Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 06:27 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times

Advertisements

i am a Sophmore at a high school in indiana. i have ambitions of majoring in Law when i get into College. and i am interested in joining the Coast Guard and was wondering how i could join the CG? could i go to a National Guard Recruiting station and find information from there or what will i need to do in order to join?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 08:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
i am a Sophmore at a high school in indiana. i have ambitions of majoring in Law when i get into College. and i am interested in joining the Coast Guard and was wondering how i could join the CG? could i go to a National Guard Recruiting station and find information from there or what will i need to do in order to join?
Why not google U S coast Guard and find their site. Also look in the telephone book.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:18 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
Here is a link to another thread about joining the Coast Guard.

Any Coast Guard here? want info

I am including the link the USCG website, you can find a link there for your local recruiter. Am also including a link that discusses some CG careers.

UNITED STATES COAST GUARD:
USCG: Careers

Does your high school have a JROTC program? If you participate, they will be able to write letters of recommendation, etc for you. Good luck, you will make your parents very proud.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:06 PM

432 posts, read 1,879,274 times
Have you thought about applying to the US Coast Guard Academy for college? My son just started there this year.

You're a sophomore, you have time to plan this right.

USCGA is very selective, and not for everyone. But if it is the right fit for you, it is a wonderful place. You get a great college education, tuition free, and a great career. My son wants to major in Government, and has an interest in law enforcement and possibly going to law school. Most of the majors there are science or engineering related, but there are others.

They have a program in the summer for one week for you to try it out, to see if it is for you before you apply. That's the summer between your Junior and Senior year.

At present, you don't need a congressional nomination, but that may change soon so it would be like the other service academies.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:49 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
The Coast Guard is a military service, as is the Marine Corp, Navy, Air Force, and Army. It's just that the other 4 are funded by the Department of Defense and the CG isn't. That's why some people don't think that they're really military, but a civil service. Being retired from CG, I can vouch for any CG member. They are very much military, and civil. Call any unit, or a CG recruiter. Have your research completed, so you'll not be distracted by something you may not really want.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:07 PM

It is a great outfit, and my son is challenged but happy.

This year several graduates of USCGA will have the opportunity to train as Navy SEALS. They do a lot of work with the Navy.

It's a great opportunity - free college and a job waiting for you when you graduate. By the time you have fulfilled all the obligations, you are still young, and well prepared to do anything you want. With a decent salary and no student loan debt.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:51 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
Yep! The CG Academy is rated, among universities with engineering departments, with Duke, Carnegie Mellon, Purdue, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton... If I could live my live over...

Old 11-12-2008, 05:38 PM

144 posts, read 158,774 times
Does anyone know what "A" school is in the Coast Guards?
THis is for someone who is over the age limit up to 32.
They must quailfy for this school. Could someone help me
out on this one. Thank you.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:31 AM

From Wikipedia:

Service Schools
Following graduation, most members are sent to their first unit while they await orders to attend advanced training in Class "A" Schools. At "A" schools, Coast Guard enlisted personnel are trained in their chosen rating, the Coast Guard's (and Navy's) version of the Army's and Marine Corps's MOS and Air Force's AFSC. Members who earned high ASVAB scores or who were otherwise guaranteed an "A" School of choice while enlisting can go directly to their "A" School upon graduation from Boot Camp.

There's some cross training with the Navy.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:55 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,123 times
I knew a guy who walked into the Coast Guard recruiter saw a poster on the wall of a Cutter in Alaska. He said I want to do that and later that year he was on a ship in Alaska and loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues