my pet peeves! There's nothing that drives me nuts, while listening to a radio talk show, than some caller attributing some belief to "our men & women in uniform"... You said it: "We're not special because we are veterans. We come in all shapes, sizes and political beliefs. Not everyone will fit into the cookie cutter shape you're trying to put all of us in".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues