Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 01:03 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,255,342 times

Advertisements

I am currently trying to figure this out (Google, etc) but thought someone here might also know.

I am 37 years old and haven't needed / been asked for my birth certificate in I don't know how long. Ever??? I'm sure my mom needed it for me back when I was in school but neither of us know where it is NOW.

Well, of course now I need it.

I was born on a US Air Force base in Japan. How do I get a copy of my birth certificate now, here, in San Antonio, TX... and preferably as fast as possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 01:11 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,118,764 times
?call DOD or USAF and ask? I really cannot answer this one! My sons were born stateside!

Old 10-15-2008, 01:21 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,763,892 times
I was born in Berlin while my Dad was stationed in Germany. My birth certificate was issue by the US State Department through the US Embassy in Berlin. When my son was born in the Philippines same deal, but we also got a birth certificate from the Philippine government. When we got his birth certificate at the US Embassy in the Philippines they said don't ever lose this it will be next to impossible to replace.

We still have three major Air Force bases in Japan they are Kadena, Yokota, and Misawa maybe contacting one of those bases or the State Department will be your best bet.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:01 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,255,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
I was born in Berlin while my Dad was stationed in Germany. My birth certificate was issue by the US State Department through the US Embassy in Berlin. When my son was born in the Philippines same deal, but we also got a birth certificate from the Philippine government. When we got his birth certificate at the US Embassy in the Philippines they said don't ever lose this it will be next to impossible to replace.

We still have three major Air Force bases in Japan they are Kadena, Yokota, and Misawa maybe contacting one of those bases or the State Department will be your best bet.
Thanks.

I found some links suggesting I contact the US Passport office... and supposedly if they can do it it takes 8 weeks.

I need this for an appointment next Wednesday. I think I'm just going to tell them they are crazy for requesting it and see how far that gets me.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:33 AM

21 posts, read 105,033 times
My daughter was born in Germany when I was stationed there in the '70s. I remember her birth certificate was issued by the U.S State Department. I would try the following URL to start as I suspect being born in Japan would have similar birth certificate.

Documentation of U.S. Citizens Born Abroad (http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_828.html - broken link)

Old 10-25-2010, 01:38 PM

4 posts, read 34,614 times
Same problem here.. Wifes Father stationed in Misawa Japan late 50's .. Wife has a birth certificate from a USAF hospital in san fran.... Florda DMV said no way.. Has a stamp seal etc .. they still wont take it..

Old 10-25-2010, 03:38 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,013,910 times
As a point of information I found that because I was born to a U.S. military couple in the Panama Canal Zone I could not get a U.S. passport with my own birth certificate. When born abroad you gain citizenship through an American parent/s. I needed to supply an original copy of my mother's BC and mine to get my passport.

You can not get a copy of your BC from the US Passport Office. Google it, I believe it's the state department.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:55 PM

23,917 posts, read 10,269,303 times
As long as the parents filed for "birth abroad" the child is golden so to say.

Somewhere along the line a birth certificate was used - start with school districts, DoD, contact the hospitals still operating in Japan. As far as your appointment goes - explain there is an issue and you are dilligently working on it.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,837,655 times
Misawa still going strong? Last time I was there was in 1951 while being stationed in the Army at Camp Haugen.

What happened to Tachikawa Air Base? Dated the Japanese girlfriend of a 1st Lt pilot stationed there. Loooooong story there.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:35 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,868,733 times
Consular Report of Birth Abroad is what the official document is called.

Replace or Amend a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

is the link on information on how to get a copy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues